Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Suggestions < Pet capture change

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• Restless
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-14 10:34:05 — Link

No, that's not at all what flightless suggested. That's what you suggested. Read the first post in the thread again. They said they didn't care about data, just species. For them, problem solved with the Guild. Hence why I addressed my original post specifically to flightless. xD

• Malfunction
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-14 11:55:16 — Link

@Restless, no the Cart. Guild does not do the same thing. Sure you can see the current pet locations. But you still have to catch and tame them, even if you don't want them, in order for new creatures to appear on the map.

This suggestion would essentially prevent the creation of an unwanted pet and still get new creatures to appear, since they would not have to be tamed and saving 3 days of feed/taming time.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-14 15:53:14 — Link

@Restless Ooh I must have misread something along the way. Teach me to read things late at night.

My suggestion still stands though, I think.

* Winter is coming *

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 04:27:24 — Link

" From this moment the stats of the wild pets won't be visible. It's very hard to ask a wild pet to run through an agility or cross country course in order to see what agility and constitution it has. First the pet needs to be tamed and properly trained." - Angel (this suggestion, page 1)

"We can return back the visibility of wild pet stats if you will agree that you can't do anything with the pet before taming is finished  even if you don't like this pet. [...]" - Voron_eril (this suggestion, page 2)

As far as I'm concerned, they have a "logical reasoning" behind hiding the stats and if we agree that we don't do anything to the pet, they'll bring it back.

I do think it was a poorly decided move as this is a petsite, not real life. But they also said integrity is important to them (also on that thread), so we have to choose if we want this over seeing the stats.

For me, I'd rather have the option to release pets before taming as it provides many benefits. For one, I only catch 3 types of pets (Unicorns, Pumas and Cockatrices) and I'd rather NOT get white unicorns. Having this option helps me segregate my pets and choose the ones I want to catch. Regardless of seeing the stats or not, I will at least have control over what I catch and not take everything from the wild.

Second, it purges data that could potentially clutter the site. If I catch a Gryphon for example, I currently would be forced to take it in. Come the time its stats are revealed and it has red marks, I will have to sell it. If the pet doesn't sell, I would be forced to send it to the pound in the hopes of someone taking it in. For example the pet has red stats in Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Courage, Blow and Rush, what can the new owner do with that pet? Sure, gather and explore, but battling with that on an island is going to be one tough task and you can't even up the stats properly. Unless someone else wants to breed the suckiest stat Gryphon ever, then this has no use to anyone.

If having the option prevented me from taking this pet in, letting it go and deleting it from the site, it will not only help remove unwanted (and never wanted) pets from the site, it will also clear out clutter from the site. The pet won't stay in the pound forever since it was released at the beginning. Though since the stats are hidden, it will still help remove unwanted pets by its specie. If the pet has good stats, well, it's not what I want to catch and I don't know the stats so it's a risk I'm willing to take. It uses up my resources and I'd rather not risk wasting it on a pet I won't even get anything from.

I understand that they need to emulate an environment at the moment. The very least is that they can confirm that they will add this feature or something similar after Beta. If they don't want to, then it's their call. If they want pets to be sent to the pound because of too many red stats (say hi to this Cockatrice of mine, what can you even do with that?), then so be it. I just really hope this doesn't clutter the site and slow us down.

Also, penalizing people for releasing a wild creature is like telling people they should just catch everything from the wild. If we base it on reality, that's like over-hunting and it won't be good for the environment. I am going here this since this is how the game developers see their site. I know the pets are unlimited right now and there won't be a risk of environmental disasters (it's a game, unless it's programmed to happen, it won't), but if integrity is important, releasing unwanted animals to be able to live its life in the wild is a good thing.

In technical terms, we're helping remove data from the site. It clears it up, removes clutter and helps prevent the site from slowing down. It's a positive thing. They've also mentioned that there are other ways to find pets to breed with so we don't have to catch pets for "fresh blood." With that, being able to release a pet before taming doesn't jeopardize breeding. I don't think people should be penalized for that.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 04:54:39 — Link

I like the fact that Red seems to be a more eloquent version of myself when we have such similar names (My name is Red IRL so. Weird.)

Basically, this. Its all very good and well to try and have a gamesite emulate real life as much as possible, but there comes a time when that makes a game not fun. I don't want to have to go through several miles of imaginary red tape to play a pretendy fun time game. Some red tape, sure, because thats part of the game, but when all you ever seem to get thrown at you is red tape, its annoying as hell. 

Taming the pets for 3 days eats up resources and space. I think its rediculous that they removed stat visibility on newly captured pets for 'realism', frankly. The stats are the thing people look at, thats obvious. Even if I have a Gryphon (the species I collect, just using it as an example) I don't want to waste that time and those resouces on a dud.

Because thats what these pets with that many red stats are. They're duds. No-one wants them. It happens, and thats fine, but they're gonna be a hell of a clogging issue sooner or later. They will just keep getting adopted, then put in the pound, over and over again, and they will never be used until some kind soul puts them out of their misery by releasing them to the reserve - which is, from what I can gather, a difficult to acquire building that not everyone can build easily, when it shouldn't be. 

If you want to keep the integrity of the story and world, just say the reserve is state run and you have to pay a small fee to the state each time to drop a pet off there.

I'm veering off-topic, sorry. So I made my own about the reserve.

We should have the ability to see the stats and have the option to release instantly if we choose to. Having one without the other is pointless. 

* Winter is coming *

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 10:07:20 — Link

Haha, unlike you though, I haven't really thought of good suggestions. I prefer backing them up with my opinion and what I think is logical (we all have different thought processes, so what's logical to me might not be to the next person). I tend to be very verbouse as I don't want anyone to misinterpret what I say.

I'm very open with discussion, though and I try to understand. Hopefully I don't come out as attacking anyone cause that has happened in the past. I just seem to be very strongly held on to my opinions. o m o

I support this suggestion very much as I think it'll help the site. Maybe not now as they did say they need the influx of data to see if there are any bugs, but I do hope they implement this or something similar eventually. If they opt to keep the stats hidden, then I guess I can wait for it on an animal I would think is worth it for my breedings.

• sunandshadow
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 11:18:04 — Link

Oops nvm.

• irrimn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 12:35:09 — Link

My suggestion for this whole argument is make it so we can see what the pets look like if we have the cartographer's guild. E.G. The little images of the pets look exactly like what the pet does.

I personally hate the fact that I can't see the stats of a untamed pet, but I like that it is realistic so I don't want it changed. You can't do anything with the pet until it is fully tamed anyways, so it doesn't matter that you can't see the pets anyways.

As for being able to not tame the pets, I don't really think that's ever going to get added. Having to tame a pet before you pound/retire it is one of the things that slows down the rate at which people can catch "the perfect" pet. Without that limitation then it'd just be catch-and-release constantly to get pets with only green stats and good genes.

As for the people that collect good looking pets -- being able to see what a pet looks like before you attempt to catch it would solve the problem of catching "bad" looking pets (white unicorns, apparently).

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 15:14:31 — Link

Irrimn, that is a good and easier compromise. I don't have a Cartographer's Guild up, but if it's as someone mentioned, then the problem still stands that pets don't disappear unless they are caught. If I catch Unicorns, Pumas and Cocatrices, but there's only Dragons and Gryphons on the map, I will still be forced to catch them just to cycle the pets out. Unless they make this cycling turn based, then it still stands that there will be pets that are unwanted and have data lying around.

We have a lot of idle data on this site. Two major ones that need to be addressed are no use Level 50 pets and ones that have extreme red stats. Having the Reserve to delete pets is a good feature though it isn't really what it was suggested. I think having to release them is a better option as it doesn't deplete your resources, doesn't take up space and won't end up as idle data that contributes to the eventual clogging of the site.

I don't think it removes the limitations. It'll simply give you the option to push through the taming or not. The time you are given to tame it before you see the stats is a huge limitation in itself. Like they mentioned, if we agree that we don't want anything to do with having a feature that'll affect taming, that's the only time they're going to show us the stats again. As of now, there is no feature for that and we are being penalized for a mere suggestion. At least, that's how I feel and I'm sure it's not their intention.

They are making us choose between seeing stats and having a feature prior to or upon taming. I see more benefits having a feature prior to or upon taming, and not just benefits for single or a couple of users (as compared to seeing stats) but the site over-all. Having this is like having a system for the site to clean itself naturally. I don't see what's wrong with that. And though I agree with RedRarebit on having both features hand in hand (stats and pre-taming), if they are making us choose, which they are, I'd rather have the pre-taming than seeing stats.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 16:11:27 — Link

Giving us an ultimatum doesn't seem like a great sign, to me.

* Winter is coming *

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla