Boards < General < Creative < Skins by Marans - and now Apparel!

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 3 ... 8 9 | Next »

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-10 17:18:08 — Link

Gave you some faves on deviantart. Will have to breed or buy a special gryphon just to give it this skin!

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-14 20:12:21 — Link

Update on unicorn. Shading done, starting to think about coat and decoration colours now. Ribbon, armour and rose outfits... it's quite complicated!

• BeastTamer7776
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-15 00:56:32 — Link

It looks fantastic! when do you think it will be done? 

Your art Is amazing! Do you keep one of each skin for yourself?

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-15 12:06:44 — Link

You know, I can't wait for you to write your own equestrian game x)

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-15 15:37:37 — Link

BeastTamer - thank you, hopefully will finish the colourings within a week or so. No, I don't collect most of my own skins, it feels boring after seeing the art so much already. I prefer to use skins by others.

arete - hehe yes, I'm still quietly working on my game. Originally planned to be isometric tile-based and in pixel art style, but then I wanted 16 directions of movement, as 8 would not be enough for a horse riding game. Steering your horse around courses and over jumps at the right angle should be a challenge.

Drawing 16 sets of 2D pixel sprites would be crazy, so I'll stick with small cute 3D models. Also the environments can be 3D sculpted, or 2D painted - no need to cram everything into annoying repetitive tilesets any more. The only discipline that might still use a tile grid is dressage.

I have an ancient computer and no money so I can't download or buy most game engines. Trying to test in a browser right now, using Three.js. Can load models, resize, retexture and position them around the scene, but haven't figured out how to move the horse (needs multiple speeds and to display gait animations appropriately). Which is kinda... the main point of a horse game. x) So I'm stuck unless I can find some friendly internet coding stranger to fix this.

In the meantime, can plan more game mechanics, write story/challenge scenarios, design courses, and make more models for horses and objects. Using 3D models instead of pre-drawn sprites, it'll be possible to have differently shaped breeds and animations. For example the Arabian has a "floaty" kind of movement, unlike other breeds. I'd like to get a decent level of variety and realistic detail in here.

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-15 18:54:16 — Link

That looks wonderful Marans! And good luck on your horse game project ^^

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-15 21:50:06 — Link

Oooh, I would play that game in a heartbeat. Just think of all the dressage shows and showjumping contests... aaaah <3 <3 <3

Are there no coding freelance sites like maybe upwork where you can hire help?Although you would maybe need a partnership agreement *hmmm*

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-16 19:11:38 — Link

Thank you both!

I'm not in a rush to get this done. More of a personal hobby-challenge than a game project. I'd like to put 90% of my focus on making pretty graphics, story, realistic (educational) equestrian details and fun area design - intense programming is not my thing at all. x)

Eventually will set up a dev blog, to show off all the concept art/models and planned mechanics, and hopefully attract crowd-funding to hire a proper programmer to assemble everything in an engine.

I mean if someone can get thousands of dollars to make a potato salad... :D there's nothing to lose from trying it with my little project as well, haha.

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-17 23:42:24 — Link

I should hope it ended up being a pretty good potato salad...

Let's toast to an amazing game!

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-18 20:38:09 — Link

Submitted a herd of plain unis, without any decorations yet. You can browse the big versions here. :) http://sta.sh/2120jwp9eh0z

Will keep adding the rest to that gallery later

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-18 22:49:08 — Link

Plain?? They're beautiful!!! I'm so happy!

*dances and sings happy songs around the forum*

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-05-20 05:23:35 — Link

They look beautiful c:

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-06-09 01:30:07 — Link

I'm staying up all night for the UK election results, and just got carried away with some fun base-colouring. x)

Started with 5 plain colours, based on some of my real pet hens.

Then did some random palette-changing, colour overlaying... and things got funky.

• RaptorKitty
  • User

Posted at 2017-06-09 06:13:07 — Link

Marans,  I hate you and your talent </3 

They're too beuatiful

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-06-09 23:15:59 — Link

I need like ten gryphons, now. I've just bought another white one that's gp 3. But I need her white coat for quests. Grump. Need stable space!!!

Also I have this beautiful set of perfect cremellos. I almost want the plain cremello base from the game, but decked out in roses around its neck and over its back, buds woven in its beautiful hair. Why can't I draw...?

« Prev | 1 2 3 ... 8 9 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla