Boards < General < Creative < Possible Original Skins; opinions?

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 3 4 | Next »

• Skyeacreon
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-20 13:12:36 — Link

So, I speed-sketched a bunch of possible custom skins. Let me know what you think?

All of these will most likely be set to public.

Secretary Bird x Cheetah Gryphon

Sparrow x Housecat Gryphon

Um.... Please don't laugh at my Fail!corn. I'll fix it, I swear. It's just.... Equines are so hard to draw...

...Er..........here, have some cute

So yeah, that's what I have at the moment. If you have any suggestions/comments, please feel free!

p.s.- I'm working on a possible Bone Dragon, depending on whether or not the moderator gives it the go-ahead.

• Mildnight
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-20 19:14:00 — Link

THese are all very good looking! Nice posing too!

THey only need some sweet lineart and detailing on the wing! (and please, do make the feather correct! It would be such a shame if your WONDERFULL creatures had bad wing feather anatomy... I see it much too often!)

Failcorn is not that bad... It looks good, at least at first! It probably has a bit of a big head though... And if I look at it long enough, there seem to be some perspective problem with the back legs (one seems a tiny bit longer than the other)... And maybe the other legs too... a bit... *turns head* maybe that left front leg is a bit too intenselly folded/too long too...

I'm not a great equine artist either, so I'm having trouble correcting you!
 BUT those look really amazing, please do finnish them!

Still avatar-less? Want something personalised to represent you on-site? I might be able to help you! http://beastkeeper.com/thread/1577/#9243

• Skyeacreon
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-20 19:24:40 — Link

Thanks! Yeah, wings/feathers are tough. But I'm a sucker for anyting with them. >.>

Ah well. I'm still not very good with them, but I keep improving, which is all that matters, I suppose.

Fail!corn will be improved upon. That I guarantee. ...Which means it probably won't see the light of day for months haha

p.s.- How are the wings on my in-progress signature?

edit- I got the okay for a Bone Dragon! So here's a quick doodle.

• Mildnight
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 02:05:24 — Link

AHMAGAHD a bone dragon. I want one :B

The wings are acceptable, but there is s slight problem with the filght feathers (first row from the outside):

This row is generally the longest, often as long as the rest of the wing combined, so they might be a little short (some birds do have it shorter!). THe main problem though is that the second row of feathers (sorry, I don't really know all their names!) end farther toward the tip than the first one... It kind of look like there are two or three feathers missing to complete the nice, wind catching wing shape!

Look at the wings on mister random bird: http://www.hdwallpapersarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/blue_and_red_bird_wallpaper.jpg

You'll probably understand what I mean better that way ;) (mister bird is missing part of a feather on his left wing though. That small gap is not supposed to be there)

Still avatar-less? Want something personalised to represent you on-site? I might be able to help you! http://beastkeeper.com/thread/1577/#9243

• Rolling-Bones
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 04:39:20 — Link

Did someone say WINGS?

There is a very rigid structure to bird wings that is worth studying if you want to draw them convincingly! It's always a good idea to practice from reference (condors are especially good for studying feather groupings), but you can find some really handy tutorials if you look around. Here's one of them.

These are some really awesome ideas, though, and they'd make fabulous skins--especially if you get the wings down pat!

• Stanari
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 06:19:17 — Link

Gosh I hate wings too -_-

But your Gryffons are sooo cute :)

• GoddessOTU
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 18:46:45 — Link

Skye, I want to see you attempt a cockatrice ;)

By the way, I forgot to mention earlier, but that last gryphon is utterly adorable and I want to cuddle and roll around on the floor with it ^_^

• Fya
  • Nɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇs Sʟᴀʏᴇʀ

Posted at 2013-03-21 19:56:24 — Link

ZOIHFKNGWK. That is one beautiful thread of awesomeness. Do you take commissions?

10.14.2013 ~ 02.13.2014

I love you more than the world, from the beginning to the end that'll never come.

• Skyeacreon
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 22:52:13 — Link

Mildnight-Thanks for the help! I couldn't figure out what was bothering me for the longest time, haha. How does it look now? :)

Rolling Bones- THank you very much! (and for the tutorial. I shall endeavor to keep improving!)

Stanari- I actually really like wings. ...Or mayhaps just winged creatures. Yeah. Drawing them.... All of those feathers kill me on the coloring part... *sigh* (and thanks!)

GoddessOTU- Your wish is my command ;D I'm going to finish my signature, then the Bone Dragon, then I'll see about a cockatrice. Facebook me, yeah? (That gryphon wants to cuddle with you too. See? It's all, "...Play? Play? PLAY??")

Fya- I believe I will! I have a million to do for other sites, so I'll catch up a bit on those and then I shall see about setting up something for here~

• GoddessOTU
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:00:30 — Link

Yeah, I just don't think I've ever seen you draw something quite like one, so it would certainly be a fun experiment :D

And yes, PLAAYYYY~

The colors on your siggie dragon are looking awesome so far!

• Mildnight
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:29:19 — Link

Them wings might still be missing a bit of legght on the tip (Long pointy wings look better than roundish ones), but I do see a good bit of improvement!

DARE MAKE THEM LONNNNGGGGGGGG. DAREEEEEE

I stole your pictureeeeeee. Then I scribbled all over it!

That's not 100% right, but you get the point... ;P

• Skyeacreon
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-22 01:49:55 — Link

He looks a million times better; thank you so much! See anything else I should change?

• Mildnight
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-22 02:24:34 — Link

ummmmmmm... looks about right to me...

maybe hand posing, if I want to get picky. They look a lot like human hand, yet are placed at such a sharp angle... but it really isn't that important. Maybe those toes on the left hind leg... the finger looks somehow random placed...

But at that point it's really just details. :)

• Skyeacreon
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-22 03:12:20 — Link

Well, details are important! XD

Actually, the hands are like that on purpose. Kinda human-ish, but can pose in bird-like manners. Like how birds can tuck up their feet

The toes on the feet make visual sense in the full-size version, where you can see them better, but I guess it doesn't translate so well to the smaller size.... hmn... Well, I probably won't change that particular thing now because of the way the coloring will be. We'll see. I'll show you the colored version soon~

Thanks for all the help, really! Details are like, my bread and butter. I love all the little nitpicky things. So, I actually really love it whenever someone points out small things to me. It makes me happy that there aren't bigger, more obvious mistakes to comment on hahaha. Can I ask you for opinions in the future?

• Mildnight
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-22 23:17:19 — Link

Sure, you can always come to me if you feel like being told all the small things that might not work perfectly ;)

(PRUTTY COLORSSSSS)

« Prev | 1 2 3 4 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla