Boards < General < Creative < Programs for making skins (Download Links)

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• MirunaR5
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-04 21:13:23 — Link

Hello. I am new and I don't know on what application I can create a skin. PLEASE HELP ME

Nightingale's Edit: Please see below for programs, download links, and other help. I hope these are of help to new and old artists! :)

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-05 05:48:52 — Link

Well the files are in .png and .psd formats. The .png can be edited in most programs.

I suggest using a free program linke GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) or Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/download.html). I personally like Paint.net more, I find the GIMP interface to be extremly confusing...

Photoshop is one of the best programs, but also expensive. Adobe did release CS2 free (Legacy Edition). This is LEGAL. Adobe released it as a freeware legacy edition- it is just no longer on their page for bandwidth reasons. If you have knowledge otherwise please let me know and I will remove it.

Be warned, Photoshop does take a considerable amount of space on your computer, make sure it can handle it.

Here is the link: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Angel did make a photoshop tutorial for skin creating. While it may not be the program you are using, it does have lots of important baisics: http://beastkeeper.com/color-tutorial

Angel also uploaded video of herself drawing/coloring some of the Kami. Maybe some people will find the process useful- I know it helped me!

Famine Time Lapse Video
War Time Lapse Video
Pestilence Time Lapse Video

Also check out Deviantart.com. This site has LOTS of tutorials that can help familiarize you with different programs, styles, highlighting/shading, and so on. I gained all my artistic knowledge here. If you are lucky you can catch some artists livestreaming their drawing procces. If you are a visual learner this is super helpful. Not only does it help you see the process- but you can understand how others use the program. 

I also suggest the use of a graphics table. I use a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch which helps me SO much with my art. I love it and you can buy them used for fairly cheap on Amazon.com or from sites like Staples.

If all else fails you can commission skins from other users :)

EDIT: GriffinRider has another suggestion for a program!!!

Hi, I would just like to post about a site/program that I use, which is Autodesk Pixlr.  https://pixlr.com/

Pixlr is a free to use program, that you do not need to download, unless you do mobile or want Pixlr Desktop. It can be used online and offline with a web app and two mobile apps.

I have not tried the mobile apps, for I do not have a mobile device that would support it and that most mobile apps are not as good as computer ones, but the web app is great. Though, over what I have done and learned, Pixlr works alot like Photoshop, the only differences of coarse is that it is free, it is not Adobe product but an Autodesk product, and can be used online and offline.

You can login with a Google account or sign up on the Pixlr site, but this is optional when using their products.

They even have a link to their Tutorials on the bottom of the site's page.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Pidove
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-05 06:17:53 — Link

My program of choice of Paint Tool SAI. I use it for all of my art; my Gryphon, Fire Opal,'s  skin was made by me in that program. I would suggest the program to anyone, from beginners to veteran artists. Its a wonderful, lightweight yet powerful program that won't eat up your RAM like Photoshop so often does.

So yup, that's my two cents. :)

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-02-05 13:17:21 — Link

I think I'll stick this, it may be really useful for newbie artists here. 

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-05 15:39:35 — Link

Awesome!

Well I did find the CS2 Software. This is LEGAL. Adobe released it as a freeware legacy edition- it is just no longer on their page for bandwidth reasons. If you have knowledge otherwise please let me know and I will remove it.

Here is the link: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Download and enjoy. There are LOTS of awesome tutorials on deviantart. Be warned photoshop is a rather big application so make sure your computer can handle it.

• abcde
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-25 09:40:31 — Link

Thanks everyone for providing this info...and everyone's artwork is truly beautiful.

• lovedogz1998
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-30 06:28:48 — Link

Hellow. 

Well, I just wanted to ask if I could draw my skins by hand, and the scann them. 

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-03-30 13:37:11 — Link

lovedogz1998, if you are able to produce an image of decent quality on traditional media and follow these rules, then you can use any media. 

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-04-02 00:03:44 — Link

You can probably also ask users who have set up skin shops to make a digital version of it. Or you can check out some -really- great Deviant Art tutorials on optimizing your traditional work presentation on the computer. ^^ 

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-05-10 03:36:28 — Link

I use gimp often, if you need help  with the program, ask me as well.

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• wolfspirit
  • User

Posted at 2014-07-03 21:33:03 — Link

Do these work on a phone?  I'd really love to try to make some....but I'm completely clueless as to how to begin

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-07-04 04:34:35 — Link

@Wolfspirit- I don't know of any programs that are supported on a phone, especially ones that can do layers... I know certain tablets can (ones that have a more laptop-like OS at least- like the Windows Surface Pro 3). Other than that I don't know of any, sorry. Maybe some day they will start making more support for phones and tablets. I use my Windows 8 phone a lot when browsing BK, but it doesn't quite handle the site as a computer would! I wish I could give you a better response! 

• wolfspirit
  • User

Posted at 2014-07-04 20:59:22 — Link

Ah it's ok lol thanks for the answer :)

• GriffinRider
  • User

Posted at 2014-12-01 05:14:49 — Link

Hi, I would just like to post about a site/program that I use, which is Autodesk Pixlr.  https://pixlr.com/

Pixlr is a free to use program, that you do not need to download, unless you do mobile or want Pixlr Desktop. It can be used online and offline with a web app and two mobile apps.

I have not tried the mobile apps, for I do not have a mobile device that would support it and that most mobile apps are not as good as computer ones, but the web app is great. Though, over what I have done and learned, Pixlr works alot like Photoshop, the only differences of coarse is that it is free, it is not Adobe product but an Autodesk product, and can be used online and offline.

You can login with a Google account or sign up on the Pixlr site, but this is optional when using their products.

They even have a link to their Tutorials on the bottom of the site's page.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-12-01 05:26:39 — Link

Thanks for the info! I added it to my original post and gave you credit. That way people can see it all in one place. :)

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla