Boards < General < General Chat < How do you think of our creatures?

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-27 10:14:02 — Link

Like, if they were real, how do you imagine they are? Just for fun, obviously, but that's why we play these games, for fun (and out of boredom to kill time, but it helps when they are fun.)

I had the base I used when I did size-charts for Exhibited-Sim (dinosaur breeding) and thought I would do a quick one based on European mythology and my own feelings.

If this site has "lore" that is considered cannon, this isn't it. XD

Just because. You don't have to agree with it obviously, you can imagine these imaginary creatures are however large or small you want. Like I said, mine are mainly based on the source myths and my own opinions.

But rather than post my own ideas of what I think the different species are like, beyond scale anyway, I would like to hear what you think.

• Lumiesque
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-27 16:36:54 — Link

Although it is largely dependant on the species, your dragon silhouette looks to be eastern, so I'll go by that. It looks about accurate in my eyes, maybe a little bit larger than I assume.

Your roc looks right in my eyes.

The gryphon depends, again, on the species. That size looks like classic eagle and lion.
The unicorn to me looks too small. I have always thought they'd be around 19 hands.

The cockatrice looks perfect.

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-27 16:54:40 — Link

... I am now officially terrified of Rocs.

* Winter is coming *

• Seasonal
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-27 23:36:09 — Link

The Roc... just... I don't even. I didn't even know what a Roc was until I started playing this. I suddenly respect mine so much more. |D

• lililira
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-28 00:37:24 — Link

Makes you wonder how pet tamers even manage to catch Rocs and Dragons. And, for that matter, why they do it for so cheap.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-02-28 05:41:07 — Link

A bit bigger gryphon, and maybe a tad on the unicorn. Other than that it's how I see them. Love the roc by the way. :D

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Kayana
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-28 08:47:51 — Link

I'd agree the unicorn could be taller. Assuming average male human height.. that unicorn would be about 13 hands.. so sort of like a Sec B Welsh pony. ;)

I'd say 16h to 17h would be reasonable if you consider Unicorns to be light horses like TB build (withers at roughly shoulder height to the man). 19 is pretty ridiculously huge and lightly built horse types don't really get that big.. just big, heavy boned ones like drafts. There's a reason none of the World's Tallest Horses have ever been Arabians or Thoroughbreds or Akhal-Tekes. ;) They're all Belgians, Shires, Percherons, etc. Of course, unicorns are fantasy creatures but I've never seen a picture of one where they towered over men or had tree trunk thick legs and dinner plate sized feet. ;)

That's an awesome chart.

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-28 09:43:52 — Link

Actually I agree, I made the unicorn too small.

They are large enough to be ridden by a human but not massive in my mind. Lightly built compared to a horse but strong. I think Kayana is right, that sounds like a good height.

Also, on the gryphon, I did use a stereotypical eagle-lion for the image since I think of that as a typical gryphon. I'll be honest though, the gryphon here reminds me of smaller birds with it's beak-shape, large eyes, and rounded wings. If I were doing it based on that I would even say it could be half the size of the one I used on the chart but that isn't an "average" size for one in mythology.

For the dragon, I imagine like many reptiles they grow slowly their entire lives and that depends on how good they are at keeping fed. So as adults they could be anywhere from 1/3 to double that size. (Since I tend to think of them like Tolkien dragons that live forever basically.)

• Raifra
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-28 09:52:43 — Link

@Seasonal, I agreed with you.

I sort of know that they are a giant mythical raptor when I decided to search it up, but I did not bother to check the size.

I thought giant for a raptor would be much smaller...to think that they are THAT big...................

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-28 10:13:34 — Link

Well, the myth does say they carry off elephants. And sometimes ships. (Seriously, how do we tame them? >_>;)

Technically that's impossible but this is fantasy and that looked a good size to me for something that could do that without being entirely insane.

So yeah, they are pretty big.

• hicaniplay
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-01 04:41:53 — Link

Probably not the place, but what is a "Puma" anyways? 

I thought it was just another name for cougar, but there's obviously something mythological... ?

If you play Aywas and would accept BP in return for pets/silver/items, message me! :D

• LiaEvalle
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-01 04:57:32 — Link

in my mind Roc is about the size of your cockatrice and cockatrice is a about twice bigger than gryphon.

and unicorn and gryphon about 1.5 bigger than on your pic

• Ankokou
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-01 05:07:03 — Link

Honestly? I have no idea.

The only myths I can find relating to pumas are as native American spirit animals. I wonder if anyone else knows?

As far as I can tell it was just to give us a feline species. Boring choice though, why not a manticore, chimera, barong, cat sith, shishi, nemean lion, sphinx, or even the greek idea of a panther. I think it could be forgiven if the manticore and sphinx were given cat-like faces instead of human ones.

• Kolibri
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-01 05:42:18 — Link

It took me forever to realize that the gray on the Roc was the Dragon's tail. It looks like a squid arm to me and I don't know why. The Roc and Dragon I agree with. I imagine Unicorns and Gryphons being rough similar in size with the Gryphon a bit on the larger side. As for the Cockatrice, I was amused. I imagined it bigger but I don't know much on the lore of Cockatrice's. Instead, we have this roughly large dog sized reptile with feathers. Your scale comparison is very nice and I think I'll be using it as a reference here on BeastKeepers. Good job.

"You know what the issue is with this world? Everyone wants a magical solution for their problem, and everyone refuses to believe in magic."

- Jefferson/The Mad Hatter, Once Upon a Time

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-01 06:10:42 — Link

Maybe Pumas like in South America.... like the Incas...

the Greeks also have myths about panthers/pumas.

Native Americans

African cultures

I think in this game that Puma tends to just mean large cat as an encompassing the cats of mythology.

I picture the cockatrice as a little thing that is all over the place.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla