Boards < General < News & Announcements < BeastKeeper Art Concerns

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 | Next »

• Rhee
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:10:22 — Link

So perhaps the pose was referenced? its a completely different style not like she flipped it resized a bunch of parts and said it was her own.

Angel do you have sketch stages of the griffin? 

Some contests would be nice though, and if I could find someone to digitally line my art >.>

or just donation drives, were we all try and donate some art?

• Lyrakish
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:12:49 — Link

If you did an art contest you would technically own the art provided if the person(s) win. Aywas has millions of recolours of their PSDs, all owned by them because when you submit to the site, they own it.

@tallman: How is that helpful? Throwing the banhammer at people is not how you talk to the Userbase. And assuming people are 'underage' is immature and ignorant.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:14:11 — Link

I am wondering why some people just can't accept that they are wrong.
But more I wonder why devs wasting their time trying to prove something to such people.
I would suggest to just ban all those jelous underage persons and spent freed time on implementing new features and fixing bugs.

I am sure most of the players should be happy with that.  :)

"Jealous underaged people" are you kidding me? Wanting new features and bug fixes at the jeapody of the site staying open is so rediculously selfish. It has been shown that yes, it's too similar.

I don't care your opinion on 'art theft' or copyright, its too similar. Too many people have noticed. A lot of people have offered to redraw the pictures for free. 

You know I can't even come up with a coherent response to this. I'm still reeling at "jealous underaged people" my God.

* Winter is coming *

• Moth
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:22:32 — Link

I don't really consider myself experienced enough with the online art world to know what is acceptable when it comes to similarity between images, but I'll put forth my two cents regardless.

The griffin here is in a different style, different shading, the lines don't match up perfectly. But, the pose is almost identical, and it would be miraculously coincidental if it wasn't referenced.

I think, just to be on the safe side, we sould replace the griffin, and there are many people here willing to help do so.

Striking out by banning users who are simply expressing concern for the site is ridiculous. Silence the userbase? That's your idea, Tallman?

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:27:43 — Link

It does surprise me that the site isn't willing to use freely-given art drawn expressively for them because of 'copyright issues', yet they're willing to continue to use pictures which do tread so close to being copies.

* Winter is coming *

• elijah
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:29:03 — Link

I have to say I'm really dissapointed with the way you're handling yourself with this site. It's obvious to anyone who looks that you have used the aywas griffon base as your reference for your own griffon. Plenty of people have suggested ideas to supply your site with art that is not a rip off of another pet site.

Creating your own original art is not that difficult. I do it all the time and create images sutible for pet websites without referencing other people's art. I was prepaired to offer my services but between your attitude at the entire theft and your unwillingness to even offer a token payment for something that is obviously a core function of your site (ie, pets), I'm going to have to say I hope you close down here. The way you treat art and artists who provide your 'references' is really not okay.

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:36:08 — Link

It really sounds like Angel has covered all her bases. I personally am satisfied with the explanation... I mean, she's provided several references for her artwork, and though the Griffins are in a similar pose, every single line on them is completely different.

The items all check out, she's purchased them to use commercially, and I don't think it's fair to ask the site to throw away all that money spent on purchasing images to use for absolutely no reasons other than some people think using them is wrong. It's just ridiculous to expect the site to just throw out all the images they've paid for and completely redraw every single purchased image on the site.

The only possible problem I can see is the dragon when the site begins selling Gold Coins for IRL money. She'd have to renegotiate her deal with the artist, but I'm confident she can take care of that.

• RedCape
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:37:07 — Link

The users here are obviously upset by this, in the wrong or not you're likely to lose people over it. Not only that but you are in fact risking a lot with keeping that image. If it does go to court ( speculation mind you ) the fees alone for defending and what not would outweigh just paying to have that one bit re-done. 

No one is trying to make you feel bad, honestly I find this game to be fun for the most part, sure it has it's downsides but at least it holds my attention. 

People here are trying to help, not hurt. If they didn't care this forum here would have no ta single post. I suggest that you ask around the art forum that you said you had gone to before, and if you're still unsure take the art ( both bits from Aywas and here ) and explan the situation on Artist Beware, a live journal group that deals with this sort of thing all the time. They'll be able to give you good advice from the artist point of view. 

• Elviril
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:38:06 — Link

you could offer site currency (gold coins) as reward for person winning the contest, if you were to run one. Maybe with items or pets with good genes or something.

• Entity
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:39:09 — Link

I agree with RedCape in several aspects. We're not trying to hurt, we're just trying to help.

• Zaire
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:44:41 — Link

@RedRarebit; It really can be understood. Even with paid art, I've seen sites get shut down because of copyright issues. Taking art freely (even if it's intended use was for the site) can cause issues, should that user revoke the rights. The only real safeguard is making sure each user understand they are permanently giving away  the rights to the art, but determined people can find a way to claim they 'didn't understand'. So it's an iffy situation :/

@Elijah; How can any of us know how Angel is handling themself with the site? It's only been open a week. I only want to be a mediator, but you seem a bit harsh to me. No, creating original art is not neccessarily difficult. But how do you determine what is 'orginial' and 'unoriginal' on the basis of a mythical creature? And again, it's the pose that's the 'issue' here. Yes, it has a very close resemblance to the griffin on Aywas. But if the pose were different, would you still claim it?

I just....do and don't understand where all of you are coming from. I realize most of you are trying to look out for Angel, but the way you write your posts makes you come off as rude. And maybe I am too, it's difficult to discern over typed words. There has to be some sort of compromise...

Just. Agh. I don't know how to say this and not come off as rude or negative. 

fekjnjfe

Yeah its pronounced feh-kuh-jun-juh-feh. :D

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:46:54 — Link

@Zaire - Which is why I emphasized the whole, 'drawn expressively for' and 'with the users full understanding'. Maybe even sign something, in agreement that they've handed the design over and have no more claim over it.

S'alright, I don't think you're coming off as rude. I tend to just figure everyone's not rude until they say something rude, haha! 

* Winter is coming *

• Entity
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:48:16 — Link

I believe RedCape has the idea here. If there really is a problem with the art, take it to where you did before or put it somewhere new where people can work over it and figure it out.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:49:53 — Link

^ Agreed. We could be seeing it as too close because we're so familiar with Aywas. 

* Winter is coming *

• Zaire
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-24 20:49:56 — Link

@RedRarebit; Right. It;s still a risk though, like any decision really. So I can support either side. 

The way I read things is in a generally rude nature I guess, because I'm reading some of these posts and flinching, even though most are probably made will no ill intent xD

fekjnjfe

Yeah its pronounced feh-kuh-jun-juh-feh. :D

« Prev | 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla