Boards < General < Help < Gene Combo Abilites

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Stormflight
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-28 00:20:57 — Link

All right, so I joined Beast Keeper pretty recently, and for the most part I've learned about the majority of the mechanics and whatnot. However, something is confusing me. I'm looking on my starter pet {{http://beastkeeper.com/pet/195953}} seeing "Gene Combo Abilities." I know what it is, as I've seen other pets that have a combination of genes that allow them to have certain moves and those appear down there, but what's confusing me is my own dragon. She has all three fire-blowing genes (Fire gland, spitting muscle, Napalm gland) and those three together should mean that fire-blowing should be listed below Gene Combo Abilities. Why isn't it?

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-28 01:24:04 — Link

Hello ^^

Don't worry, you are understanding the genes correctly, yes together fire gland and spitting gland would mean that she could breathe fire. However, your pet has those genes as recessives. When genes are grey they are recessive, when they are green they are dominant. Just like in real life genetics; you may have brown eyes as a phenotype (shown) but you may carry the gene for blue eyes as well (which would be your geneotype). I digress from confusing biology stuff though...

Your dragon actually carries a bunch of very nice recessives! And I mean very nice. Robust scales is quite popular, and she has fearsome look as well. She could be a great mother to some battling dragons witht the right mate!

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Stormflight
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-28 01:44:20 — Link

Oh! Haha, I was actually wondering if that was the case xD For some reason my brain was messing around with my 7th grade Science information, so I thought that recessives just meant that they had less of a chance of passing down to the offspring :P

Thank you for the compliment, I found a lovely male with no negative genes just like her and I've bred them together twice, the little dragonlings have some lovely genes <3

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-28 01:58:46 — Link

No problem! :) *sites like this have helped me a lot with science by making it so simple for my crazy mind!*

Nice! I'll bet. She really is a good find, hold onto that one!

If you have any other questions let me know! :)

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Stormflight
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-28 18:41:48 — Link

I will, she has sentimental value to me being my starter pet n' all xD

I do actually have a few more questions. They both have to do with passing down genes.

So, say that my dragon Jylamis breeds with another dragon, ect., ect.  Colorwise, she has red {common} and silver {very rare}. Would red be more easily passed down because it's more common or does gene rarity just affect how easily you find default {by that I meant parentless that you find wild, ect.} pets with those traits

Also, say that I breed another pair of pets. Is it possible for both genes of one parent to be put into one category? Like, if  the parent has steel bones and solid bones, and the other parent has two normal bones  genes, is it possible for the offspring to inherit two genes in the same category from one parent?

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-28 23:33:46 — Link

Hello!

FIrst off, welcome to the site and congratulations on a lovely starter pet! :D

As for your questions:

Your second assumption is correct. common and rare only refer to how often you find pets with those genes in the wild (although there was the theory that it means how many of those pets are on the site, but I haven't heard anything official on this and think the wilds theory much more likely). At either rate though, it has nothing to do with how easily a gene is being passed down. Which gene gets passed down is random. There is a 50/50 chance that the red will be passed down or the silver.

Since it ties into this question (although you didn't ask it specifically, but I didn't understand this in the beginning at all): If you hover over a gene on your pet, it says Power: XX - this power is what distinguishes which gene will be recessive and which dominant! If your mother gives silver with Power: 40, but the father passes down Red with Power 50, the child will always show Red (dominant) and only have Silver as recessive hidden in its genes. Since Silver has the weakest Power of all the colour genes, this means that you have to get Silver gene from BOTH mother and father to actually show as Silver. Any other colour passed down would always show that other colour. 

Second question: The left hand column of genes in your pet is ALWAYS from the mother, the right column always from the father! It is impossible for a pet to get two genes from the same parent in one category. In your example, this means the child would get EITHER Steel OR Solid Bones and the other gene would always be Normal. 

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla