Boards < BeastEon Development Forum < Questions & Suggestions < FAQ and quick reference

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Sumatra_Echo
  • User

Posted at 2016-09-04 11:06:27 — Link

So, since the Q&A thread is getting a little long, I thought I'd make a quick reference thread to collect information that's already been provided, so it's easier to find. (Note that many of the ideas and mechanics being discussed are preliminary, and may change before the live game comes out.) This will be updated periodically, but if there's something you think I should add or change, be sure to let me know.

Some useful links:

Quick Answer section:

1. Can I transfer my pets/items/etc. from Beastkeeper to BeastEon?
No. BeastEon is a totally different game, with different mechanics and kinds of items. The gameplay is too different for anything to be transferred over. However, existing Beastkeeper players may receive a small bonus as a reward for early involvement. 

1. Will Beastkeeper shut down after the new game is launched?
Beastkeeper will remain online, but there will be no new updates to the game, aside from existing seasonal events such as the Tundra or Egg Hunt. 

1. When will BeastEon be available to play?
There's no set date, but not for a while yet. Currently, alpha testing is planned to launch in autumn of 2017.

1. The new dragon base looks really cool! Will other pet bases be revamped as well?
Some of the other bases will be adjusted to match the art standard, but there won't be any other complete revamps.

1. Will there be player-versus-player competition?
There will be no direct PvP battles (like the Battlefield), but player competition will still exist in the form of beast contests (like the exhibitions) and user challenges/bets.

1. Will artists be able to create custom skins?
Artists will not be able to create skins that change the official beast base, but they will be able to create items that alter a beast's appearance, such as wearables, custom body parts, and tattoos. They will also be able to create custom backgrounds, recipes, and other items.

1. Describe the Stable and Inventory limits.
There will be no inventory limit, because there is intended to be a large and constantly expanding variety of items for players to obtain. The stable limit likely won't be finalized until after testing, but the current plan is for it to be expandable in tiers, similar to Beastkeeper. 

1. Will there be new species added along with the ones currently available in Beastkeeper? And will there be unique beasts like the Kami?
Yes, new species are being planned, some of which will only be obtainable through gameplay rather than available at the beginning. But no, there will be no unique beasts like the Kami.

1. Will there be a pound?
No.

1. Will there be deviants?
No, there won't be deviants like those on Beastkeeper,  but there will be mutations that affect all types of genes, some of which may change the appearance of beasts, similarly to the Beastkeeper mechanism of deviance.

1. Will a player's political affiliation and/or moral alignment affect their gameplay?
There will be no moral alignments like Good or Evil, but yes, a player's political affiliation will have consequences, although it hasn't been determined exactly how yet. Right now, developing the political system is low priority, and it may not be introduced until after launch.

• Sumatra_Echo
  • User

Posted at 2016-09-04 11:08:14 — Link

Longer Answer section:

Personalities / free will
Each beast has a unique personality that is partially established at birth depending on its genetics, but primarily shaped during its childhood. (The best way to positively shape a young beast's personality is to assign an older, wiser beast as mentor.) A beast's likes, dislikes, relationships, and memories can be influenced by every independent action it takes, random events, and interaction with the player. 

Beasts can interact with each other without the player's direct input within the city. (This area has no graphical representation, and events that take place within it only appear as notifications on the player's social wall.) Here, beasts can make friends or enemies, visit businesses run by other players, and fall in love. 

The player is able to influence a pet's behavior in the city in four ways:
  1. Have the beast get acquainted with something new, such as a new location, profession, or another beast. This allows the beast to interact with those things in the future. Doing this has no direct effect on the beast's personality and doesn't spend authority points.
  2. Order the beast to do something it wasn't going to do itself. Spends authority points.
  3. Order the beast to do something it was already going to do. Doesn't spend authority points.
  4. Perform some other action that requires resources other than authority points, such as materials or money.
See also:

Breeding
The genetics system will be more complex than Beastkeeper, and a beast's genes will affect not only its appearance and skills, but also its personality. Beasts can breed in two different ways:
  1. Passive breeding - Every player's manor has a gene pool of beasts that produces a few babies each day. (These beasts are "inactive", and cannot be controlled by the player in any way.) The player can select a newborn from this pool depending on what genes are desired, at which point it becomes an active beast under the player's control. 
  1. Active breeding - Two active beasts may fall in love and decide to have a baby. This process takes much longer due to the time required for the parents' relationship to form before having a child, but can be directed and accelerated by the player arranging social interactions and dates for their beasts. A beast born in this way has an advantage over beasts born via passive breeding, in that its parents will teach it family skills, pass on crafting recipes unique to its lineage, and shape its personality.

Explore
The explorable world will be a single, infinite area featuring various biotopes, objects, NPCs, and monsters. Players will explore it using a party of beasts, and will be able to meet up with the parties of other players, communicating via a real-time chat feature. While exploring, players will be able to battle monsters, tame wild beasts, gather items, and trade with NPCs, although their party of beasts will need to rest and restock supplies periodically. 

See also:

Authority Points
Each player has a certain number of authority points, which are spent by giving direct commands for your beasts to do or not do specific things. This will alter the beast's behavior, as well as cause the beast to learn and draw conclusions from the situation depending on its existing personality. A player can gain more authority points by raising their overall ranking in the player base, winning user challenges or beast contests, crafting certain items, and occasionally, by finding them in quests or Explore.

Eons
At the end of every eon, the explorable world will be wiped and procedurally regenerated, although the city and player manors will remain untouched. Every eon, players will be able to participate in a global quest, the result of which will affect the explorable world generated in the new eon and the new global quest for that eon. Eons will vary in length, but are currently planned to last around 1 to 4 months.

See also:
Eons of Europa (a historical document / example NPC enounter)

Professions / Shops
Beasts can learn different professions, and may be better suited for one over another depending on the perks and skills in their genetics. They can also run shops in the city that cater to other beasts, such as restaurants, flower shops, or alchemist stores. The player can earn money from these shops when they are visited by other beasts.

Alternatively, some beasts may learn to craft items, although many patterns will require them to achieve a certain skill level in a particular profession. At a high skill level, they will even be able to make custom recipes and items, including wearables and consumables.

Other lore

• pinkblossom
  • User

Posted at 2016-09-26 22:52:32 — Link

I am really looking forward to this, I feel like exploding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• QueenSairai
  • User

Posted at 2016-10-20 03:03:17 — Link

BEASTEON- The Sci-Fi Fantasy RPG game!

• Amnaa
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-28 00:27:01 — Link

I'm SO looking forward to creating wearables for our creatures! I used to do that for some games :D

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-30 19:19:57 — Link

Will we be able to earn in-game currency by creating wearables? I'm sure our resident arty types will be rolling in it if so. :D

I was obsessed with wearables on ponystars (I still miss that game)...

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Sumatra_Echo
  • User

Posted at 2016-12-30 22:39:52 — Link

To those curious about custom wearables, I pulled this information from this post here. I assume it will possible to sell them to other players, although this hasn't been officially confirmed.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2017-01-01 01:56:47 — Link

Yes, it will be possible to earn currency for selling custom crafted pieces and their schemes. The price for a custom piece will be decided by the seller and also by the customer in case of individual orders. It's also will be possible to get a certain reward for sharing a custom scheme and allowing other other beasts to learn it. However, they will have to give / do something significant in exchange of getting access to one of such shared schemes.

• yecak
  • User

Posted at 2017-03-30 01:17:51 — Link

Why won't there be a pound? Will there be some other thing to adopt or disown pets? I think a pound is needed, reason: players such as myself, may breed too many pets and no one will take them, so you can put them in the pound, without that once you reach your pet limit the game becomes boring because you can't breed or obtain more pets. That happened to me on a different game trust me, it can ruin a game.

In war truth is the first casualty - A Goodman 

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2017-03-30 17:18:25 — Link

I think you can "release" unwanted pets back into your general population if you don't want them. They stop being usable.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• yecak
  • User

Posted at 2017-03-30 17:34:14 — Link

What do you mean not "usable"? Will you be able to adopt other pets?

• Marans
  • User

Posted at 2017-03-30 18:21:11 — Link

They will be sent back to your manor to live/work there, behind the scenes. Kinda like the Reserve here, but permanent. Also their genetics are added to some kind of pool, which spawns random babies sometimes. Presumably you can choose to ignore those, and only raise the ones you like. Otherwise things would get too crowded.

There's a lot of info in the other question thread, I recommend reading through it.

• yecak
  • User

Posted at 2017-04-01 02:12:09 — Link

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

• yecak
  • User

Posted at 2017-04-08 01:16:51 — Link

Nevermind

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper