Boards < General < Creative < Question: Skin restrictions?

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• redwerecat
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-26 21:53:46 — Link

I have a couple skin-related questions I never saw answered in the faq or anywhere.

One, does it cost anything to SUBMIT a skin? To use it costs a rainbow jar, but to submit it, does that cost anything?

Two, are there any restrictions on what I can and cannot do in regards to skins? Like, if I want to make a...hm. A chinese-dragon type skin, and draw it all in, would that be too off-beat for a dragon skin?

Third, and last, are there restrictions on the skins in regards to making homage skins of sme sort? Like, fandom-related thins? Are they allowed, disallowed, allowed only if the source isn't copied directly...? 

Like, say I wanted to make a... dragon inspired by Homestuck. (Most big name fandom I could think of.) If I make a gray dragon with candy-corn colored horns, would that be pushing it? Or could I do that, so long as i did not create a dragon skin that exactly replicated a full design of a character?

(This last question cmes from the fact that i want to make a vulture-y skin inspired by Blodwing from the Borderlands series of games for a cockatrice, and I want to know if usuing her patterning might be against the rules?)

Or using the general design/pattern of a character and transferring that to a pet? A pokemon-inspired (and patterned) skin for something?

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-26 23:59:57 — Link

1- It does not cost anything to submit a skin, and you can submit as many as you like.

2- You are allowed to make your very own base. It just has to contain certain key elements of that pet. For instance if you were making a unicorn you could not add wings, or give it a dragon head. As for your dragon question (see below) 

The Thread: http://beastkeeper.com/thread/247

Angel responded to a few similar questions on this thread. Perhaps this will help?

Would a Gryphon with a lion's body and only wings of a bird be accepted?
No, it should have at least bird head too and preferably bird front paws.

In other words, does a Custom-Skinned Cockatrice have to look specifically like the Cockatrice on-site or be our own interpretation of the mythological creature.
It doesn't have to be a copy of site version of Cockatrice. It can be any creature interpretation which could be identified as cockatrice. The rule is the same: leave the essence of the creature (bipedal bird/reptile hybrid with the bird-like head and preferably though not obligatory with some kind of crest), all other changes are acceptable.

But would it be alright to put scales on a unicorn? And/or give them two horns rather then the one?
Scales for unicorn is ok until it stays a unicorn and doesn't become a kirin. Two horns are ok too, I don't see any problems with identifying a horned horse as a unicorn, no matter how many horns does it have and even it actually stops being a "uni".

is there a breed deffinition for a dragon- cause some species of dragon dont have wings like eastern style dragons/or some water dragons. Are wings a requirement?

Yes, the wings are obligatory. The rule for all species is the same: the number and type of main body parts (limbs, heads, tails) should stay the same. The decorations and details can be any. For example, wings can be feathered but not removed at all.

In regards to dragons: the creature skins should have the same amount of limbs, heads and other body parts with the site versions of pets, no matter if you're using the official base or creating a skin from scratch. If we had hydras among pets, it would be accepted as hydra, but right now we don't have them. The site dragon is a reptilian with 1 head, 2 wings, 4 legs and 1 tail. Everything else can be altered.

So your dragon would have to retain all these body parts. I'm sure vestigeal or smaller wings would be OK.

Here is a list on what comprises each species generally:
Dragon. Reptilian with 2 wings, 4 legs, 1 tail and 1 head.
Roc. Raptor avian. 1 head, 2 wings, 2 legs.
Gryphon. Feline / avian hybrid with bird head, wings and cat hind paws and tail. Front paws can be either avian or feline. 1 head, 2 wings, 4 legs, 1 tail.
Unicorn. Equine with horn on the head. 1 head, 4 legs, 1 tail.
Cockatrice. Bipedal reptilian / avian hybrid. 1 head with beak and preferably a crest, 2 wings or intermediate form between reptilian arms and wings, 2 legs and 1 reptilian tail.
Puma. Ordinary feline. 1 head, 4 legs, 1 tail.

3- As far as your last question you should certainly post on the board about that. I know you cannot copy the original artists style, poses, or proportions. You need to make unique. But as this could be potentially breaching some sort of copyrite issues with either Homestuck and Pokemon I suggest you post on that board with more specific information.

Sorry I could not answer everything. I hope that helped some!

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• FrolickingHatchlings
  • User

Posted at 2022-07-15 19:05:39 — Link

cool!

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla