Boards < General < Player Guides < Newbie's Guide for Getting Started

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

• Bunne
  • User

Posted at 2014-11-20 16:55:53 — Link

[Updated: 2/19/18]

I recently joined this site and had many questions on what to do and how. I'm putting together this guide as I go along with information I found useful as a newbie. I'm looking to put all the info in one place, so you don't have to do as much site searching as I did. :)

Ok, so you joined and did the tutorial. Now what? Here's what I did:

1. Collect pets, modify their diets
2. Explore, Battle, and Quests
3. Craft Buildings
4. Breeding Pets (eventually) and other fun things

Why did I do things in this order? To craft items or buildings, you need materials and a pet with certain Characteristics/stats. To get materials and pet stats, you need to Explore and/or Battle.To explore and battle, you need pets!

Some Basics:

Inventory:
You start with 30 inventory slots. This means you can only have 30 different items taking up a slot. You can have 999 of each item, but you only have 30 item slots. Here are my tips on keeping your item count low until you can expand your inventory:

• "Use" any schemes and blueprints you have. This will free up a slot and you can craft things with these later. You can only use one of each blueprint and golem scheme though, as once it "used" on your account, it stays on your crafting page. You will also see an error page if you try to use a duplicate. For item schemes, you can use it up to 6 times to reduce the crafting cost (in silver, does not affect materials needed).
  • "Destroy" any common schemes/blueprints that are duplicates or that you don't think you will use. There are some uncommon schemes/blueprints that would be worth selling, such as ones from events that are used to get special pets.
  • You can try to sell extra schemes/blueprints in the Trading > Items trades. However, unless you price it low and have a short auction (short time limit or small buyout), you might have the item for a while. Items in auction STILL count towards your inventory. So if you are in a hurry to open up slots, this is not a good option.
  • You can give away or sell items in the forums. Again, this may be slow to free up inventory slots.

Pet Status:
Under your pet's name and level #, you will see your pet's status. There are many of them, but here are the ones you will most likely see first:

• Active: your pet is ready for action!
  • On Quest: your pet is on a quest and cannot do anything else.
  • Crafting: your pet is crafting something, and cannot do anything else.
  • Exploring Island: your pet is on an island exploring. If you accidentally change pets while exploring, you CAN go back without losing your place.
  • Pregnant: your pet is "with baby" and is unable to do anything until the baby is born.
  • Being Tamed: you will see this on wild pets for 3 days after you caught them. They are unavailable to do anything until they are tamed (timer runs out).

Basically, anything other than "Active" will make your pet unavailable for explore/battle/quest. Each event has a different timer, so check the "Effects" box on the lower right corner of the pet's page to see how much time is left.

Step 1: Collecting Pets and modifying their diets

After your tutorial, you should already have a couple pets, one of them pregnant. You will need more pets to get the most out of exploring every day. Here's where I get my pets:

• Pets > Pound.
    You can adopt one pet each day for free. The "day" starts over at 00:00 game time (clock found on the top right corner).
  • Community > Forums > Contests and Giveaways.
    These are user run giveaways. Just be sure to check when the thread was created, as some threads are old and the users aren't active anymore.
  • Community > Forums > Pet Sales.
    Sometimes, users give pets away for free in this forum topic as well.
  • Trading > Pet Trades
    I don't recommend this to start, as newbies are low on silver coins, and there are free pets available. However, if you find a cheap pet (100-500 silver), you may want to snag one. Just pay attention to the auction end dates, as they can last for 1 month! Unless there is a buyout option, which will end the auction if you pay the buyout price and check the "buyout" box.
  • Pets > Capture Wild Pet
    In the tutorial, you were briefly walked through the wild pet section. It can be expensive, and you are basically guessing that you will find a certain pet in a certain spot. I don't recommend this option until you are further along in the game. For an in-depth guide, click here.

I recommend collecting around 10 free pets total over a couple days. Each pet eats 18 pounds of food automatically once a day. Food is easy to collect in explore, but if you don't have enough food, 1 silver coin = 1 pound of food. Go read Help > FAQ > Pet Care Questions for more info. You don't want too many pets to start, as feeding them might be hard, but you want enough to explore as many locations as possible.

Now that you are collecting pets, it would be wise to change their diets. It is better to change their diet sooner than later, because each time you level up, your stats increase as well. To complete Quests, and craft buildings and items, you need pets that have certain stats/characteristics. Each stat is influenced by the pet's diet, and each star in the "Diet Composition" section represents 1 pound of food. You must use 18 stars total across 6 different food types. For a great in-depth description on food and diet, click here and read the "Feeding Pets" section. As a quick reference, here are what foods affect which characteristic:

• Animal Fats = Strength
  • Plant Proteins = Agility
  • Animal Proteins = Courage
  • Animal Carbs = Intelligence
  • Plant Fats = Constitution
  • Plant Carbs = Intuition

You can see that the Diet Composition list matches up exactly with the Characteristic list (as in feed row 3 food --> affects row 3 characteristic).

Here's how to change a pet's diet:

• Go to one of your pet's page. Pets > My Pets > Click on a pet
  • Review your pet's current stats. Focus on "good stats", which are any green numbers and high black numbers. Avoid any red numbers, as those are weaknesses.
  • Pick 3 good stats, then change the diet accordingly. The 3 good stats get 5 stars each, the other 3 stats get 1 star each. Click "Save".

As you get further in the game, you may find your own way of changing diets. To start, it will be helpful to have pets with certain 3 good stat combos. I would have one pet of each of these:

• Agility, Intelligence, Strength: 5 stars each
    Allows crafting of lots of items and some buildings
  • Constitution, Intelligence, Strength: 5 stars each
    Needed for crafting Warehouse, Stable, Townhall, and other building levels, few items
  • Intuition, Intelligence, Strength: 5 stars each
    Needed for crafting State Portal Service Branch, some items

Step 2: Explore, Battle, and Quests

Quests:
You can earn silver coins or items by completing quests. Each day, you will get 5 new quests (sometimes more for event specific quests). If you have a pet that meets the requirements, you can select it from the drop down menu. If you don't see a drop down menu, you don't have a pet that qualifies for the quest. I also created a quide to help decode quests, click here to see it.

• The selected pet must have 5 Energy to start the quest. After the quest is complete, your pet will have 0 energy. 
  • Once your submit your pet for a quest, it cannot be cancelled and your pet will be unavailable for 4 hours.

Explore:
This is where you will gain many materials, food, silver coin, and experience (XP). Explore, explore, explore! This is the most important thing you can do to get started and build your account. Here's how its done:

• Select a pet by clicking on it's page. Your pet will need 5 Energy to enter Explore.
  • You start with 20 available locations. Every hour, one location will be added until it reaches the max of 20. For more info, go to Help > FAQ > General Gameplay Questions > Question 2.
  • Select a Biotope by clicking on a region, which will turn the button colored, instead of grayscale. Then click on the swirly blue inside the stone gate/portal. (If you don't see blue swirls, your pet doesn't have the energy to enter the portal, or there are no locations available).
  • Once on the Island, you will travel around collecting things and battling monsters. You did this in the tutorial, so it should be somewhat familiar. Make sure to explore every corner so you don't miss anything!
  • If you battle and lose, you lose 1 energy point. If you win, you get XP. You can check the level of the monster by hovering over it with your mouse. I recommend uncovering all the island possible before battling monsters higher level than your pet. If you battle with no energy and lose, you are kicked off the island. That means you can't collect anything else.
  • I have my pets in Auto Battling mode. I seem to have better luck with Auto and its easier for me while I'm still figuring things out. If you keep losing to a certain monster, you can try switching to Manual mode and battling again.
  • Bandages: these items are crafted using a Scheme (see next section). If you lose a point battling a monster, you can use a bandage to regain 1 point per island. For more info, click here.
  • There are different types of buildings on the islands. The best are the Energy Fountain (gives you 5 energy), Experience Building (gives you XP), and Genetic Research Building (researches a gene for free). The Building Guide can be found by clicking here. If you come across a "Beast Temple", and it asks if you want to fight the boss, make sure you collect everything before you fight them. You will most likely lose and be booted off the island immediately. You can always say no, and come back right before you leave.

Battle Arena:
I don't recommend using the Battle Arena until you have more pets than you have island portals. What I mean is: if you have pets that still have energy when you have zero island portals left, then you can/should visit the Arena. It is hit or miss as far as being good for leveling your pets. The pets in the Arena belong to other users who put their pets in Automatic Battling mode. There are times when there are only a couple pets with high stats/GP that are really hard to beat. Other times, you can find a couple pets you might beat with your pets. 

• Each battle cost 1 energy, whether you win or lose. (Unless your pet is a Gladiator, in which it has a special energy bar that allows 10 losses without taking energy).
  • If you win the battle, you get XP. If you lose, you get nothing.
  • Try to pick battles with pets lower level than you.

For more info on Arena Battles, click here.

Step 3: Craft Buildings and Items

All items and buildings follow a "recipe", in which certain materials, silver coin, and pet stats are needed. Go to Help > List of Recipes to see the list. When a pet is crafting, it is unable to do anything else for 4 hours

Items are crafted with Schemes. Here are the steps to crafting an item, a Carpet for example:

• Obtain a "Scheme: Carpet".
  • Go to your Inventory > Warehouse > Recipes, find the scheme, and click on it.
  • Select "Use", then click "Go".
  • Click on Manor > Craft & Construction > Items, then find the item and click it.
  • Once you have all the things you need, select a pet from the dropdown menu to craft it and click "Create".  The chosen pet needs to have full energy (10) and will be busy for 4 hours, so it cannot do anything else while crafting.
  • The item automatically pops into your inventory after the time is up, and the scheme is again available for more crafting.
  • NOTE: You can select to create more than 1 item, but each item you create will take 4 hours. So if you create 10 x Portal Energy Cells at once, it will take 40 hours to complete (and you won't get any of them until the time is up).

Golems are a type of Scheme that multiply the amount of materials you put into it. For example, a "Scheme: Shell Golem":

• Go to your Inventory, and "Use" the golem.
  • Go to Manor > Craft & Construction > Golem. Find the golem and click on it to see the recipe. "Create" if/when you are ready .
  • Any created Golems can be seen at Inventory > Golems. Once you have created the Golem, you don't need to do anything else. Over the next 10 days, the golem will add items to your inventory. For the Shell Golem, I put in 25 shells, and will get 50 shells back (5 shells per day for 10 days). The numbers change for different items, so read the recipes. 
  • After the 10 days are over, you can create another Golem using the same Scheme. You can only have 1 golem of each different material.

To craft a building, you need a blueprint. Some buildings are only crafted once, while others have up to 5 "levels". These buildings start at level 1, and with each crafting they move up another level. This is similar to how your pet levels up with experience; your Building levels up with crafting. You MUST craft levels in order, starting at level 1, and you will need a different blueprint for each level.

I believe the most important building to start with is Warehouse level 2. You will need more space for all those items you are collecting in explore! For a good guide on Building crafting, click here. Here is the "recipe" for the Warehouse lvl 2:

Bill of Materials
Clay 100
Stone 100
Wood 100
Warehouse (lvl 1) 1
Coins 5000

List of Requirements
Constitution 60
Description

A small warehouse with room for 50 items.

So you need 100 each of clay, stone, and wood, 5000 silver coin, and a pet with 60 Constitution. A great place to collect all these items are the Grasslands, Savannah, or Jungle (the Desert doesn't have wood). For a guide on where to find certain materials, click here. Once you have all the materials you need:

• Go to your Inventory, and "Use" the blueprint.
  • Go to Manor > Craft & Construction > Buildings. find the item and click it. Once you have all the things you need, select a pet from the dropdown menu to craft it and click "Create".
  • Your building will be complete in 4 hours: you don't need to do anything else. The blueprint will disappear from your craft list, since you can only build it once.

Step 4: Breeding, Battlefield and other things
I haven't gotten this far in the game yet. Just realize that pets have a breeding limit, so don't go too crazy until you get the hang of the game. :)

Also, if you have a pet with great stats, you may want to think before breeding it. You've seen those pets with the green stars? They have Genetic Power, which you can only get by leveling your pets to level 50 BEFORE you breed them. Having said that, you don't want to level every pet to 50, as you can buy many GP pets in auctions or find some in the pound. In other words, it might not be worth the work/wait of leveling every pet. There is also an option to breed with other user's pets to gain GP. I won't go into more detail in this guide, as I don't want to overload you with information. 

Alrighty, that's all for now! I will most likely update this with things I think of along the way. It took me a few hours to write this, so I need a quick break. Veteran players, please let me know if something is incorrect!

• Bunne
  • User

Posted at 2014-11-20 16:56:30 — Link

Reserving, just in case

• Karebear
  • User

Posted at 2014-11-20 23:08:30 — Link

Really helpful, thank you so much for posting Bunne! Shall definitely keep referring back to this while I'm trying to get a hang of the game over the next few days!

Bear :3

• Bunne
  • User

Posted at 2014-11-21 08:37:07 — Link

Yay! I'm glad it was helpful! :D I've only been playing a couple days as well lol.

• Argy717
  • User

Posted at 2015-02-13 07:02:32 — Link

Thanks, you really cleared some things up :)

~Stars are only visible in Darkness~

• SilverBeast
  • User

Posted at 2015-02-28 08:21:31 — Link

This is very helpful especially the part about what building to try and make first (lvl 2 warehouse) becuase tht was one of my number one questions.  Thank you.

• Punkett
  • User

Posted at 2015-04-17 04:08:21 — Link

If my pet has a " *" Next to its color...what does that mean?

• Funky-Stuff!
  • User

Posted at 2015-04-17 15:37:19 — Link

That means it's a deviant, which means its parents have the same color/pattern genes, and their baby successfully mutated into a rare and different color.

• ArienDorzana
  • User

Posted at 2017-02-07 05:57:33 — Link

I'm confused here. Where does it show the stars for the stats such as Intelligence, Agility, and Intuition? I only see stars for food and attacks. 

• Maladroit
  • User

Posted at 2017-10-19 03:47:53 — Link

Thank you for setting up this guide! Definitely bookmarking it ^^

Running from the responsibilty popo.

• Angel4100
  • User

Posted at 2018-01-08 20:05:30 — Link

thx for the guid

• Lekara
  • User

Posted at 2018-01-13 03:23:44 — Link

Thank you - a great starting point!

• CalicoOaks
  • User

Posted at 2019-11-25 18:56:07 — Link

Another excellent guide.     I shall refer back to it frequently

Off Track Thoroughbreds are my Passion

• Swittale
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-17 17:13:59 — Link

thanks a lot! this was very helpful to me

• ellaxiao1
  • User

Posted at 2021-10-04 15:56:36 — Link

ArienDorzana (#57133) wrote:

I'm confused here. Where does it show the stars for the stats such as Intelligence, Agility, and Intuition? I only see stars for food and attacks. 

The food affects the stats such as intelligence agility and intuition. You change the stars on the food and it affects your pet's stats

WinterXIAO

« Prev | 1 2 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla