Boards < General < Pet Showcase < Inbreeding

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 3 | Next »

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-03 04:27:02 — Link

For some reason, ever since I found out that this site keeps track of inbred babies and assigns a special (negative) status to them, I've been obsessed with the idea of getting the first inbred baby on here, and starting a whole clan of inbred pets.

...as one of my friends just said, "I think you have a problem."

Anyhow, the first of my inbred babies came back!

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/13871

Son/mother inbreeding, Grade 1. Unless I'm mistaken, it's the first truly inbred (not glitch-inbred) baby on this website.

And the funny thing is, he still has decent stats. :V

Does anybody else share my silly, silly goal?

Edit: New inbred babies! All gryphons this time, not pumas.

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/14711: Half-sibling parents. One red stat.

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/15259: Mother/son parents. Two red stats.

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/15932: Mother/son parents. Two red stats, one green stat.

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/15939: Father/daughter parents. One red stat.

And the nice thing about the gryphon babies is many of them are close relatives... once they grow up, Grade 2 breeding will begin. >>

#33507 on Aywas

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-03 09:46:06 — Link

Why is his name not Oedipus that is what I would like to know

I actually want to breed a pet that has all red stats eventually. Right now I'm focusing more on breeding good pets to establish myself and make money and resources and such, though. :)

• flightless
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-03 15:13:31 — Link

I was wondering if it would be possible to breed pets with genetic power and degeneration,? Perhps a goal to get a pet with genertic power 3 and degeneration 3, if that's even possible?

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-03 18:20:33 — Link

His name isn't Oedipus because Oedipus is the father of inbred kids in the myth. His name is actually one of the children from the mother/son pairing of that myth. xD

Flightless, that's actually another of my goals. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but it'd probably require some careful planning/luck.

#33507 on Aywas

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 07:43:59 — Link

Oh herp I always forget the kid's names lol

• emmie1977
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-05 18:16:01 — Link

i might at some point have to join you on this quest.......

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-05 19:48:07 — Link

I encourage it, emmie1977!

Oh, and Fluffy_Horror, I think inbreeding and red stats tend to go together, so if and when you decide to embark on your own idiosyncratic quest, feel free to ask for my help!

I've also gotten several more inbred babies back in the past few days, I'm going to go edit those into my first post.

#33507 on Aywas

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-06 06:00:39 — Link

Hahah I did notice those and was impressed that they actually had some good stats.. I mean if you have great genes... then those are going to be dominant and I guess can outway the genetic degredation in some cases.. or at least mitigate it.

Congrats on the first inbred!

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 06:29:47 — Link

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/18622

First of the Grade 2 babies is back!

In addition to his father's being born of a mother/son relationship, his great-grandmother on his mother's side is the same mother from that relationship! I'm not sure what the terms for that sort of relatedness would be... I need to brush up on those terms, I guess. xD

#33507 on Aywas

• Fade
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 07:21:33 — Link

I love this project your doing.. xD

Though, I'm wondering how much work was done into the inbreeding system? Perhaps they should make harsher consequences for inbreeding? Because these babies don't seem to be that bad.
I mean, of course it'd be worse if they had worse genes to work with, but you'd think maybe the "normal" genes would mutate to bad genes or "special" genes specifically for inbreds.

Not to say there was no thought put into the process, so I hope the developers don't take offense, but just observing your work so far just puts these thoughts into my head. (: It genuinely intrigues me, and I may end up mimicking your project because I might be just a tad bit sadistic. ;P

• NiteThorn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 07:35:19 — Link

Well, think of it. How do they create new breeds of cats, or dogs? It's done through inbreeding, because they're trying to concentrate the genes enough to get what they want.

So maybe this system works perfectly after all? It makes perfect sense to me.

Exhibited Sim: YukiBaby #23145

FanFiction: xXFrostKittenXx #4390707

A few bits of silver is nothing in real life...but it can be the difference between a stable expansion and limiting your breeding goals.

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-08 07:15:16 — Link

Inbreeding in the real world only affects the inbred baby if the genes that the parents carrry have less than 12% genetic difference. If the difference is above that, there won't be much complications over-all factors considered. Unless the dominant gene taken from both parents are the "bad" gene, having a higher than 12% genetic difference won't harm the child.

It's a misconception that if cousins or siblings have children, their offspring will immediately be genetically disabled. This is false. There is a higher chance with siblings, but not if the siblings were from parents of different family trees. This is because there is a high possibility that the genetic mark-up of both children did not come from just one of the parents but both of them, rendering them a high chance to have genetic differences enough to create an offspring that functions as normally as possible.

The only sure way to have genetically problematic offsprings is when the inbreeding happens in more than one, and I can even push to the next two generations. The second inbreeding level is harmful enough to the child, but the more the practice is continued, the higher the chances of negative effects.

In rabbits for example, parents breeding with their offspring will not affect the babies as they bear quite the genetic difference. Sibling breeding, most especially from the same litter since their genes are very similar from each other, is highly discourage as there is a high risk of having genetic anomalies such as decreased resistance to sicknesses and infections, bone structure defficiencies and over-all function. This is, though, not a 100% case and most often than not, they may produce functioning kittens. Though, breeding from parents and litter of these third generation kittens are highly discouraged due to the shared genetic markup of these babies with their parents. Breeding them to their grandparents may have varied, but more positive results.

I've bred rabbits before (though I segregate the females and males as to prevent such accidents) and have researched a lot. Haha!

Remember, DNA contains so much genetic data and 12% difference is a very small percentage. To reach that level, it will definitely take generations for the effects to kick in.

It's also a high misconception that dogs and cats are inbred to create the perfect babies. It is true that there were a lot of inbreeding, but they brought in fresh blood that resembled the genetic preference from time to time. Most often than not, they had three branches prepared as it is a planned thing, not on a whim. The inbreeding happens when the breed starts to become commercial and there are breeders that are interested, but aren't careful. Usually, the foundation of the breed is not inbred, it only comes later on and doesn't bear extreme effects due to how DNA works.

Of course this does not apply to all breeds and there are definitely certain breeds that started as an inbreeding result, but most breeders that want to breed for certain traits, especially in our time, do not result to inbreeding anymore as the issue has gotten out of hand. Breeders that inbreed do it not because of desparation or because there is no genepool/external sources, but because of commercial and money generating purposes. It's why even if the offspring is normally functioning, if it is inbred, it has a negative feedback because of the abuse most commercial breeders do.

• NiteThorn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-08 08:51:21 — Link

Rabbit babies are called kittens? I just call them fluffies XD

Yay for research! Genetics was probably my favorite part of biology, and what started my interest in breeding games like this, particularly if they included actual genetics.

Thank you for the explanation, too. I was too lazy to write out something that long and complicated XD And I really do mean it.

I wonder if they're planning to put effects into the game later on for the degeneration? I know there are games that do that, regardless of how it would work out in real life...

Exhibited Sim: YukiBaby #23145

FanFiction: xXFrostKittenXx #4390707

A few bits of silver is nothing in real life...but it can be the difference between a stable expansion and limiting your breeding goals.

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-08 16:27:24 — Link

For what it's worth, my latest inbred baby does actually have pretty bad stats:

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/19564

But the relatives' stats aren't the greatest either, and it's Grade 2, and it took this many tries... I do kind of wonder if Degeneration should be made even worse, especially if the suggestion that users be warned when attempting inbreeding gets implemented. I originally thought it'd be the reverse of Genetic Power, with negative 10 given to each stat. Maybe that would be fairer... though getting negative stats might happen around Grade 3 then... xD

#33507 on Aywas

• emmie1977
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-09 02:48:54 — Link

i actually ended up breeding brother and sister accidently, and this is the result: http://beastkeeper.com/pet/19075

« Prev | 1 2 3 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla