Boards < General < News & Announcements < BeastKeeper News #13: Jungle and Savannah biotopes

Boards

• yummyquik
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 03:06:37 — Link

I'm not too happy with the item limit.   
I collect (hoard) cuttlefish ink, and some of my building materials are into the thousands as a stash for selling later. 

Can you tell us the reasoning behind this?  

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-06-05 04:12:57 — Link

yummyquik, Nightingale answered about reasoning pretty clear I think. Unlimited hoarding of items destroys the game economy and balance and makes the competition impossible for the new players. Also it's a compulsory measure to make new events and item related features possible.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-06-05 04:36:01 — Link

I thought about it a little more, and added to my original post: 

Imagine a user who had been here for awhile, and built most of the buildings... They enjoy exploring to hone their pets and find specific items, but often acquire an excess of items that are not so commonly used (like cuttlefish ink, coral, cotton and so on). New uers are in dire need of these items. Their great need of these items is what prompts them to make connections with other users, explore, use the auctions and so on. If older users (or ones with lots or resources!) decide that they want to influx a large amount of an item into the system... 

A cap allows users to actually play the game. This decision, thought may not outwardly benefit anyone, is essential for game balance. It may not be a happy ot an easy decision, or a fun one for users, but it is necessary for the long term integrity of game play. From a devils advocate standpoint this is logical. 

I hope that was able to help a bit more...

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 05:01:00 — Link

I like the new buildings but the new item limit could have had a bit more thought put into its implementation, It does make sense to cap most of the resourses because once you've built everything there isn't much use for them, however that's not the case for food, vermillion, and (to a lesser extent) cotton and laminaria since they are constantly being used.

Also there are some things that I think could have been better handled when that cap was reached.

• Golems should be frozen/placed in stasis and unable to be crafted while the relevent item is above the limit.
  • Once an item has reached it's limit it should no longer be given as a quest reward. (It's no fun seeing that you would have recieved something but didn't get it because of that limit.)
  • Items that have reached the limit should not appear while exploring islands. (Again, it's no fun seeing something you can't get.)

Breeder of trash deviants

• Imitatia

Posted at 2014-06-05 05:05:33 — Link

eek now I can't hoard my vermi lol. Thanks for the new biotopes though!

Hey everyone!

• Gryphonfire
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 06:00:29 — Link

New Biotypes :O Yay! Can't wait to see what they are like.

I for one, completely understand the item limit, 999 seems plenty high for me.The only reason you would have that much is for hoarding purposes. Which really doesn't gain you anything. I've seen no building need that much of any item. 999 is still a good cushion for vermillion as that is a very used item.

So yes, it makes sense to me, all except food. I often are only able to get on long enough do quests (to get money) and do maybe 5 maps and do a few long days where i get in as many portals as possible once a week. Which doesn't provide enough for all that many pets. I have plans on having a ton of pets and i am a little worried about how much effort a day i would have to put in to be able to feed them without a good cushion.

My suggestion is raise the food limit higher but leave everything else the same.

EDIT: I also had a question: "For a payment of 10 random gems and 1000 the spirits will swap one base characteristic of your pet to another." So basically a mutagen? reading that right?

• Merion
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 06:25:24 — Link

I don't see the point in exploring anymore when I can't collect half the things I come across. It's great to have new biomes but not a lot of fun to keep going over clay and stone and chests and getting 'not enough space in inventory' messages. I can't collect shells any more (which I did because I liked the art and it was an extra incentive to me to explore, plus I bought them from other players) and I will be at the limit for vermillion soon. I am going to have zero interest in exploring if I have to leave something that valuable behind on the island.

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 07:14:55 — Link

yay, good job TheGalloppingStallions, she's my friend on DA, so i'm happy to see she can help out on here :3

but umm...i wish there wasn't a limit for vermillion gathering...any chance we can exclude the inventory limit for just vermillion? cause alot of people seem to need it more than most other items....

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• Ngata
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 07:36:53 — Link

Does the colour mutation effect custom skins?

• Kobra-Infinite
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 07:44:20 — Link

Personally, in my opinion, that should be changed to '1000' max limit due to some people on here who might just get upset at the number '999' cause they might relate it to the number '666'.

Just my opinion so no one might feel iffy or offended by the number.

-Kobra

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 08:28:49 — Link

Angel my swapping characteristics for the copper idol isn't working it seems...

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-06-05 13:46:49 — Link

Gryphonfire, Copper Idols have unique effect. It's not like mutagen. They swap one base characteristic for another. For example, Strength for Agility.

Lytala, resources can't disapper from islands just because someone who visit them doesn't have enough space. The same concerns the quests. The measures that you suggest are a very powerful way to manipulate the probabilities and highly increase the amounts of rare resources and premium items. This will make a giant hole in another balance aspect.

As for the golems, they return their price only in five days and only then begin to bring profit. A player may plan to spend this particular resource in these five days and then to compensate the expenses with the surplus from golem.

Ngata, no, color mutation affects only genetics.

NightbaneWolf, please tell pet ID.

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 14:53:27 — Link

Angel, I realize that. Rereading my post this morning I can see how I said it badly. What I actually meant was that instead of getting a quest message about something I can't have or seeing resources I can't pick up I would rather get fewer quest item rewards and find fewer resouces on islands. In other words the overall probabilities don't change, but for the purposes of quests and exploration any items over the limit are effectively invisible to the player.

Then how about adding a confirmation message if a player is about to craft a golem for a resource over the limit so they can decide if it's worth bothering to craft.

• WitchWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 15:09:36 — Link

I'm pretty much on board with most people on here. NEw biomes look cool and might get me to play the game more again.

But the resource limit...? I get the reasoning behind it and it is sound. However, I really do think that food limit should be upped, to at least 2000 if not 3000. Also, Vermillion, to a lesser extent. It's something that we burn through pretty quickly and while one could argue that that means we're not likely to hit that limit than, it's not really so. For example, I'll play at a very slow pace for a while, neither breeding nor catching pets so won't use that much Vermillion. The idea behind it being I'll stock up on as much as I can and then burn through the whole heap once I need it. And when that time comes, I want and need my heap to be a big one.

Also, since Vermillion is pretty much the most sought after item, there is hardly a danger of disbalancing the market with it: we may hoard other materials and dump the excess in the trades for low prices, but I've yet to see anyone dumping huge amounts of Vermillion out there or selling it cheaply.

Speaking of materials, I still have leftover event materials lying around the Warehouse, taking up space (leather skins, coloured powders and so on). I tought those were all supposed to be purged once the event has ended?

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-06-05 15:47:26 — Link

I believe if event materials are tied up in an auction or item exchange at purging time then they don't disapear.

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla