Boards < General < General Chat < Battle Cockatrice Genetic Strategies...

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• mosaic
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-20 01:38:59 — Link

I'm wondering if I can get some feedback on my genetics planning for battle cockatrices. When I set up my uni project it was very clear which gene combos I wanted (Graceful+Fragrance+Counterstrike+Regen+Magic horn...). Dodgy little buggers. But when it comes to cockatrices, the best combination is less clear...

Current Ideas

To start, petrifying gaze and regeneration don't preclude any gene combos I want, so let's assume they are included in all builds.

Build 1: Dodging/Acid

Acid Gland + Spitting Muscle > Acid Strike when Biting

Quickmind+Agile Paws+Stench > Counterstrike with Dodge chance of 75%

Build 2: Poison/Acid

Acid gland+Spitting Muscle > Acid Strike when Biting

Poisonous claws+venemous skin > Poison Strike, 70% when Blowing or Rushing

Unfortunately the counterstrike combo can't be optimally combined with the poison combo, because venemous skin takes the place of stench and I very much prefer counterstrike to be accompanied with a dodge chance.

My question, for you pro cockatrice breeders out there, is which strategy do you prefer? Is Poison Strike better than dodge chance? Does a cockatrice with counterstrike+stench hold up against a unicorn with counterstrike/fragrance/gracefulness? Is there some combination I'm neglecting?

Thanks for any comments/thoughts!

Edit: Just to clarify, Poisonous claws+Venemous skin don't need to be combined for Poison Strike to occur, Claws just contribute 50% chance and Skin contributes 20% following the enemy attack. Hence the 70% total chance.

*~*Combat Unicorns*~*Deviant Rocs*~*Silver&Gold Cockatrices*~*

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-23 04:57:12 — Link

I'm not a major breeder/battler but here's a third build that might work:

Poison/Defence

Poisonous teeth/claws

Steel bones/muscles

Regeneration+Thick skin

Quickmind

Petrifying gaze

Maximise stats for strength, constitution and intelligence

This build is not as immediately damaging as the acid ones but the regen+thick skin combo should give the poison plenty of time for extra damage. Additionally elemental resistance can't negate poison.

Breeder of trash deviants

• mosaic
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-23 06:17:47 — Link

Thanks Lytala! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I have always thought of poison strike as an early victory strategy, and as a result have not given thought to sustainability. Strength/con genes are just what the build needs to make it less squishy.

I am also leaning away from a dodge strategy just because it'll always be playing catchup to the unicorn build.

I think I'll go for all three poison genes and the steel bone/muscles, with petrifying gaze and regeneration. If it's not tanky enough I'll bring in the thick skin, which given the respective gene powers should be easy.

*~*Combat Unicorns*~*Deviant Rocs*~*Silver&Gold Cockatrices*~*

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-23 15:09:58 — Link

You're welcome.

I didn't mention this in the first post, but I chose thick skin over venomous because I've always thought of regeneration+thick skin as an unofficial gene combo because the two complement each other so well.

Another reason that poison/defence should work well together is that unlike most other attacks the amount of poison damage doesn't appear to be dependant on stats other than opponents' hitpoints.

Breeder of trash deviants

• Zaltys
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-23 15:23:28 — Link

Yep. Petrifying gaze + Regeneration + Thick skin is an excellent combo.
Thick skin ensures that the pet has a lot of hp, and petrifying gaze gives more time to regenerate. Combine that with steel bones for defense, and it's almost unbeatable. 

I'd argue that cockatrice are the best arena pets. One of my GP0 cockatrices can beat most GP3 unicorns, and that's without Thick Skin..

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla