Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Suggestions < Renaming upon new ownership.

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• Caribou
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 11:44:59 — Link

Coming back to this thread and seeing all these comments really just brings me back to one question, that I have to ask:

Why is naming your pets on here such a big deal, anyways?

The pets are tracked by their ID#'s, correct? So why does changing their names have to be such a big deal? Why not throw out the naming limit and Amnesia Potion altogether, like Nightingale suggested? I just can't see why there'd be such a big hullaballoo over something like this. :/ Other sites I've been on that kept track of pets via ID#'s never had issues with naming, so I'm really confused here as to why the pet's name has to be limited to begin with, let alone a 'special feature' that requires a special item to change... It's kinda lame, and causing a lot of irritation on several fronts no matter what solution is proposed while this feature is a part of the site. :c
Especially when, like several people have mentioned and I'm sure many of us have seen, some users deliberately give pets frankly stupid names. It's one thing if it's being kept by that person and not sold or not originally intended for sale, but when you have people give pets that they don't intend to keep whatsoever names like that, it's doing nothing but ruining things for everyone else here. And just try to think of how it's going to be once thousands of users are using this site! You are going to have so many people giving pets names like that that it wont makes sense to have naming restricted. Half the pets in the database will have names like that! Especially when it costs so much for an Amnesia Potion- people aren't going to pay to rename 70% of the pets they buy from other users, and then your site is going to be overrun with Buym3plz's and spark1ePrince55's and such.  .___.
Short of Amnesia Potions being made ridiculously cheap, it doesn't seem to me that this feature should even be kept. *shrug* I'd like to hear why it's there to begin with, though, because it really doesn't make much sense to me. :/

• Dr_Starchild
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 15:14:27 — Link

A point of restricted names is to make people give decent names, and not something like "Roc_gen2_Blue".

If you want to sell a pet, don't name it! it's your own fault if you can't sell it if you gave it a stupid name.

I actually prefer sites where you can use names only once, and no one else can pick the same name. People REALLY make an effort to give good names.

• Gwinni
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 15:28:19 — Link

Support.

I don't mind buying named pets if it's a proper name but when it's named bymeplz or ohdearlord I avoid them like the plague. I like the idea of the being able to change the name once for free if you've bought the pet. Personally I don't name them unless I really like the pet and intend on keeping it.

• Kayana
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-04 20:10:20 — Link

I agree with Caribou on this. There really seems to be absolutely no point to having naming restrictions.

People are always going to name pets stupid things. Having a name restriction just punishes anyone else who buys the pet though, and not the original namer.

I just don't think there is any reason to have names restricted and imo they should be freely able to be changed... then poor buymeplz could actually find a good home. ;)

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla