Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Approved Suggestions < Release Pets into the Wild and Reserve Structure

Boards

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-11 21:40:07 — Link

I still stand by and support the idea.

It's a good thing to reduce future stress on storage space for teh servers.

And it is also a nice way to remove pets from our stables that take up space but are no longer used but are still wanted... Like when a custom skin runs out of breedings... Once their level is capped they aren't really any use besides to look at and take up space... I don't want to put them in the pound because I likely worked hard to make the skin and don't want to use it and still look want to look at it and show it off.

And if the pet werent custom but ran out of breedings what do we do with it? o.0

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Mouse
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-11 23:33:52 — Link

I fully support retiring and releasing. While this site is small right now, with no way to permanently get rid of pets, overpopulation will be a big problem. It'll lower the value of pets and make breeding not worth it. I do think that the pet should have to be tamed and an adult before either.

I call Vermillion "Vermi"

I occasionally use an IPad- please excuse spellcheck.

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-11 23:46:33 — Link

Being an adult makes sense too, I agree to that.

I sort of imagine that, since we can't trade babies, they are dependent on someone or something for care. If this were looked at from a realistic standpoint; releasing a dependent baby would be a death sentence for it.

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 00:41:48 — Link

I support releasing fully tamed adults.

#33507 on Aywas

• irrimn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 01:30:07 — Link

I support the idea of being able to release fully tamed adults back into the "wild". I realize the pound is there for a reason but as some people already stated, eventually people will have level 50 pets that have no breedings left and stables completely full of pets and they will either want to retired those pets into a sort of "hall of fame" or simply delete them. Putting them into the pound is neither of those things because then someone else will still be able to use that pet which is not something that should be allowed since they are max level AND have no breedings left.

Also as for the issue of very bad wild-caught pets (like pets with all red stats and no good genes even) these should be allowed to simply be released back into the wild. Putting them into the pound would just make them a burden on wheoever caught them -- unless you're suggesting that pets adopted from the pound get freely re-rolled stats/genes which could OBVIOUSLY be abused so that should never happen.

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 14:28:38 — Link

I just noticed that they blocked the stats on taming pets.

I am thoroughly discouraged. I hope there's a news post explaining this cause I find it a terrible idea to hide it as they're technically liabilities already. Now it feels like they're more of a liability as I cannot make a plan on what to do with them or how to sort their stats so my feedings won't consume more than it should.

The don't catch wild pets isn't a really neat suggestion. As a breeder, I would like lines of my own. I don't care for fresh blood, I have a breeding plan. What I care about are suitable genes that can be passed on without having to look at other people's studs and be frustrated that they haven't fully researched their pets. It's not their fault that they put up a stud without fully researched genes nor is it a problem. It is impossible for people and unreasonable of you guys to stop them from studing out not fully researched pets.

As a solution, I would bring it to myself to hope that the pets I catch will fit the criteria for my projects. It is also easier for me to catch a pet and invest to search the genes myself. If the genes provided are not what I wanted, there are other things I can place the pet in use unless they have stats that are unreasonable (I've had red marks on Strength, Agility, Courage AND Intelligence, what would I do with a pet like that?) Right now, the stud selection is simply not wide enough and catching is an essential part of the game.

It is not a problem, housing pets for taming or housing pets at all. The problem is that, though we trust that you have planned this site in advance, is if the amount of data being taken up by these pets, wanted or not, will not flood and slow down the game. You might think that one pet is small data cause it's just a couple of kilobytes, but as the site grows, so will these kilobytes accumulate and if push comes to shove, will your servers be able to comply with such demands? I have high hopes and belief it will, but isn't it more efficient that you purge useless data instead of storing it forever?

It doesn't matter that you're deleting items by the hundreds every day. The fact still stands that there is unnecessary data floating around and it might, and eventually will, cause issues.

• Viriagan
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 18:32:12 — Link

@Red, Angel posted on the first page of this thread;

"If you would like to see an additional logic behind the pet taming time except the balance concerns, we will add it. From this moment the stats of the wild pets won't be visible. It's very hard to ask a wild pet to run through an agility or cross country course in order to see what agility and constitution it has. First the pet needs to be tamed and properly trained."

Either way I'm indifferent towards the change myself, so can't really discuss this subject.

From the small crumbs of earth
from the fleece of summer eve
from the memory of a single seed

• Voron_eril
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-12 18:44:30 — Link

Red, we have 15k database island entries and 1.5k battle entries every day. We need to store all this data to have an ability to reproduce the environment for bug fixing. Additional pet entries is nothing on this background. Also we can't just add the ability to delete a pet because it will ruin the integrity: for example, how can we calculate degeneration if we don't have any data about the relationships of the deleted pet and it was the father of our pregnant female?

We can return back the visibility of wild pet stats if you will agree that you can't do anything with the pet before taming is finished  even if you don't like this pet. All suggestions which offer to make catching and taming faster will be rejected for the sake of balance.

The Reserve building where you can put pets and take them from there at any time through re-taming is actually another Stables expansion, so there's no sense in separate building. We will add the Reserve building but you won't be able to take pets back from there and you will need to construct this building first.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-12 18:51:17 — Link

One small addition if you're concerned about pets with your private custom skins that can get to another user through Pound. There's a planned feature which will allow to remove custom skins fro pets.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 21:51:37 — Link

If its the integrity you're worried about, then the Reserve feature seems to be a better bet. The data is still stored, but the pet itself not accessible to the player and no longer takes up room in the stables. 

I agree with some posters - otherwise, this makes older pets completely and utterly useless, and just a drain on players resources. Once the amount of breedings is used up, unless the pet has partiuclar emotional value to the player, its completely worthless, and will continue to be worthless to anyone they try and fob it off to. 

Which means some poor pet just sitting in the pound, taking up space and being a pain in the ass. So the Reserve option still keeps data intact, while removing the pet from the game.

As for releasing newly tamed pets, I would like the option to do so before the pet has been tamed. I hate the fact that I have to feed the damned thing for three days before getting rid of it.

* Winter is coming *

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 21:54:04 — Link

The offspring counter is updated as soon as the male is bred, am I correct? That doesn't explain why pets with no offspring cannot be deleted.They have no data that need be stored, as long as the parents' offspring count isn't dependent on their living relatives. Frankly. since we aren't given links to them through the parents, it doesn't have to be.

For degeneration purposes, I would think it would only need to track the pets ID. The genes have already been inherited by the baby so the parent is no longer playing a role. If that ID appears again too soon, inbreeding has taken place.

It's clearly something people want and I don't think parts of it would be as impossible to implement as you make them out to be.

This also never suggested we be able to catch and tame more wild pets more quickly, just delete/release the ones that are terrible at a penalty of being able to catch fewer and fewer for every pet released. I fail to understand how decreasing the odds of being able to replace the pet you released is imbalanced.
With a big enough stable we can just catch wilds without limit anyway, to the point where releasing them and getting the penalty to catch fewer would be more of a hindrance than the current system.

Still, I do concede if you want to keep this feature and we cannot release wilds. I'm okay with that.

However I will continue to stand by releasing pets and hope the support of the community can eventually sway your opinions.

Edited:

Missed a couple posts, sorry about that.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 22:00:45 — Link

A suggestion to the idea of releasing newly captured pets;

Instead of instantly starting to tame the pet, the pet is set aside and when you next log-in, you go to 'visit' the pet. You can examine the pet, that sort of thing (NOT research genes, just glance at it) and then choose to commit to taming it. If you choose not to, the pet gets released instantly. If you choose to tame it, THEN it starts the three day count-down.

Why not just let us "freeze" the ability to do anything with them in exchange for not having to care for them?

This seems like the perfect compromise, as long as it also means they no longer take up room in the stables. Maybe word it as 'taking a snapshot' of the pet so all the data is stored but nothing can be done with it.

* Winter is coming *

• koben
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 22:22:41 — Link

so does this mean that the resever is confirmed ?

agrees with Redrarebits; View first for wild pets ... someone who captures wild mustangs to sell them in reality at least get a general view of the animals inquestion befor they take the time and resorces to try and tame them.

if the system really fights this why not just instaly send the rejected wild pets to the pound and "LATER ON" if a creature has Bold wild parents they get taken to an NPC account for storage.

• Swiftla
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-13 01:16:20 — Link

I don't support the faster taming. Since babies need care, it makes sense that they must stay in the stables until they grow. If this argument is real-life based, a catcher would not be able to just "hold" a pet until someone decides whether they want it or not.

Since it has been stated that extra pets have no real burden on the server as of now, I don't understand why people want to delete them so badly. If you don't want the pets with terrible genes, sell it or pound it. Obviously there are no such pets right now as I rarely see any pets in the pound, so its apparent that somebody wants them.

If, at some point, overpopulation does become a problem, I think it would make more sense to just "delete" or remove pets from the public system. This could be done by removing pets that have been in the pound for a long period of time.

The sanctuary could be a great addition in the future when there are very many pets around.

• Teal
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-13 05:09:07 — Link

The Wajas site went down and tons of data was permanently lost because they're servers were too full.

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla