Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Suggestions < A couple things in this thread-

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Vyrr
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-23 20:35:03 — Link

Hello there world of Beast Keeper! I'm a newer member, just joined... maybe an hour or so ago? The pet art is really nice and some of the default colors are just gorgeous. I really like the explore setup/idea and well, a lot of the other things I've seen make me feel like the site could be really fun (though I don't know a whole lot about them yet since I only finished the tutorial not long ago), but I do have a feeeww suggestions xD

First, and for now this is the most important to me, I'd like to suggest that you can choose what your pet looks like at the beginning of the game. Or if you guys kind of want all of the color variations to be a surprise, at least giving the player the creature they saw when choosing a pet would be really awesome. For example: My favorite breeds here are the gryphons and unicorns, and I don't remember which gryphon I saw when I was choosing my pet, but the unicorn displayed was this pretty brown one. I really loved the way it looked (the dark mane and light horn/hooves won me over <3) so I eventually picked it over the gryphon -- however, once I got to actually see my pet's profile, she turned into this. I don't think white unicorns are necessarily ugly or undesirable, but it wasn't what I was expecting to see at all and I have to be honest, I'm very disappointed that I now have a typical white unicorn instead of the brown one I fell in love with. After going through all the gryphon colors, I would have picked any of them over the white unicorn xD;

Another thing I'd like to suggest is letting players go to other pages during the tutorial, or even give them an option to skip less important parts of the tutorial (ideally to be viewed at a later time, if they want to). Tutorials that force you to complete them before being able to do anything else always kind of put me off of sites, though especially if they're long ones. This tutorial wasn't actually as long as some others I've tried to sit through and admittedly, it was helpful in explaining how some aspects of the game work, but when signing up I was much more interested in checking out the forums and looking at other pretty creatures than learning about genetics and battling right away. They are really good things to know, I just would have rather read about them in my own time ^ ^;

I also think it would be really helpful if the tutorial was changed enough to let you pass the first battle even if you lose. I can't even tell you how many times I had to repeat the battle because I kept losing only because of bad luck, I just wanted it to be over with after the first few times @_@

And a less "important" suggestion, but if we could decide whether or not to keep the creatures (or even breed the creatures) we battled against in the tutorial, that would be nice too. I'm not really fond of the pumas, and though I think the female I got out of it is kinda pretty, I don't like how the male looks and I didn't really want to breed her to him D: especially if she might only have so many breedings left in her. I actually don't feel like the breeding part of the tutorial is entirely necessary, it's a pretty straight forward system and not too difficult to figure out. Instead, maybe a quick text 'guide' could be put in the FAQ so players don't need to breed creatures if they don't want to?

That's all I have for right now, I hope it doesn't sound too much like I'm just complaining. These were some things that stood out to me as things that could be changed for the better, so I wanted to mention them at least~ I really do like the rest of the site so far ^ ^

• Fya
  • Nɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇs Sʟᴀʏᴇʀ

Posted at 2013-02-23 20:59:48 — Link

No support for the color suggestion.

I think it would kill the game. The fun is that, if you want a color very much, you have to breed pets to get it, and that's actually one of the reason that makes some of the players play. Choosing in a few very basic colors would be great, but not all of the colors.

I don't know about the second...

And actually, if you don't like the pets you got, you can give them to someone that would be more than happy to get them (I buy pumas at a very high price, actually.) You can send them to the pound too, if you want to get rid of them faster.

10.14.2013 ~ 02.13.2014

I love you more than the world, from the beginning to the end that'll never come.

• Nidira
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-23 21:25:19 — Link

Support for color. The default Roc that was displayed when I joined the game...well, that's what I expected to actually get. Instead, I got a plain dark gray Roc (which isn't terrible, but he's just not all that attractive). I've seen sites with a similar pet system that allows you to pick a color or at least get the color that you're looking at on the selection page. It doesn't seen difficult to impliment.

As for the tutorial, it would be nice if the entire thing was optional. I don't enjoy being forced to perform tasks. I like exploring a site and figuring it out for myself.  Battling over and over again because I kept losing got very old, very fast.

Then, too, the tutorial also messes up our ability to go to the pound in the same day, which becomes incredibly irritating, incredibly quickly. Tutorial battles don't use energy, but the tutorial pound visit completely obliterates your ability to go again outside of it? That doesn't even seem fair to me.

I also can't help but agree with breeding being part of the tutorial. I don't see that as truly necessary and I'm not entirely fond of the idea of being forced to breed two creatures together in it.

I understand that you'd want people to understand how it works, but a lot of it is, well, not entirely necessary. x.x;

• Vyrr
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-23 21:52:54 — Link

I disagree that it would kill the game. I don't necessarily have a lot of experience with the game, but assuming that a person doesn't only want one out of the many creature/color combinations on the site, I don't see how at least giving them the creature the game generates at the beginning would ruin anything at all. There are a lot of creatures on this site I'd love to have someday, there are even unicorns that I like a lot more than the first brown one I saw, and I'd be very happy to work toward getting them someday, certainly not immediately because obviously there's no fun in getting everything you want at the beginning xD the reason I bothered making the suggestion is because it was really disheartening to look at the starter pets and think "Oh, this one is beautiful!" and be met with something you think is really plain (in a bad way) or even just ugly. For me it was almost disappointing enough that I didn't want to bother with the other parts of the site because they'd make me to use the unicorn as my main pet, until I found a gryphon in the pound that I got to choose and actually keep, which is the main reason I bothered with the rest of the tutorial instead of moving on to something else. The gryphon also isn't my favorite gryphon color on the site, but just the fact that I got to choose her as my favorite out of a small group makes her worth keeping and leveling up.

As for the suggestion about the pumas, it's more about the game making the player keep and breed animals they might not have wanted to. In games that don't follow a strict storyline, I like to make decisions about what goes on in my account, and the whole situation where I apparently took in two creatures that I might not have liked the appearance of and then bred them together was honestly just kind of annoying. I would much rather have just clicked a button with the option "Reject the puma and his mate" or something along those lines. Yes, I can give them away or sell them, but I didn't /want/ to do any of that, I just wanted to move on to the next part of the tutorial so that I could explore the site xD it's just the fact that the game /makes/ you do these things and doesn't give you any say in the matter that's so off-putting, that kind of makes me feel less like I'm playing a game and more like I'm going on a ride that ends with me cleaning up a "mess" (the undesired male puma and the attractive one that's pregnant with a cub that has a chance of being just as unattractive as the father, imo)

• Kolibri
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-23 23:50:43 — Link

I somewhat agree with the color selection of the first pet. Even if we’re not allowed to browse and choose a specific color, I do believe in the ‘get what you see.’

As for the tutorial, I feel that, with as brief as it was, it’s not a huge deal. Tutorials are useful in helping curb questions new players have by introducing them to the major aspects of the game. Yes, people can simply learn by trial and error. Many times, however, that is not the case and many ask questions instead. With that being said, I can agree that being forced to take pets you may not want was frustrating. I also agree that it’s just as easy to sell them or even donate them to the pound. I don’t feel the tutorial was all that unnecessary, because it cleared a lot of questions I would‘ve had when I was done. Grant it, even after the tutorial, I admit there were questions I had to answer on my own. Perhaps this is a bias on my part, being used to sites having tutorials and mandatory quizzes to assure ignorance is avoided (not all being pet-sites, either). I really believe the tutorial was extremely useful. In my experience, it becomes pointless if you can simply skip certain parts. If you skip one part, very few times, will you ever return to the tutorial anyways. I agree that making adjustments to the tutorial could help improve it. However, I’m a stickler for them and would like to see it remain as a part of the site. 

The battling was pretty annoying, I’ll admit. Admittedly, I lucked out and only had to battle three times before I won and was able to move on. You learn about the moves cancelling each other out, which is beneficial to understanding why you win or lose. While the knowledge helps, perhaps creating a more in-depth or thought provoking tutorial for the battling would be better. For example, instead of trying to win or loose, you’re asked ‘Your opponent chose Bite, what attack could you counter with?’ And you select the right one. This will obviously need more adjusting on its own, but it would serve to help move the battling along much quicker. It’s a lot quicker being able to correct an answer, than battling over and over until you luck out and win. 

As far as the pound goes in terms of it wasting a day, I’m not really sure giving it a free pass would be the most beneficial either. Sure, I was sad when I went back to the pound to try and pick up another creature and was told I couldn’t. At the same time, at least for now, there aren’t many pets in the pound to begin with. Therefore, balancing it out to one a day for everyone, regardless of the tutorial, may need to suffice. There’s always tomorrow, too.

No to being rid of or being allowed to skip parts of the tutorial; Yes to the suggestions (such as the battling and possibly the pound being modified).

"You know what the issue is with this world? Everyone wants a magical solution for their problem, and everyone refuses to believe in magic."

- Jefferson/The Mad Hatter, Once Upon a Time

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla