Boards < General < News & Announcements < BeastKeeper News #3

Boards

• lililira
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 04:21:02 — Link

Has the Vermillion from the guardian's chests been increased too?

Also, even though I love the changes, I would rather be booted from the island when I lose than lose an energy point, because if I was on my first trip and lost a battle, I wouldn't be able to go again for an hour. I'd rather just be booted so I can go again immeadiately.

• fallenkitsune
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 04:50:48 — Link

I dont like being penalized for losing a fight when exploring - i'd rather just have it send me home. I dont loose energy which then can be used to go to another island instead of waiting an hour for the energy lost in the fight to replenish. I'd rather have each exploration take 2 or 3 three energy which then allows you a few more trips out to collect items.

• Elviril
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 05:43:38 — Link

I actually like that it doesnt kick out from the island after losing and takes an energy point instead, especially when I find a fountain on the island

• SeaCrest
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 06:31:47 — Link

I'm having a few issues with the Hoot thing...could we have a board to discuss coding problems that we encounter?

• omenaapple
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 07:33:47 — Link

I dont think the exploration update is good for newbies, or at least people who dont have many pets yet. o.o
Imagine if you had only two or three pets. You start to explore with your most prized, leveled up creature. It already takes five energy to go. Then you apparently have low stats, so you lose three energy for fighting a swan, for example. You happen to win it, but as you want to try to win a red swampthing, you loose the two remaining energy and got shot home.
You have to wait five hours in the least so that you can explore even once with your pet. Then again the island passway might be blocked with a critter and, oops, you happen to die to it. 8T

I dont know, I just liked the exploration the way it was. Maybe to rise the energy level to three or four, but not to lose energy within battles. ;c

hello ~

• Kayana
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 08:06:23 — Link

A few thoughts:

Raising total energy to 12 would allow one loss each outing without destroying your chance to go twice before having to wait an hour or more to go again. I think either doing that, or allowing people one loss with no penalty before it kicks in is a little better option, so they can choose to keep fighting and taking penalties, or to back off and take their second trip instead.

Secondly, while imo the money, food, and vermillion gain is a lot better, so far (not sure if the resources have changed yet or not), the resource gain wouldn't be comparable. Island size is the same, number of resources encountered seems to be about the same, so all things being equal, I get 2x the resources per trip in the new system, but I would have gotten five times the resources in the old system.

Really like the fountains. That's a nice addition.

• Harpy
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 09:45:43 — Link

I too would prefer being booted out when loosing.  Either that or make the energy increase half hour or something instead of one hour. 

I could have got two trips out of the 6 mins of time left for a scroll of insight on one of my pets, now it's only one because she lost energy fighting.

• LiaEvalle
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 09:47:20 — Link

@ Kayana, but with golems you can have another source of resources (they produce twice of what was spent to build them in total)

• Mouse
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 14:48:43 — Link

I'm still not sure about the explore updates... If I take one pet out and it gets defeated 3-4 times, because I usually play at night, I'll be asleep when it reaches 5 energy again, which gives that pet a grand total of one exploration! Instead of getting 5x the resources of one island, that pet gets 2x (and if I get defeated that much, I probably haven't found many treasure chests).So, I think we should either 5 energy per explore, or staying on the island. Also, think about real life. If a pet was hurt, we'd have to get it off the island to patch it up before it could go back out. Also, about the exp gains... if I defeated a lvl 1 each explore on the ol system, I'd get 10 exp. If I defeat a lvl 1 each explore now, provided I can explore twice, I I'd get 8 exp. While this seems small, imagine it with a higher leveled monster- or what if it was the last drops of exp you needed to get your pet to level 50? And about not upping the amount of resources- on the old system, about twice I would get through the whole map without being defeated, and collect everything on it. The other times, I'd get maybe a few resources. Now, I would just get the full two, maybe not even. Also, if you're a newbie with 4-6 pets- that may at worst be 4-6 explorations. That's not enough, even if you find a vermillion each time to half-fully research a pet. I'll give it a fair trial, and decide a full opinion later. I'm also worried about the Quest energy- If I send a pet on a quest before school, when I come home after, it won't have enough energy to explore, making it possible that I won't explore with it that day at all, if I have other things to do.

TL:DR: I'm on the fence about this because of the effect on new players, the amount of energy used for quests and the effect on people with limited time each day.

I call Vermillion "Vermi"

I occasionally use an IPad- please excuse spellcheck.

• Teilchen
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 16:36:37 — Link

I'd suggest to newer users what I did when I started out with the old system, because it worked fine for me.

I had only a handful of pets and more time to explore than those could satisfy (even with the old system, yes). So I made sure to grab my daily free pet from the pound (and toss it back in after) (most of the time there wasn't one, but now there are plenty) and then go through the pet sales and buy the cheapest pets. Most of the time people don't bother depleating the energy of the pet they are putting in the trade (like 95% of the time), so you get full energy pets for a cheap price. After you depleated their energy, just stick them in the trade again, maybe even a slightly higher price as before.

There are enough cheap pets out there for quite some people to do this right now. A suggestion could be to show the energy the pet currently has when it's in the trades, that would make it a bit easier to find ready pets.

All in all, I really like the changes, but I can see that it might be harder for newer players now and would support an energy raise to 12 maybe or to let it be only 4 energy each explore for the mentioned "1 loss and still getting a 2nd trip" thing.

"In a highly exceptional reality the non-exceptional can, for convenience sake, be written off as paradoxically exceptional."
Murakami Haruki

(Avatar and Signature art made by Kai)

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-26 17:01:43 — Link

Newbies get 5 additional untradeable energy potions from the tutorial to have some boost at the start with this update.

• Rhee
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 17:15:10 — Link

I'm upset at the new engery requirement, and the engery penlty though I don't tend to fight super high leveled monsters if I can help it.

I guess I'll be on the site even less :L

• Kayana
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 17:57:16 — Link

@ Kayana, but with golems you can have another source of resources (they produce twice of what was spent to build them in total)

I don't really think having to spend the cash and resources to create a secondary source for resources is an equitable exchange for being able to just explore for those who choose to do that.

If all you want to do is explore, you should get roughly what you would have gotten previously from explore. Those with more disposable cash and lots of resources can continue to benefit from golems as well. IMO, penalizing players who choose explore as their primary gathering while they save up for golem schematics and mats to make them seems unwise.

I see golems as being a big benefit to people with large amounts of pets much moreso than a benefit to new people starting out.

Still think 12 energy total or one free loss before energy loss is the way to go, and still would like to see resources augmented somewhat to cover the loss of five trips vs two.

• Mouse
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 18:19:54 — Link

I support an increase to 12 energy, but the resources have been changed so that you get a bit more.

I call Vermillion "Vermi"

I occasionally use an IPad- please excuse spellcheck.

• SpaceShipRat
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 20:09:34 — Link

DAMMIT. Please, can we have some sort of announcement when there's a news post? I just burned an entire pet's energy bar by keeping my finger down on the direction button :(

As for the rest, everything sounds good! I look forward to trying the new energy system out, and checking out this story tool. 

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla