Boards < Offtopic < Offtopic < Becoming a Moderator or Beta Tester

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Veveiane
  • User

Posted at 2015-03-18 21:00:06 — Link

This question has nothing to do with BK. It is not meant to answer "How do I become a BK Moderator?". It is a general question.

I was wondering how does one become a Moderator for a game. I have experience with playing different games may it be virtual pet games, mmorpgs, mmos...etc and I have always wanted to be a moderator for a game. Do different games have different requirements? Or do you have to actually apply for it? Meaning emailing admins...etc.

I was also wondering how does someone become a beta tester for a game. I have always wanted to test out a game. I think you have to be invited by a beta tester to be a beta tester but I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify please?

I didn't know where to ask this since it isn't a game-related question.

PERSONALLY BRED THRODAMA MORPHS  by Veveiane

• Oracion
  • User

Posted at 2015-05-05 19:15:55 — Link

I've never been a moderator, but I've witnessed multiple sites "hiring" mods.

In a lot of forums, the admin will put up ads asking for moderators once the forum has built a steady following. Usually, applicants will have to go through a rigorous interview and may need to meet certain criteria depending on what the admin needs. This include an age limit, minimum log in duration,  compatible timezone and minimum contribution to the already existing community. Most of the time, these mods are volunteers and will be asked to provided real information such as name, age and location. In forums linked to a business similar to MMOs, their forums are run by admins and moderators hired by the company. I have rarely seen any business promote members to moderators. I think that is because they would rather be physically close to employees that will be in contact with their clients. 

As for being a Beta Tester, games will usually put up ads when they are in their Alpha phase. You will need to sign up by e-mail and hope that you get selected when it's the Closed Beta. Some company also garantees access to these Closed Beta if you buy some special packs (I'm looking at SOE).  It's usually during this step that closed beta keys are provided to those who have been chosen to take part in it so that they can send them to their friends. The next step would be Open Beta and that's essentially a free for all. In other words, gotta stumble on the game early and be patient (some games are in development for YEARS before you can actually get to try it.) 

Après moi, le déluge.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2015-05-06 23:02:47 — Link

Excellent question! Allow me to shed my own experience on this situation. I have been a moderator for Beastkeeper, Aerithea, some Proboards Roleplays, and an Admin for the Wajas Chatroom. I also ran my own Proboards Roleplay for a few years.

I shall start with Beastkeeper as the obvious example…

I joined the day Beastkeeper I opened. I had heard about it on other sites and was waiting for it to come out. Having an older account really does help when applying for a Moderator position as generally it shows that you have experience and you know about the history and development of the game. For BK Angel had open Moderator applications (http://beastkeeper.com/thread/4046). I basically had to answer a set of questions. BK was young in the day so our userbase was so much smaller! I think what helped is I was active every day, posting on the help forums and guides, and welcoming new users. In general being an example player and becoming well known. I don't know Angel personally, and actually reside on the other side of the world! I think it helps that I am in a different time-zone, so that we will have coverage. Our time online does overlap occassionally.

Generally this is how it is done. It has happened in the past where I have been approached by site staff that felt I would be good Moderator material, and in some scenarios it has been through applications (such as Beastkeeper). However, the requirements are always the same. Mature, respected, well known, fair (to all parties), unbiased, not afraid to deal with sticky situations, active, and knowledgeable about the game.

Other sites I have been a moderator on had slightly different ways of moving “up the ranks” so to say. I even had to pass a mini “what if?” test once!

When most sites begin it seems that the Admin/Site Creators friends, or people that they know from other sites are generally moderators. For Aerithea I actually applied on the day I joined and cited past examples and how I would handle certain situations.

For the Wajas Chatroom I was approached by the current staff that were there. I was active, fair and had high standards for myself. I essentially already acted as a moderator (without mini-modding) without being one. Normally when there was a lack of staff online or the situation was just crazy (which happened).

It is always up to the discretion of the staff obviously. Normally they will let people know when they are hiring. Often they will have public applications. Rarely does messaging a staff member and asking for a position work.

Beta Testing:

A whole ‘nother monster. This can be a whole lot of luck (and sometimes money). I have been playing pet site games for at least 14 years now. I’ve been a beta on many sites… Some I stuck with. Some I haven’t. I was on Wajas the longest before I left. The funny thing is  I normally find new sites on the “Other Games” advertisements on game forums. Often teasers will be posted by the staff/creators to help give the site some advertisement. Sometimes Alpha testers will post looking for referrals and such. I recommend keeping your eye on these boards on games that you currently play to find new games.

Beta testing varies by site, and whether or not the Beta testing is open or closed. Alpha testing is normally the first step. Usually that is open to contributors or donators, maybe a few others. Beta testing is usually more open. Closed would mean that it would be by invite only, or during certain open enrollments. Sometimes you may need a referral code, or know a member on the site already.

I’d be happy to go more in depth if you would like. I stalk new games like a hawk. I literally have a bookmark for them and reminders on my computer to check when things open up J

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Liandralithe
  • User

Posted at 2015-05-07 04:31:44 — Link

I was a moderator for a pokemon game once. Essentially I was very active on the forums, helpful, and well known. The admin noticed this and since some of the past moderators were no longer active, I was hired to fill in the gaps that other moderators couldn't be on. The fact I played it day and night probably helped too.

So to answer your question. Be active. Different games hire moderators differently but if you are rarely on or unknown to either the admins or players, you are unlikely to become a moderator.

Always looking for the following: Mutagen, Change Sex Scrolls, Rainbow Jars

I need: 2 Money Tree Saplings; 3 Nightcat; 1 Warehouse (lvl 6)

I have: 1 Spirit in a Jar; 1 Snake Eye

Have Ice Breath + Ice Aura Lykos and Lightning Rocs for Sale

• birdlove
  • User

Posted at 2015-05-23 09:12:43 — Link

Access to closed beta is pretty straightforward  for most of the games. BK is a rare exclusion here, they didn't have a closed beta at all. Usually you just buy a beta access key / beta account. The sale may be conducted in different ways (straight sale on the game site, pre-purchase in Steam, Kickstarter perk etc.), but it's simple as that most of the times. I've did this in a few anticipated MMORPGs and browser games.

Open beta is open for everyone, you just need to be alert and track the development process of the game that you're waiting for in order not to miss it.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla