Boards < General < General Chat < What's with 2147483647 in item trades?

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• NixedPhoenix
  • User

Posted at 2017-12-22 11:25:18 — Link

Like, what. I go on to the 'item trades' area of this game, and suddenly I'm bombarded with items going for exactly 2147483647. EXACTLY THAT NUMBER.

This is a really strange and oddly specific number which is strange for 2 reasons: 1) It just seems like a really illogical number to sell things for if you actually want them gone, and 2) It's specific. Those EXACT digits make up every trade. Most trades trading lots of items for large amounts round out to numbers that have lots of zeroes on the end. Or nines. Take your pick.

But, the funny thing is, I've checked who's actually selling these items, and this isn't just a case of some random user deciding to type in a random number for funsies. No.

This is, at least, four or more different users using the exact same number. Coincidence? I think not- and if it is a coincidence, the chance of this randomly occurring in any way, shape or form is pretty infinitesimal in any case. Which, then, makes me instantly skeptical.

So, then, what's going on?

Is it some sort of conspiracy, where a group of friends decided to write out this specific number for fun? Or something else...?

Do you get something if you sell for this much?

Is it just people playing copycats by emulating what they've already seen in the sales?

Please, help me out here. Give me some pointers in the right direction, as I'm honestly stumped.

Thanksie!

• Sheliak
  • User

Posted at 2017-12-22 23:30:04 — Link

Hi! I am one of the users selling things for this ridiculous number, and there is a reason! 

Basically, the auction house can't handle numbers over a certain size—probably Beastkeeper in general can't either; this kind of issue generally has to do with how numbers are stored on the back end. Any number that's too big for it to handle (for example, 9999999999999999999999) is automatically turned into the biggest one it can manage, which happens to be 2147483647. (As for why it's such a random-looking number, it's a bit complicated, but the short explanation is that computers don't use base 10 math.)

As for why you'd enter such a big number... nope, we don't expect anyone to pay that much! Honestly, it's probably more silver than anyone on the site has. But items that are in the auction house to be sold can't be destroyed  or used—they're off limits, like busy pets. Personally, I place lots of 100 food units on auction for ridiculous prices so that my pets won't eat them, in case I need them for the Fertility Shrine in explore (if you can meet its price, it restores a breeding point to your adventuring pet—which is really useful for female Lykos, because they've got tiny breeding point pools to start with). Other people put vermillion up for the highest number they can input in order to keep it safe. It's probably all stuff like that. 

• Monues
  • User

Posted at 2017-12-23 00:59:36 — Link

Exactly as sheliak says, it isnt for any nefarious or secret joke like means. I personally do it to store extra materials so I have space to gather more, or so I have some to fall back on if I don't have time to gather. The listed items don't count towards the total stack, so it's possible to go over 999 materials this way.
We have to be cautious with how we conduct our stealthed buisness, fellow BKSAU's. We mus'nt allow this unaware to waken and discover the fountain of youth nor the fairy circle portal. Fellow members must regard this matter in like manner as previous members' posts.

A [Signiture Box] Left Text Layer 2 SalePerfects by RavensMournB [Signiture Box] Middle by RavensMournC [Signiture Box] Right by RavensMourn

• NixedPhoenix
  • User

Posted at 2017-12-23 01:21:29 — Link

Ah, I see why you'd do that now! Thanks for the explanations, everyone!

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla