Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Suggestions < snipe guard

Boards

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-04 03:46:22 — Link

I support.... I stalked an auction for two hours.. I bidded like mad, and even did another bid on top of my most recent bid a minute before ending. No-body was even bidding but I thought I would be safe.. turns out someone sniped me for a level 2 stable (WANT).... (There was no auto-buy or I would have done it).

It's not that I can't stalk it for the last minute. It's that I HAVE AN EXTREMELY SLOW INTERNET CONNECTION that sucks monkey poo... I refresh and it goes from like 2 minutes to done.... :/

Besides the seller wins on a snipe gaurd anyway.. because the price goes up and they get more moolahs.

So support... I support whether it is optional or not.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Kita
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 05:41:31 — Link

No support.

I feel like auctions wouldn't be competitive if there were a snipe-guard.

If a seller wants more money, then put the starting bid as the lowest possible price you'd take, then they can't be disappointed in what it would sell for.

Instead of a snipe guard, why not just make user shops instead?  Then people could sell items in user shops and you wouldn't have to worry about auctions and getting sniped...you could just buy from a user shop.

Or buy off the forums.

Kita from #3988 on Aywas.

• Kayana
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 20:15:56 — Link

No support.

Yes it sucks when you get sniped. I've been sniped. I've been the sniper. But snipe guards drag things out interminably imo and if it just keeps being extended, no one's going to be happy about it.

I set time limits on my auctions for a reason. If I didn't care when/if I got the money, I'd set it for days, not 24 hours, or 12 hours. I don't want it dragging on. I just want to sell it and move on.

At any rate, user shops are an alternative as stated, (Unless they're a no go, I haven't gotten to that thread yet. >.>) buy off forums as stated, or allow an optional snipe guard for people who want it. Personally.. I'd never use one if it was in, and I'd prefer it wasn't mandatory on auctions.

• koben
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 21:07:05 — Link

okay after reading through to here and to make everyone happy

yes i would support the OPTION to have a snipe guard, it would by DEFAUT BE OFF. AND if an auction had snipe guard somewhere on the actual item trader page it would state so.

it it was a mandatory i deffently still dont support.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-05 15:14:37 — Link

I support the 'optional snipe guard' only. 

* Winter is coming *

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-05 17:08:02 — Link

No support.

Auctions are meant to be competitive online. If someone snipes them from you, then I'm sorry. Good job to them.

I always get sniped even if I stalk the item. It's why I wait for someone to put a low AB and buy the item. I also don't see that big difference between someone ABing and Sniping. Sure, sniping lets you stalk it longer, but the 2 or so hours you spend "stalking" the item is surely not spent staring at the tab and frantically waiting for someone to bid so you can outbid it. I'm sure you can spend your 2 hours being more productive and come back at the last few minutes so you can compete with your fellow haggle peers. That's just how it goes.

I support the Shop feature. I feel that the optional snipe guard beats the purpose of virtual auctions. The time I set on my auctions is when I want, as the seller, the auction to end and if I'm willing to wait, I would have placed a longer time.

Sure, if it's optional, it means that you're prepared to wait a little longer than that, but what's the point of having a cut-off period if it won't be followed? I don't see the point and efficiency in this.

Also, if you don't have fun competing with people, you can always place an ad on the forum section dedicated for that purpose. It'll take longer, but you're sure to get the item for yourself without prior competition. You just gotta pay, which will help the site more than you think as it is in its early stages of economic development.

• Restless
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-06 03:45:42 — Link

How about a setup like Ebay where you put in the max bid amount you want to pay and then the site automatically bids for you until you hit that max?

That could be a worthwhile premium only feature, even.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-06 05:53:01 — Link

I really like the optional snipe gaurd. That way people can at least choose...

For me it's not about competing or getting what I want... it's that I have a VERY BAD internet connection... anyone remember dial-up? Thats what I haev when I'm home. We are just barely getting sattelight... if a bird farts the internet goes out... That being said I know that life isn't fair and others do have a fast internet... but for other people... life hits... we can't spend two hours hovering... only to waste it in the last two minutes when someone snipes you. I overbid, then place another bid on what my internet shows to be another minute- and I still get sniped.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Thorai
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-08 18:38:14 — Link

I support! optional would be nice.

• irrimn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-09 00:53:12 — Link

I both support and not support. I think, when making an auction, the seller should have the OPTION of enabling snipe-guard and also, exactly how long the auction will get extended for if someone does bid in the last minute of the auction. Default I'd say, 1 minute extension -- this would stop people from bidding at 1 second before the auction ends.

Also keep in mind that this is just an option for the seller to enable and wouldn't be the defacto standard. Also, anyone viewing the auction would be able to see that the option was selected, which would mean anyone looking to snipe would obviously just go elsewhere for their goods.

Both types of auctions available, everyone wins.

• AshtaraSilunar
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-09 00:58:51 — Link

I do not support any sort of automatic snipe guard.  A large part of bidding is the risk of losing.  If I am bidding on something, I either pay the autobuy or resign myself to knowing I may not win.

I'm not that thrilled about an optional one, either, I think they cause more problems than they solve, but I won't fight over it. 

I'm looking for the recipes for Townhall lvl 5, Warehouse lvl 6, and Astrologist lvl 4.  I'm also looking for 4 ancient horns, 4 snake eyes, 4 money tree saplings, and 4 nightcats.  

• Swiftla
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-09 03:57:06 — Link

No support.

I do like the idea of the max bid idea where you put your max and the site bids up to there for you. I have no idea how hard this would be to code or if it would cause lag. It sucks to have a slow internet connection but if I really want an item i just bid my highest in the last few mins and hope nobody wants to beat it.

• NiteThorn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-09 23:12:03 — Link

An optional snipe guard--placed by the seller--would probably be useful. But I don't really support a full-stop, mandatory snipe guard. 

I've stalked auctions on other sites, mainly looking for pets that fit with whatever project I was trying; I've even sniped a few, when I was desperate for that pretty coat color or high stats. On here, I just look and see if there are any items I want with the auction ending soon. Within a couple hours, say. If it's soon enough, then I'll place a bid. If not, I'll move on. Or I'll just autobuy, if feasible.

But I don't want a full snipe guard that's going to drag things out. I'm an impatient person, I'll admit, and that would just rank right up there in the top ten pet peeves for online games for me.

I do feel for the people with slower connections :( I've been there, it sucks majorly.

Exhibited Sim: YukiBaby #23145

FanFiction: xXFrostKittenXx #4390707

A few bits of silver is nothing in real life...but it can be the difference between a stable expansion and limiting your breeding goals.

• Shadow
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-10 01:48:10 — Link

I support something optional. But not manditory.

Especially the way this site is set up. As of right now, there are only auctions. No trades, no shops. (This may or may not change later, Angel did like the idea when I proposed there being shops and trades)

I use the beastkeeper auctions to do my shopping. If I like the price for the autobuy, I'll autobuy it because I need whatever it is now, not when the auction ends.

I don't often go on auctions, but I don't see the point of guarding an auction for a few hours/days, when you could just wait until it's almost over and then make your offer.

I don't "snipe", because that term kind of implies that I'm doing something purposefully and possibly maliciously. I just don't see the point of offering so early in the game. 

Hello there! My name is Shadow, and I specialize in the collecting and breeding of gryphons. If you'd like to breed with one of my males, or purchase any of my non-gryphons, just shoot me a message!

• Westly

Posted at 2013-03-12 06:08:35 — Link

I support this whole heartedly.

For any of you who have used auction sites, snipe guard is fantastic for the buyer and the seller.  You can't keep an auction going on forever, because they are self limiting.  A person is only going to pay so much for an item.  Or, they only have a finiate amount of money to pay for an item.

I hate bid sniping.  That's because instead of saving up, you have to be lucky enough to be there when the bid closes, and lucky enough to sweep in at just the right time.  Luck shouldn't have anything to do with it.

My Webcomic!

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla