Boards < General < Help < Custom skin-making question

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Amberfly
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-09 03:51:27 — Link

One of the custom skin issues listed in the "common mistakes" sticky is (to quote): Image problems that are only visible on a dark background. I've been working on a skin that has this issue (haven't submitted it yet)--there is a white halo around the image on a dark background. I'm just wondering how to fix this issue? I'm using GIMP but I'm not very experienced with it--I can't even figure out how to change the background color in GIMP, let alone get rid of any stray lines. Can someone please give me some advice using it?

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-09 04:35:19 — Link

I don't have too much experince with gimp...

Does Gimp have anti-aliasing? This will help smooth your selections and you can easily just hightlight it.

I would try Deviantart tutorials for help with GIMP. There are LOTS on DA.

I never really liked GIMP. I can suggest several other programs. Paint.NET is powerful and doesn't have the weird interface that GIMP has.

Photoshop CS2 was released free as a Legacy edition, legally. You can download it from this link (http://beastkeeper.com/thread/4107). Scroll down to my post and you can see the download link. I use Photoshop CS2 and it is fantastic (though outdated, but that isn't important to me). There are PLENTY of photoshop tutorials all over the internet. And many are applicable to all versions.  I suggest using a program like this. However it does take a great deal of space on your computer....

I hope this was able to help- sorry I can't do more.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Amberfly
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-09 04:45:14 — Link

Thank you for the advice. I'm not an artist--really the only reason I have a drawing program is to make BK skins, and I need one that's free. I'll check out Photoshop CS2 and the DA tutorials--I don't use that site so it didn't occur to me to look there. Thanks!

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-02-09 04:54:03 — Link

Haha. I started using Deviantart to store my photos and art. Then I started to really progress in my art and have a new DA. One thing has always remained- Faveing all the awesome tutorials! There are so many helpful tutorials, reference photos and guides (especially for anatomy). I recommend at least making an account to keep track of tutorials (or just download them.

I started learning digital art because of Wajas, and ended up getting a graphics tablet because of it. I really learned a lot from DA. That and just playing around!

Good luck!

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla