Boards < BeastEon Development Forum < Questions & Suggestions < Sticky: Ask your questions here!

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 | Next »

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2016-12-12 19:10:48 — Link

Will your affiliation have consequences for your gaming options? Will you be stuck playing as Lawful Neutral, or Chaotic Neutral, or Chaotic Good, for example?

Yes, the affiliation will have consequences. At this moment we can't tell how it will work and which game layers it will affect. The political alignment and factions are still in heavy development with low priority until we finish the core of the game. The players will be able to change their political alignment. 

There won't be moral alignments like Good or Evil. There's a certain common moral which is the same for everyone. A beast can do something against it because of stress or psychic illness, but such actions will be perceived as bad by everyone. 

And will there be a lot of occult themes in this game, like your example of the qi or chi above? I can't say I'm fond of that...

The game is sci-fi focused. There won't be occult phenomena but will be paranormal ones. No things like spells, rituals, demons, witchcraft but instead psionics, parapsychology, and mad science. The visual result may be somewhat similar but the core difference is that occultism is something unexplainable while sci-fi supposes that everything is explained in a certain science-like way. For example, if there are spirits then they are not unknown occult entities but something that can be described from the sci-fi point of view, like an energy life form (like in The Whispers TV series) or an AI with a visual representation similar to a hologram. 

• Poe
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-12 22:07:54 — Link

What will be the difference in consequences between the so called affiliation and the so called political alignment (Presumably with politics done by persons with different affiliations)?

If the game is so called sci-fi focused (given your explanation of sci-fi), then there is no reason to discard that, which you call unexplainable.

By design everything can be explained, but there is usually lack of proper knowledge to do that. There is a saying, that technology, complex to the certain point, will be indistinguishable from magic. In this game you can include both, if you can explain both.

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-13 11:00:51 — Link

Hahaha Arthur C. Clarke should have really trademarked that saying.

Ok, I'm happy. As long as I wont be stuck playing as one particular grouping, like in Dune, while the other ones have all the cool ornithopters.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2016-12-13 14:01:03 — Link

What will be the difference in consequences between the so called affiliation and the so called political alignment (Presumably with politics done by persons with different affiliations)?

In my answer I supposed that we're talking about affiliation with political factions. So it's the same thing.

There is a saying, that technology, complex to the certain point, will be indistinguishable from magic. 

Exactly! :) A lot of things may look like magic to a commoner, but we suppose that everything has some kind of explanation behind it and nothing happens just because.

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-13 16:39:53 — Link

Just to be clear - it's the beastlord who decides the political alignment of everyone in their manor, and beasts don't have/speak their own preferences about it?

Sorry if this has been explained before (can't remember) but what effect might an alignment have? Will beastlord have tasks to support their favoured "party" and receive rewards for their loyalty? How will beasts react to others' alignments (is it minor or can it even start a fight)?

I'm curious about the role of humans in this world, also. It sounds like the beasts are the ones doing all the exploring, crafting, sport etc (which would make sense for gameplay, as they're stronger and more varied than humans). If there are an equal number of humans around, what are they supposedly doing meanwhile? Just management, research and other invisible NPC things?

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2016-12-14 12:20:09 — Link

Just to be clear - it's the beastlord who decides the political alignment of everyone in their manor, and beasts don't have/speak their own preferences about it?

A beastlord decides a de jure political course for the whole manor. Beasts will take the Beastlord's opinion into account, but de facto they may have their own attitude depending on their experience and encounters with the factions. 

Sorry if this has been explained before (can't remember) but what effect might an alignment have? Will beastlord have tasks to support their favoured "party" and receive rewards for their loyalty? 

We don't want to limit the political interactions to just an additional set of daily quests. Of course, there will be ways to raise your reputation with a certain faction like that, but this won't be the only role of factions. You will have to take into account the political alignment of your beasts when making decisions. The political system isn't developed yet, and I can't provide any details at this moment. 

How will beasts react to others' alignments (is it minor or can it even start a fight)?

Like with any other personal preferences, this depends on the beast. It may have no effect at all or lead to a fight.

I'm curious about the role of humans in this world, also. It sounds like the beasts are the ones doing all the exploring, crafting, sport etc (which would make sense for gameplay, as they're stronger and more varied than humans). If there are an equal number of humans around, what are they supposedly doing meanwhile? Just management, research and other invisible NPC things?

There are more humans than beasts, and they do all the things that humans usually do, from growing crops and raising kids to waging wars and ruling countries. Playing as a beastlord, you percieve a certain slice of the world focused around the beasts. From the lore point of view, nothing prevents you to have human crafters, explorers, scientists etc., but we have a game about beasts and not about humans.

• Amnaa
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-28 00:35:11 — Link

Will throdama still have morphs like they do now? If yes, will they keep their morph look while exploring?

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2016-12-28 10:55:15 — Link

Most likely Throdamas will have only mutations like all other species. The morphs aren't planned at this moment. The base for the explorable world is the same for all beasts of the same species, only coloring will be different.

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-01-03 21:45:22 — Link

How will energy levels work in explore? If the map is neverending, when do the beasts run out of energy points, or will they just have HP that they might lose when fighting monsters?

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2017-01-05 17:43:50 — Link

The party will use energy for movement and actions and will be able to restore it by setting up a camp. There won't be anything like HP but rather wounds and diseases. A party with a wounded member will move slower and will have to rest more often.

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2017-01-05 17:51:42 — Link

Will we be limited to a single party when exploring or will we be able to send multiple parties exploring at the same time?

Breeder of trash deviants

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-01-05 21:36:59 — Link

I'm curious how wound and disease statuses will work. There's a game called Dwarf Fortress which is famous for using huge amounts of procedural generation, and tracking all items/creatures with a lot of detail. Every single organ and body part (individual fingers, teeth etc) are calculated in battles and can end up in many states of damage, all requiring different treatments from other dwarves with specific medical skills and equipment. Diagnosis, surgery, suturing, wound dressing, bone setting, cleaning...

I doubt BeastEon will go that far (DF is uniquely crazy) but am always interested to hear alternative systems for evaluating and changing a creature's health. Hitpoints and stat numbers are very simplistic - glad BE won't have those.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2017-01-06 20:26:36 — Link

Will we be limited to a single party when exploring or will we be able to send multiple parties exploring at the same time?

From the start it will be only one party, but later players can upgrade their manors and send more parties to explore at the same time.

I'm curious how wound and disease statuses will work. 

We definitely know about Dwarf Fortress. It’s a unique phenomenon that any game developer must learn about :) Of course, we love how the procedural world of this game is built. We would be happy to utilize the same thorough approach, but unfortunately this is extremely difficult for a number of reasons, so we’re not aiming for anything so substantial.

The concept of wounds and diseases hasn't been developed in details yet, so things may change. We’re mostly concentrated on the social aspect and beast personality right now. Though here's some info that I can share at this very moment. 

We’re not planning to have the detailed anatomy and physiology, but we still would like to provide some diversity in health related tasks. Presumably diseases and wounds will be dynamically generated along with the required treatment for them. Depending on a situation, we're taking a certain set of probable disorder parameters. This is where the concept still needs development, but that could be things like symptoms, affected body parts, severity, contagiousness, agent etc. The respective cure will be generated based on the nature of disorder and doctor's skill.

There will be a separate profession to treat wounds and diseases. 

An ill beast will get different debuffs that will make it less useful, useless or even harmful in challenges, crafting, and social interactions.

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-01-07 18:18:29 — Link

Sounds great. I'm a big fan of DF's level of detail and random events, although it can become difficult to keep up with.

So in theory, contact (bite, sting, toxic breath) from a wild monster could generate poisoning or a disease in a beast, which worsens over time if not treated early - or may spread among other beasts in the party/city, and start an epidemic?

edit: thinking about DF again, I wonder if the "beast apartments" system mentioned on the blog would be similar to the dwarf quarters/possessions. Dwarves can demand things like "1 luxury bedroom, 1 study, 2 armour stands, 4 containers" and for certain items to be made and installed in their quarters (like a door made of their favourite metal), or they get angry/jealous. Will beasts be fussy like that?

• xiggy100
  • User

Posted at 2017-03-25 03:24:09 — Link

Is there an item that allows you to choose a gene to mutate?Instead of the random potion one.  

« Prev | 1 2 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla