Boards < General < General Chat < How do you price pets?

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-01 20:28:31 — Link

So I've been doing more pet trades recently and I find that lots of people price in different ways. I was wondering how you all price your pets? Do you go by genes? (how much as a baseline if all black? How much less for red, and how much more for green?) and so forth.

I'd be interested to know for my own benefit and so that others can see the ways people are pricing out things ^^

Perhaps I could make a guide after I get lots of information and can synthesize it? Just a basic one for beginners to start with price ranges.

Thanks

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-01 20:46:11 — Link

Oh, I would love to hear about this too! I rarely sell pets because I just don't know what to ask for them.

My thoughts on the matter: I do not price a pet under 1000, since that is what you get at the pound for them. If a pet is fully researched, theoretically it should be at least 2000 to make up for the cost, then add what you paid to catch it (if its a wild pet)... I don't think anyone would pay that for a "normal" pet without too special genes though, so I don't know... And here you have the reason why I end up pricing random numbers ;)

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-01 21:04:25 — Link

I buy gryphons mainly. I pay about 5000 for a base price (usually I autobuy because I'm lazy and am terrible at auctions). I go more or less depending on skin, and the amount of red or green genes. But I really would love to sell some of the ones I breed.

• Zenith
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-01 21:27:11 — Link

It's really hard for me to effectively set hard and fast rules on what I sell. Usually I prefer to sell privately and negotiate, which has its pros and cons. I find it's a lot more interactive and involving rather than sorting through listings and can, in some cases, be more profitable.

But overall, I price my pets based on a few variables: research, color, lineage, stats/genes and, obviously, profit margin. If an individual is fully researched, I'm usually willing to pay/sell at least 3k (2k research fee + 1k pound bonus) unless the individual really has some crummy genes. If I sell pets from my own breedings or breeding stock I typically will sell them for more because:

1. They're almost always fully researched or partially researched with researched parents, making genes a breeze to ID
  2. I get attatched to them.
  3. They usually have decent to good genes or are level 20+ 
  4. By sometimes making people hesitate to buy my pets, I save myself considerable trouble later on when I find other breeders have bred the crap out of my sold pets and I run into huge inbreeding problems in my own stock.

The color of a pet is always vital to note to me, even in species I don't deal with. I've had it where people will pay very nicely, sometimes far more than my typical sales, just on the basis of color. I don't research species I don't deal in, so with my wild-caught tames' color and visible genetic flaws are huge selling points. Typically, desirable and popular colors will go for at least 2k more in an average individual than if they were another color.

The lineage of a pet is hugely important to consider, especially when you're working with select genepools. I sell and will pay more for pets that are not closely related to mine. If it's wild, I'll usually sell it for a little more, especially if I know the person asking after it breeds whatever species the pet in question is. People are usually willing to pay more for new blood, though I haven't really studied this enough to give any exact numbers.

Genes, obviously, are also important in how I price things. Some genes are more desirable than others, even if they're not a negative gene. Getting to know the feel for what people are generally breeding for and breeders' preferences is important. If someone approaches me about an animal, you can bet I'm going to look at your stable and see what you're breeding for before I toss you a number. Because so many breeders breed a set, certain way for certain traits, certain combinations of genes are common in the sales that I've seen - and so I sell unusual combinations for a bit more. I sell potential gene combo breeders for a lot more too, like if a pet had an agile paws and a quick mind recessive. Usually I'll sell for ehh, maybe 1-2k more for pets like that. Else, if an individual really doesn't have anything going on, but has at least 4 recessives that people like to breed for, I usually price them for about 4k or more.

Because I constantly trade and wheel and deal, I end up with a LOT of pets that I purchase. If I previously bought an animal and I find that it's not what I'm looking for, I at least try to make back 80% of what I paid for it. I don't usually try to recoup my research cost, because I found people don't consider or care for what people paid in order to present a researched pet for sale.

I guess the most concrete thing I can present in terms of how I price and buy things would probably be my wanted ad in my sig.

I collect and breed cockatrice - See my wanted ad if you're willing to breed or sell your cockatrice!

Do you breed or dabble with cockatrice? NEW! Join my cockatrice breeding group, The Golden Standard! A group dedicated to helping cockatrice breeders and hobbyists meet their goals!

Looking for Pets? Check out my profile! I always have a variety of different species for sale.

• Synesthesia
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-02 00:59:10 — Link

I breed very specifically, so unless anyone asks me for a breeding/reverse breeding where we each get an offspring, I don't tend to sell pets and just pound or portal the ones I consider to be undesirable.

If I sell them, it's usually a 2000 baseline for fully researched genes, and usually adding more based on color. As of this point I'd never sell a pet less for less than 1000 silver.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-02 01:34:22 — Link

I regard pets that are researched to be worth more.. Someone put vermillion and silver into that! I think that is an important factor to consider.

• Zenith
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-02 01:59:58 — Link

I've tried a few different methods of sale. I've used a system that added +/- 500s for each red or green stat, with a tiered basline for researched and unresearched individuals. I've done a few private auctions via PM if more than one person is interested in an individual. No matter what system I've seen people use so far, there's been pros and cons. With the flatrate stats-based system it's very often you end up underselling a pet because it has good genes that don't effect its stats. I've veered away from doing private auctions simply because the phonetag with keeping everyone updated via PM is very time-consuming.

As far as researched pets go, I'm mixed about researched pets and their return value, tbh. It poses a great risk to the seller because if the pet ends up with crummy genes, even recessively, it can ruin the value of a pet and totally kill your return.

Look at this guy I bought recently: http://beastkeeper.com/pet/60436

I was totally overjoyed to see him on the tradehall the other day and picked him up without an inkling of hesitation. He was unresearched when I got him. And now that I've effectively put 4k into researching him, I highly doubt I will be able to even get my money back on him, let alone the research cost.

Because in all honesty, with the way the economy is at this point in time, unless the pet is GP you're going to be selling at a loss, period. Because who in their right mind is going to pay 5k (2k lab fee + 2k vermillion cost + 1k pound bonus) for a researched pet with mediocre genes? And your cost as a seller only increases the longer they remain for sale and unsold. It's a mess.

I think I'm going to go for the vermillion standard over the silver standard, and begin asking purely for vermillion payments for my pets. Because, truly, that's all my silver's going to anyway - I may as well cut out the middle man.

I collect and breed cockatrice - See my wanted ad if you're willing to breed or sell your cockatrice!

Do you breed or dabble with cockatrice? NEW! Join my cockatrice breeding group, The Golden Standard! A group dedicated to helping cockatrice breeders and hobbyists meet their goals!

Looking for Pets? Check out my profile! I always have a variety of different species for sale.

• somehow
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-02 05:54:30 — Link

Not so many people buy from me...but this is what I do when I basically calculate the prices of caught pets:

1. Genes - if all research and has normal genes ~ add 2,000 silver
  2. Stats - All black ~ start at add 1, 000 silver
  3. Level -  Over level 15 but under level 20~ add 5,000 silver 
  4. Color rarity ~ rare color ~ add 500-100 silver

I really don't sell or buy breed pets, but I would definitely pay more if I knew all genes and a great deal more if it has correct gene combination. People also tend to buy at higher prices in auctions...I guess because the bidding war gets to them or something.

• bluestar20337
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-02 20:48:07 — Link

I only sell pets that have at least 1 green stat. I set all of them at a base price of 1100 and a buyout fo 5000. Everything else goes to the pound. Also, Each pet has 6 days to sell. If they don't sell, then they go to the pound. 

• Syctari
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-04 16:52:24 — Link

This helps a lot! I have been wondering myself.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-05-06 02:32:04 — Link

Also if a pet is wild or not.. that is becoming super important to me. o.0

• Zenith
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-06 07:00:48 — Link

I remember a thread I saw around the time when I first started BK, I feel it kinda goes hand in hand with this one.

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/1132

• kayaesha
  • User

Posted at 2013-05-07 01:00:07 — Link

Interesting to note here. I sold a pet and underpriced it by a lot. Bad of me I know. Oh well.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla