Boards < General < Creative < Nordic Runes- Gryphons

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-23 02:36:12 — Link

These are my first colorations and are accepted. They are public for everyone to enjoy.

color_712.png

Designed from the Nordic Rune "Othila" (Othala) meaning peace of mind, separation, ancestral land, hearth, home and family unity according to some sources. Its astrological symbol is Aries.

color_713.png

From the Nordic rune "Elhaz", symbolizing "Elk". It is the Valkyrie rune. It also symbolizes animal spirit and charms. The Antler means protection from those who wish to do you harm.Its astrological symbol is Capricorn.

If anyone wants just the Elk part I can remove the rune.

These are the first of two in my Nordic Rune series of gryphon skins!!

I'm having some weird phase with Nordic mythology and thought it would be fun to start with the Nordic symbols and perhaps move onto other mythological things.

Let me know what you think, and if you have suggestions for changes, or Nordic Runes I should make!

Thank you!

EDIT: These ones are new and need critique before I submit them!

Possibly Wunjo? (Joy, Happiness, Balance)

Wunjocopy_zps3fd9aa5e.png

Sowulo- Sun

photo Sowulocopy_zpsb977a214.png

Comments, critique, suggestions please!!!

Thanks

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Zenith
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-23 03:46:35 — Link

Oh wow! I love this idea!

I would love to see what you would do with Thurisaz, the rune typically characterized as strife, battle or attack. Or maybe even Sowilo, the sun rune. Isa/Is would be an interesting rune. What would you do with Gebo or Raidho? GAHH! So many interesting choices and contexts for them to be taken in, the design choices are nuts!

Really, a very cool idea.

Would you be up for doing cockatrice skins? Your innovation is very striking to me. ^__^;;

I collect and breed cockatrice - See my wanted ad if you're willing to breed or sell your cockatrice!

Do you breed or dabble with cockatrice? NEW! Join my cockatrice breeding group, The Golden Standard! A group dedicated to helping cockatrice breeders and hobbyists meet their goals!

Looking for Pets? Check out my profile! I always have a variety of different species for sale.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-23 04:34:24 — Link

Thank you!

Sure! I can try my hand at a cockatrice skin :D Until I get more comfortable with my tablet I'll just be coloring of course.

I'm sure you noticed most of my gryphons have Nordic names. I'm running out! (Saving some names for GP's). Ohh the Warrior Rune... Hmm... I'm thinking black, white and red? Blood splatters too macabre? :P

Raidho- I also have a gryphon named that. I want to make him a cool skin. :)

OMG Gebo.. I am so angry. I named a Gryphon Gebo- friend... but he has such an awesome skin I don't want to change it.

Which one would you like me to do?? I can try to make one! Let me know what colors/theme if you want if any and I can do it! It's the least I can do after all you have done for me!

• Zenith
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-23 05:24:16 — Link

Thurisaz is also known as "Thorn". Maybe adding spurs to the feet would help illustrate that? Many bird species possess spurs, some even possess multiple sets of spurs that can be very nasty.

I'll be sure to send you a PM about the skin. I don't think I'd use the futhark/orc runes though, I imagine that's something you'd want to keep exclusive to your own line of skins. The base cockatrice skin would be kind of awkward for that design concept, since they don't have a lot of area that isn't detailed to be able to put the rune on as legibly as it appears on the gryphs or anything else that can be adorned with a butt-stamp.

I collect and breed cockatrice - See my wanted ad if you're willing to breed or sell your cockatrice!

Do you breed or dabble with cockatrice? NEW! Join my cockatrice breeding group, The Golden Standard! A group dedicated to helping cockatrice breeders and hobbyists meet their goals!

Looking for Pets? Check out my profile! I always have a variety of different species for sale.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-23 05:39:54 — Link

They've been approved!

This is a -super- work in progress:

tyrcopy_zpsae952f34.png

I wanted to do a green and gold... Then I got distracted with dots...

I'm still toying around with how to do blood... It's not done

I can add spurs!

Yeah I was having a hard time putting on a rune... Perhaps on the neck?

I mostly did that for fun. To get the hang of doing a cockatrice... I haven't colored one yet.

Any ideas on colors?

EDIT: Ehh I don't like the red... maybe on the tail tip? I'm going to look up how to do blood. I should have put something on the crest.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-23 22:42:13 — Link

Possibly Wunjo? (Joy, Happiness, Balance)

Wunjocopy_zps3fd9aa5e.png

Sowulo- Sun

photo Sowulocopy_zpsb977a214.png

Comments, critique, suggestions please!!!

Thanks

• L130053
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-24 18:03:03 — Link

Lovely stuff. I think the Elk skin needs a little smoothing on the antler outlines, but other than that, beautiful.

Sowulo-Sun rune is a little vague.

Whilst Wunjo seems too stark for the rest of the image.

I think rune on the neck/plate would work (:

Good job, keep at it.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-25 05:30:20 — Link

The first two have been submitted so I can't change them.... but the other two I can! I regret that antler... I keep looking at it going "Nooooo!!! Why didn't I see that before!?"

Thank you! And I agree with you now that I see it. I shall change that up :)

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-30 20:40:28 — Link

I absolutely love those skins! Especially Wunjo and Sowulo are beautiful -  the only thing is that the Wunjo skin doesn't really look like joy or happiness to me.. I'm sorry, I don't know anything about runes, so I wouldn't even know what it would fit better, but it is definitely a very lovely skin and if I had a rainbow jar and a gryphon for it, I would absolutely use that one!

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-31 04:02:23 — Link

Haha  I had no clue how to make joy or happiness. I asked my boyfriend what colors he thought were joyful and he said purples and blues with white. I tried to make them stuck out on the black background.

Now I'm thinking I should have done springy coolors :P But I had planned that for another rune.

Sowulo I love and I need to fix it up! Unfortunantly I packed my tablet away while I am movine (I'll be officially back on Sunday!)

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-06-15 05:26:32 — Link

Sowilo has been uploaded :D color_745.png

• myrtlecedar305
  • User

Posted at 2013-10-31 01:24:17 — Link

I am starstruck!!! (excuse the pun) I love them!!!!

Myrtlecedar305 <3

If a kid was beating a dog with a bat, 49% would stop and stare, and 50% would walk away. I am the 1% who would grab the bat and beat the kid.

92% of the girls would cry if Justin Bieber fell off a cliff and died. 7% of the girls would scream and jump off the cliff after him. 1% of the girls would have been the ones who pushed him off the cliff. Put this on your signature if you were the 1% that pushed him off.

• Campestra
  • User

Posted at 2013-11-10 12:25:28 — Link

I really love them specially the first one Othila is my favorite but i I love them all

Of your newest one I am a fan of yours Sowulo- Sun

DeathPestilence

I got Death and Pestilence Verl help me with the white guy here  

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-11-15 03:57:53 — Link

Thank you! :) I really want to make some more. Ideas anyone?

• Seelenblut
  • User

Posted at 2013-11-15 17:52:03 — Link

really like these gryphons, especially the sun-gryphon has a nice coloring :3

have an idea, but it is a little bit different from your rune idea. What's about zodiac Pets? Showing the zodiac-symbol and have a nice color or maybe some changes on the lines (like the Elk) :3

- Valar morghulis -

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla