Boards < General < General Chat < Beast Keeper Rants!

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 ... 38 39 40 ... 73 74 | Next »

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-04 14:12:08 — Link

RaptorKitty, I just acquired a GP2 hoopoe deviant this morning, if you want to borrow him? :)

As for my "quest for perfect genes" gryph breeding, I worry about not having enough to prevent inbreeding. So many of them are related, after a couple more generations there'll be no options left. Then it'll be tricky to raise a bunch more good stock from elsewhere.

Maybe can keep cheating with careful mutagen-tossing, heh. Grab a random spare gryph with GP and different ancestry, mutate and see if they gain some good genes, then fold them into the program like ingredients in a cake mix... an epic, squawking, feathery cake mix.

(now I have sudden urge to draw Cake Gryphons... custom skins ahoy)

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-04 14:38:57 — Link

I see your gryphon, sitting in a cake with the top of the cake on its head, candles still lit, surrounded by presents...

I have some nice gp3 gryphs for you, they have a few nice genes and the odd good recessive. When they grow up I'll send them your way.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-05 22:54:56 — Link

I'm trying to bring back GP3 Passerines, and the gene pool is so small because all the people with GP3 Passerines have quit ;-; So I was really excited about that stupid deviant. I would accept you on your offer Marans, but Strikdace is one of my primary breeding stock uses, so it wouldn't advance the gene pool any :c

You can look through my gryphons and see if you'd like any of them, I usually keep the good stats for myself.

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-06 21:26:58 — Link

Oh, that's a challenge indeed... apparently I have 270+ gryphs, fewer than 10 are passerines. Most are wild (and not very good) and only one has GP3 and also isn't related to Strikdace. I don't think any of them are homozygous.

What makes passerines so rare? I've never seen a robin with any GP, or many robins at all actually. Think PantherSeal had one in the arena once (I actually did a double-take at that), and there's another floating around the pound. Such huge numbers. x)

Anyway, not a rant (yet) but I find the 3-generation inbreeding thing a little baffling sometimes. Once I got a non-inbred baby despite having the same ancestor on both sides - fresh in one line and at the edge of another. Somehow it didn't get picked up... unless I was counting wrongly. So many names and levels to keep up with!

Today's breeding is risky in the same way, so I hope the baby will be red-star-free too. Otherwise it will be very displeasing if good genes get mucked up.

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-06 21:37:10 — Link

This should really be in Beastkeeper Yays, but I finally bred my gryphon with Sharp Feathers! Has Musical beak and counterstrike too, and he's a Snow Leopard! That means he can fulfil about four different quests. Definitely a keeper! I just can't give him a beautiful skin, cos then he won't be able to fulfil the Snow Leopard quest. Oh well, I can always breed another one right? He has homozygous Cat genes, which means I could always turn himj into a girl and try to breed nice deviants from him...

I don't know hom many unicorns I have now but it's probably far too many. I wish I could stop. Found a very nice one in the Pound today :D

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-06 22:09:40 — Link

Congrats arete. How long were you trying to get that?

One other tiny moan that occured to me: breeding for GP. It seems strange that 1 + 3 results in 1. When both parents are level 50, numbers are generally hoped to increase. Surely it would make more sense to get GP2 from that pairing...

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-07 03:15:14 — Link

I ended up just getting premium membership,  0 chance of inbreeding with the inbreeding alerts... It's pretty expense though, which is pretty unfair, but if you're on all boards, that's at least 40 gold. Still sucks, I would love inbreeding alerts at any type of membership, especially since they're creating a totally different game.

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-08 01:20:29 — Link

Fortunately, the baby was not inbred. I just got confused with similar names.

I don't think premium is too expensive. Lots of games charge much more, and/or don't offer a free way to get it. Just get on any weekly boards at least 5 times in a month and it pays for itself. :)  Even one board, which you could achieve by accident from selling things, means a free Rainbow Jar or something. BK is quite generous.

Anyway, to stay on the Rant topic (such a negative thread, haha)... the battlefield also confuses me sometimes. 3 rounds and my squad are ahead. Final roll, I have 3 Regens/Songs and a Leadership, which normally seems to take the other side's points and pay them back double. Uh, is that correct?

Then the enemy ends with loads more points, sometimes 10+ extra. Despite getting a measly 2 or 3 in their last round? ... Must be some kind of hidden bonus or combo through the whole battle.

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-10 14:38:13 — Link

Yeah, I don't understand battlefield at all yet. I'll probably just wait until I get some dank perfect dragons or lykos to even attempt it. The first time I tried, I waited a week before finding the roll button..

Can we get a tutorial for people on the battlefield??

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-10 16:39:20 — Link

I'll start trying to write one. Why don't you put together a list of questions and pm them to me and I'll work on a player guide called An Introduction To The Battlefield? Maybe Marans can decorate it with suitable medieval drawings of people being stabby and beasts eating each other.

Of course I'm not the best battlefield player, for that you'd need one of the more famous players (Aelisk used to set up camp on the portal and be immovable for weeks) but I'm sure they'll be happy to post their tips afterwards.

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-10 20:41:40 — Link

I got another not passerine deviant from my passerine project... and I'll try to get back with you on the battlefield tutorial arete, it might take awhile because I have 28 hours this week at work squeezed into 5 days on top of school. 

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-10 23:23:05 — Link

Well I've made a start on the guide. It's for the complete newbie and I've tried to make it as simple as I can. I'm hoping it's useful. I'm sure there'll be lots of people willing to add to it. No hurry :)

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-23 16:35:40 — Link

Little rant: trying to level up wild beasts. Especially with red stats.

Imagine being such a weak creature that your beastlady spends 5 days manually coaching you in fights, but you lose every single time, and she gives up and pays a couple of silver for you to be trained up to level 2? ... and then level 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, all the way to 50.

So embarrassing.

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-24 21:00:32 — Link

Why level up a beast with red genes? I'd throw them away and buy a new one from the pet trades...

• Lisxz
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-25 01:08:17 — Link

When you accidentally inbreed Unicorns while trying to get a perfect one.

*whsipers* shhh, no one has to know...

« Prev | 1 2 ... 38 39 40 ... 73 74 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla