Boards < General < General Chat < Writer Application Open

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-02-01 00:07:37 — Link

We’re in need of a volunteer staff writer who will add some colors to BeastKeeper worls and help us to explain the players what is going on here. We need a person who is able to write a fantasy / sci-fi crossover since the game world is based on fantasy that has a sci-fi basis. We will provide the guidelines for the core history and ongoing events as well as the origin of pet species and monsters.

Requirements

• Be at least 16 years old
  • Be active on the site to have a an idea about world concept, history and  events
  • Be able to deliver tasks in a timely manner
  • Be able to work together with adminstration and revise pieces in order to make them match the overall concept

Writer Duties

• Descriptions of pet species
  • Description of items
  • Description of color genes
  • Description of monsters
  • Events backstory
  • BeastKeeper world backstory

At the current moment we need the descriptions of 7 pet species (around 500-800 words each), 4 monsters (around 300-500 words each) and one piece about the world history (around 1000-1500 words). This is a relatively long-term task which we would like to be delivered in around 1 or 2 months.

Application

1. Why do you want to become a staff writer on BeastKeeper?
  2. How long have you been writing?
  3. To your mind, what are your strengths and weeknesses as a writer?
  4. Do you have any writing experience for other browser games?
  5. Please provide one recent writing sample.

Please do not post here unless you're applying or asking a question about this position. All applications go here, please do not PM me your applications.

• Zaire
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-01 17:39:28 — Link

1. Why do you want to become a staff writer on Beastkeeper?

Fantasy is my single favorite genre, and writing something for it that others will see in a more or less public setting that's relevant to a 'world' is an awesome opporotunity. 

2. How long have you beenw writing?

Around five years now, I believe.

3. To you mind, what are your strengths and weaknesses as a writer?

My number one weakness is needed to find the perfect wording for my writing. I'll re-word things many times to find the right wording for a piece. A strength of mine is timliness with inspiration. If I've got something to go one, I can get a piece (especially one a short as 500-800 words) done in a very timely manner.

No, this would be my first chance.

Their history was great, but simple. Friends since birth and up until their untimely deaths. They grew up together in quaint little town on the outskirts of society, as they were known to do time and tiem again. Both knew how their lives would pan out over the course of time. It wasn't like it hadn't happened before. The girl would live the average-but-not-noticable life of a small town girl, smart but not too smart. She would move on from school to run the small theater. The boy always gravitated towards the sports side of school, but could never quite make it. Forced by the unknown to stay invisible, his only choice was to be average. Never who he wanted to be. 

But that would change, next time. He promised himself and his girl. They wouldn't control the two anymore, he told her. Old and frail, she was unsure of him. They'd lived these lives many times, born and reborn again and again. Over and over, an unbroken cycle. She couldn't remember a time whens he really had control. But his words gave her hope. Maybe their time finally was coming. Maybe, for once in their lifetimes, they would come once again into the world but with knowledge. Knowledge of what was done to them and how to undo it. To stop the cycle, once and for all. 

fekjnjfe

Yeah its pronounced feh-kuh-jun-juh-feh. :D

• Royalbelial
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-01 23:24:12 — Link

First, out of all things, is that I simply love to share my ideas with others. I like to be involved in creative processes and I always wanted to take part in creating a world with my ideas and words. I really enjoy thinking things trough and built up history, ethnological backgrounds, structures of societies, folk tales and so on.

1. How long have you been writing?

I started writing about 8 years ago. Mostly fanfiction, but also own stories and RPG.

1. To your mind, what are your strengths and weeknesses as a writer?

I love to get lost in details, which can be considered a strength but also a weakness. I think my biggest strength are my unconventional ideas. For example I created a tiny winged bunny breed, which is basically a fruit, since it is growing on a mythical tree. It's wings look like the ones of butterflies, bats, birds ect.

I like to think out the box. I get easily inspired and I'm doing well working with information from others and fill it with live.

One of my weaknesses is what Germans call 'Schachtelsaetze'. Literally it means box sentences. It's a sentence, broke by an accessory sentence, by an accessory sentence, by an accessory sentence and so on. A multi-clause sentence, to keep it brief. But that is more or less when I'm writing in German. But sometimes I'm using them on purpose. Which leads to the point that I am no native speaker, but I would not necessarily declare this a weakness.

1. Do you have any writing experience for other browser games?

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience.

1. Please provide one recent writing sample.

In past days this old town may have been a place of beauty and wealth, but nowadays you were only hearing mourning and complains instead of laughter and praises. It all went down, when the witch came and made herself a home in the old castle outside the walls of the town.

Occasionally she would show up, dressed in a black robe made of the skin of an unknown creature. It was shining in a unnatural manner and made the witch look like a saint, which she wasn't by any means. Although she was fair like any young and righteous maiden you could imagine.

Whenever she came the sun was hidden by clouds and all the birds around stopped singing.

One day she demanded to step on the balcony of the town hall to speak to the people. The mayor was to scared to withdraw her request so he allowed it. A cording to her word, every person who lived inside the towns walls, had to gather and listen.

And everyone came, because they feared to draw the witch's wrath upon them, if they wouldn't obey. So all stood at the market place underneath the mayor's balcony and the witch looked down on them. “Hear me out people of this town”, she said in a tone of voice which led to the conclusion that she wasn't used to speak their language, “I now that you call me a witch and it is true, that I know certain kinds of magic, that would make your blood freeze and fill your dreams with horrible nightmares. But that is not the point.” She closed her eyes for a brief moment and as she opened them again, they were glowing in a light blue color. She started singing in a foreign language and the glowing got even stronger. As she stopped a ball of light floated over the town hall, like a little sun but in the same strange blue as her eyes were glowing. “I know that your town is suffering since I came here to live in the castle of my ancestors. I have to admit that this is my fault”, she explained, “I came here to hide from a dark mage. But he has never lost my track. Thanks to a protective spell of mine he can not come near my castle nor this town. But that spell demands the luck of the protected to remain. I know it is selfish, that I did this, but I had no choice. He would have caught up with me and I had no place to go elsewhere this quick. Every time I came to town I was refreshing the spell which protects you and me.”

The crowd was whispering and discussing what it had heard from the witch. Soon some people shouted rather loudly, that the witch should go away and let them be happy again. She smiled as she heard this, it was a knowing and bitter smile, which turned into an evil grin.

“Unfortunately, I am, as I told you, a selfish and no one of you would be a match for me. That dam mage is roaming around the borders of the protected area like a fox around the chicken coop. I am tired of hiding. So I need one of you, that will be the hero of this town and get something for me, that will make me able to defeat that mage”, she spoke and looked at the crowd, as she was searching for that someone right now, “With my magic, I will transport this person to an underground labyrinth. There lies an ancient staff, hidden from the world to see, full of power. It's dangerous, but the only way that you can be happy again, besides leaving this place. As you know there where some unfortunate accidents on the streets around the town. I guess you thought of them as my unearthly deeds, but it was him. He's rather short tempered and a bloodthirsty one.”

The citizens heard the words and they filled their hearts with anger and fear. That dam witch was indeed the cause of their lack of luck and happiness and now she demanded their help! She led a bloodthirsty mage to them on top of it all! Some of them already died, because of him. A man who was only there because of her! But as she said, no one of the peaceful town people would be a match for her.

“Excuse me Miss”, said the mayor who was silent all the time, “But why don't you just go by yourself.” “Fool, If I would go, the spell would lose it's power, its bound to my residence in the castle”, she answered, “Besides, it's a place that's forbidden for my kind. I do not abide to many laws, but that one even I must not break.” “I understand”, said the mayor, “And why didn't you just protected the castle but also this town?” The witch snorted. “Don't think I would have worried about you”, she said, “I already had the staff in mind, as I came here. So if you where all dead – and there is no question that he would have killed you – who would get it for me?” She laughed hollow, as if the thought of them dead amused her.

That witch was one unpleasant person. But, it all what she said was true, the people really had no choice but to help her getting that ominous staff. But, was it true? After all she was a witch. Maybe she just wanted them to do the dirty work for her. Again the air was filled with the whispering of the people. What to do? “I gave you a lot to think about”, the witch spoke after a while, “I will go back to my castle now. Just send the hero to me. I already started to open a portal to the labyrinth. It will be fully opened by new moon.” She pointed to the glowing ball above them. It seemed it got a little bit bigger. Then she walked back into the town hall, leaving the mayor on his balcony.

As she came out of the hall, the people made way for her. “Let's hope there even is a hero among this cowards”, she muttered to herself. The portal followed her floating.

• Moonfeather
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-02 02:59:47 — Link

I'd love to become a staff writer because I simply love writing, and coming up with stories and ideas in general. I have a lot of fun with it, and usually can finish projects quickly and effectively. I know it would be an amazing experience to be able to be on the staff writing team for a site like this, and I'd love to learn and grow as a writer.

Well, I started writing my own stories when I was very little, to be specific about eight or nine years ago. I mostly wrote fictional stories that I dreamed to get published one day, though I always ended up tossing the idea, wanting something better for a plot/character/theme, etc. I also have been involved in many RPGs online and I've won some writing contests on sites similar to BeatKeeper.

3. To your mind, what are your strengths and weaknesses as a writer?

I'd say that one of my weaknesses as a writer is I'm a perfectionist, so I'll be happy with something I wrote and then reread it the next day and practically rewrite half of it. Whenever I reread my work, I always fix a word here or change a sentence there. Minor things really, but I still do it each time.

A strength I have as a writer I guess would be description and sentence flow. I love to be able to picture and feel the scene of the story around me, and I try to capture it so others will experience the same feeling as well, and I've been told that I do a good job with that. Of course, I still have plenty of room for improvement, and I'm more than willing to listen to advice.

I've made my own RPG sites (with website builders like Webs and Weebly) and created backstories and storylines for many members to go off of, though I've never had any experience with a more professional site such as BeastKeeper. This would be my first chance to be able to gain writing experience from a browser game.

A chilling wind pierced through the young girl as she attempted to wrap her cloak tighter around herself. She couldn't make out a single sound apart from the moaning of the trees' limbs, protesting the strong breeze. She looked up at them; their shadowy silhouettes were outlined by the moon's silver beams, pouring through their gaps. One of the shadows moved suddenly as a raven took flight, and the sound startled the girl, making her quickly draw her small dagger. Her white-knuckle grip on the small weapon loosened slightly as she let out a small breath, a faint cloud visible in this freezing night.

She sheathed her dagger and continued on. She rubbed her arms in an attempt to warm them as she pressed on. She frowned as she heard and owl somewhere. She wished this would be over soon. She wished her older brothers had come with her. Why had she agreed to that stupid dare in the first place? She paused suddenly as she saw movement out of the corner of her eye. She turned slightly, feeling like she was breathing too loudly. It was too dark to make out anything, and she squinted her eyes. A flash of light caught her attention and she felt the blood drain from her face. Eyes.

She stared at the eyes from where she stood. They were too low to the ground to be human, and she suddenly remembered her parents' warnings. "Never go into the forest at night." they had told her, "There are many packs of wolves who fight for food all the time. If they get hungry enough, they may mistake you as a meal." they had said seriously, then began joking with her of how she'd make an adorable woodland creature. A smile flickered on her face as she held on tightly to the memory, trying not to panic.

She took one step in the direction she had come, and then another. Her eyes stayed trained on those of the creature in the dark. Its gaze followed her slow movements. She felt a lump in her throat and sweat began to form on her brow. She couldn't take it slow. She wanted to go home. She didn't want to do this stupid dare anymore. She burst off into a run as she headed back down the path towards her home, and she was fully aware of the beating of paws on the ground behind her. 

She ran as fast as her legs would take her, and she had to jump over large branches that cut at her legs and arms. She risked a glance behind her and saw the dark form of the creature, so very close. Her glance had been a horrible mistake as her foot caught on a branch, sending her tumbling. She quickly sat up and the wolf  ran at her. She was panting, grasping at her dagger as she backed up quickly until her spine hit a tree. She held the dagger out in front of her shakily when the wolf stopped, and snarled, baring its teeth and pinning its ears back. The girl was trying to slow her breathing down as her hands shook. But the wolf's gaze wasn't looking at her, it was looking over her shouler, behind the tree she was backed against. 

A second wolf appeared startlingly close to her, and padded towards her persuer. They snarled and snapped at each other before getting tangled in a fight of teeth and claws. The girl stared wide-eyed at the unbelievable scene before her. "Are they... fighting over who gets to kill me?" she asked herself in disbelief, still shaking from the situation. Suddenly, she realized what an amazing chance this was. She stood and began to back away from the fight slowly. One of the creatures spotted her however, and it pulled away from its fight and ran at her. The second charged and regained its attention as they continued their feud. The girl's hand was numb from holding her dagger so tight, and she ran again, shaking.

She'd never been more thankful to hug her older brothers.

• Ferre
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-04 03:25:21 — Link

I have always adored the concept of worldbuilding and expansion of fantasy universes. More or less, the idea of creating a new facet of the world, or expanding and deepening the history of an existing one, adding logical depth and detail is truly inspiring and exciting in my opinion. Becoming a staff writer would be an absolutely wonderful experience, would allow for more experience in writing for an already created world and hopefully expand the limits of my skill.

I've been writing for quite a few years. I began quite early so the total is more like seven to eight years, although, it was in the last three or so years that I began to write seriously and with far more concentrated effort.

Personally, I believe that I have a wide ranging ability to write in detail and with complex plot and progression. My strength in writing lies in the description, the entire 'flavour of the story' creation, atmosphere and envisioning of the setting and the events that occur within it. Writing fantasy is relatively simple in this manner.

I do find myself with convolutions in the writing process occasionally. It more or less occurs when I work out the beginning, end and results of the story but then find it difficult to work out exactly what occurs in the middle. The middle portion then can become overly complex, twisted and lengthy.

Unfortunately not. This would be the initial venture into such.

(Everything has its own meaning. Symbolism runs rampant, especially through the first paragraph.)

- - -

The house is quiet, rustling with the small steps of small creatures, creaking softly with the accumulated dust of years.

Nests adorn its uppermost eaves, bearing owls and rooks, ever watchful for the multitudes of lizards and spiders hidden in the cracks of wood. Lairs of foxes and badgers lie shadowed in corners and the occasional flicker of bat wings are visible in the dusty reaches of the ceiling.

The encroaching wood has partly taken over the house, enfolding it within its embrace. Aspen, fir and white poplar stretch their branches over the roof, entwining their leafy fingers overhead. Sweet William and basil turn their head to the sun, luxuriating in its gaze as nightshade and foxglove slowly emerge from the shadows.

Blackthorn, elder and yew compose the rest of the wood’s reaches with abundant flourishes of cattail and nettle. A few ash and rowan trees are interspersed among the other trees loosely draped with mistletoe and hemlock leaves.

----------------------

The house is quiet, rustling with the wind-blown leaves, creaking silently with old memories still brooding and restless.

The doors open in the creaking manner she has known so well. The familiar groan and squeal of the hinges heralds the first human step the house has known for many years. That step, she places in the very centre of the first floorboard, the board that splintered when she was a child.

Her father replaced the board with a solid plank of oak. “Don’t worry. It’ll never break again. Trust me.” She believed his words with all her heart.

The worn ceiling of the old house is covered by a blanket of climbing vines and crumbled brick. It groans alarmingly ever so often, although she does not look up. There is no fear here, deep within her own home. Her light steps take her past the old door that led to her room.

“Father, I’m scared! The monsters will come and get me!”

“Don’t worry my dear. I will always be here for you. At any time you need me.”

She shakes her head, smiles and continues walking on. She had trusted her father intimately, even when he had left her in the house for a day and a night, with no-one’s company but herself. Even then, the night after, she had hugged him closely when he returned, smelling strange and not of himself. The usual warm and comforting scent of leather, lather and the wood itself had been replaced with an odd metallic scent, the scent of rusting iron.

She turns a corner, the last corner of the great corridor and there he is, standing in his usual relaxed way, seeming not to have a care in the world. He is there, as if she had left only yesterday and this was her homecoming after a day playing in the fields.

“So, my little princess. How are you?”

“I’m well father, and you?”

“You know me. I’ll always be healthy, never a sick day in my life.”

She walks over to the desk in the study, watching him carefully, not wanting to miss a moment of his presence.

“Father. How have you been?”

“Oh, all the time, busy, busy. I’ll be seeing a good warm bed soon though. I should -"“

She blinks. Is he evaporating?

“Father? Where are your legs?”        

“Oh, all the time, busy, busy. I’ll be seeing a good warm bed soon thoug-“

“Father! Why are you leaving? Where are you going? Your body!”

“Oh, all the time, busy, bu-“

She screams then, and runs to him, runs to him as like she has never had the opportunity to run to him before, to smell that familiar, heart achingly familiar, scent again, to hold him close and to never, never, let go. But he drifts between her clutching fingers like smoke on a blustery day and vanishes.

She realises then, she is alone.

----------------------

The house is quiet, rustling with mute sound, creaking still with the weight of long gone years that lie still and silent in opaque tears.

• abcde
  • User

Posted at 2014-04-02 07:34:40 — Link

Hi, was wondering if this is still open?  I see it's the 2 month mark, so perhaps not, but wanted to just check.  Thanks

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-04-02 20:08:08 — Link

No, it's still open. We found a writer outside BeastKeeper to make the descriptions of current pets but we're still looking for a staff writer for everything else.

• Saphir
  • User

Posted at 2014-04-06 15:03:42 — Link

Just a question before I might possibly send in an application (though I guess I should stay longer before posting an app), were the other applications reviewed over and they didn't get the position or something? It seems like this thread has been ignored for a while so I'm kind of curious.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-04-06 16:03:41 — Link

Saphir, please check the post right before yours.

• abcde
  • User

Posted at 2014-04-16 04:40:42 — Link

Besides having a deep and age old appreciation of fantasy/sci fi writing, I’m an incredible fan of Beastkeeper.  This game is a perfect blend of fun, science, beautiful art and animals, and storylines.  I would be very grateful, as well as excited, to be involved in its growth and epic progression as new environments and pets and creatures are created. 

Written on and off for over 10 years.  Had poetry published, have written and ghosted various characters and scenarios for other games and sim settings but for the past year am working on making things “more official”.

I often compose various events or character storylines simultaneously, and sometimes do not or are not meant to go together.  I suppose this would be storyline multi-tasking and would consider this both a strength and weakness.   So basically I have on average 5-15 stories sitting in my head at any one time.  But will usually focus on 1 “event” creation editing and editing until I’m satisfied with the outcome before moving onto the next one.

See #2 above.

Writing sample as follows.  It is cut into two parts for the sake of space.  Enjoy. J

A hail of fire tormented the landscape as embers drifted in every direction causing new fires to sprout wherever they landed.  Ki gripped tightly onto his gryphon as it reared up when a nearby ember burst into flame and heat.  Ki, a scout of nearly ten years, no longer recognized the landscape that befell his eyes.  What had once been a dense forest of multi-hued trees carpeted by thick groundcover in shades of orange and green was now lit ablaze by a firestorm he had never encountered before. Even Ki’s gryphon, Xander, made it clear he wanted to run to safe ground…but where was safe ground?

Whoa, steady Xander, steady.”  Ki attempted to reassure his pet but his voice was deadened by the forest creatures shrieking and running in all direction. 

Though intent on control, Ki’s own hands trembled as he struggled to maintain his grip on Xander.  Ki’s eyes darted to and fro. Luckily glimpsing a cave in the far off distance, the cave remained shielded from view by native flowering grove trees that appeared for the moment untouched by the fire.  Ki hastily re-directed Xander.

There, Xander, over there, into the cave!”  And off went Xander at as fast a speed as possible.  As they reached closer to the cave, Ki’s scouting instincts alerted him to alien plants springing from the ground.  But with the fire closing in, or so it seemed, there was no time to investigate the strange growth.

******************** AFTER THE FIRESTORM ********************

The group gathered around the stone disc was noisy and restless.  They consisted of the colony’s highest level council members, intellectual elites, and foremost researchers.   Some walked non-stop on or around the disk quietly murmuring to themselves.  Others stood still lost in a trance staring at the hieroglyphs finely etched in the center of the stone, moving only to stroke their beard or some garment piece.  Still others talked amongst themselves sometimes nodding in agreement with each other or shaking their heads fervently to disagree.  All however had some mixed look of fear OR concern on their faces.

Those gathered had every reason for worry.  The firestorm from a few days past ended as suddenly as it began but had devastatingly scorched a majority of the colony’s territory previously occupied with dense forest and green pastures.  As soon as the hail of fire ended, grumblings began to emanate from deep within the earth.  It was when nature’s fury finally subsided that the strange stone disc made its appearance in the widest portion of their greenest pasture. 

The pasture, previously dotted by native purple, blue, and yellow flowering flora, was now ash gray from the storm’s burning.  In this pasture now lay a strange stone disc which had never existed here nor in any other place known to any of the colonists.  The disc was gray and had a smooth surface that glistened in the sun.  Carved into its center a ring of 15 hieroglyphs that pulsated rhythmically in a shade of red that deepened during the course of night and lightened as night turned into day.  This cycle had been non-stop since the disc’s discovery.

Castor, the eldest of the leaders, cleared his throat and raised his arms – a gesture which caused all conversation to cease as all attention was placed onto him. 

Castor began, “ Let us convene….. “ but no sooner had Castor begun speaking when a screech was sounded and massive wings flown too close overhead caused all to fall and hug the ground.  A tall muscular man, whose dress identified him as the leader of the crimson guards, hurriedly dismounted the dragon.  Even in his hurried gait the guard conscientiously cradled a parcel wrapped in black fabric.

Castor! the man spoke loudly finally reaching the stone disc,

Excuse the rude interruption but it is imperative you and all gathered see what is hidden within this fabric! It was found by an explorer when the firestorm began and he claims there are dozens more.”

The man held up the parcel high for all to see.  As he did so the parcel, on its own, rose higher and higher and as it did so the black fabric slowly fell away. At 6 feet high in the air it remained floating but stopped rising. As the parcel was slowly revealed in its entirety all who witnessed it gasped in horror. 

The “parcel” was a watery looking semi-transparent bubble that mirrored the movement of the creature within it with a prism like effect. Encased within the dynamic bubble was an eel-like creature with thick scale, four short arms, a massive tail in proportion to its head, and numerous feathery tentacles that protruded from a pair of feathery lips. The alien creature swayed as if dancing it were dancing in a watery environment and stopped only to produce in its mouth a tiny black bubble which it extricated with its long, feathery tentacles,.  It then deftly pushed the black bubble outside its own watery encasement.  Upon landing the black bubble instantly transformed into an exotic but tiny alien plant of 5 spear-like black petals edged with green thorns, a furry stem, and no leaves.  Afterward the creature returned to its watery dance.

Castor watched with deep interest.  With a frown growing on his face directed the guard to find the explorer that had discovered this strange creature for further questioning.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-04-18 12:26:14 — Link

Thanks to all players for applying! I'm closing this thread as we have chosen a staff writer now :)

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla