Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Approved Suggestions < Very rare, randomized mutations?

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• mosaic
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-08 00:37:36 — Link

Sorry if this has been suggested before! I was thinking the other day about pet value - how every day more high GP pets with better genetics are being bred and how that affects pet worth. It may take some time, but eventually very powerful pets will become quite cheap due to supply and demand (See Horse Isle). Now, the current Kami event is a brilliant idea, because the Kamis represent a non-renewable resource that will only increase in value over time. I would like to see more pets with inherent value. Pets such as these also offer new goals for older, wealthier players.

So what about non-inheritable, randomized mutation? Like, every pet born/caught has 1 in 1 million chance to be a mutant (similar to the Chicken Smoothie zebras, for example...or Shiny Pokemon). I don't suggest that the effects be particularly powerful or require a lot of effort to create. Perhaps a slightly increased maximum value for all stats, or the ability to reach level 51. It could be as simple as yellow text for the pet name instead of the default grey. The effect could even be negative! It could be almost anything, really, provided it:

a) Doesn't offer unique abilities or significant combat advantage

b) Isn't inheritable

c) Is distinctive enough to warrant demand

d) Doesn't drastically alter existing pet format

Another effect of such pets would be redistribution of wealth. Since all players would have an equal chance of acquiring a mutant, the younger/poorer of the lucky owners could sell to wealthier collectors, putting cash back into the economy.

Again, sorry if this is a repeat of earlier suggestions. Thanks for reading!

---One effect I would love, but do not think would work, is modified artwork. For instance: a unicorn with the mutation characteristic might be a pegasus instead (this could satisfy users interested in pegasi without introducing a visually redundant breed). Or (less artwork required) a mutated unicorn might have two horns. Even simpler - a stat modification could be reflected by a subtle visual effect, like a glow. Unfortunately I think modified artwork would be redundant due to the custom skin system.

*~*Combat Unicorns*~*Deviant Rocs*~*Silver&Gold Cockatrices*~*

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2014-02-08 01:20:30 — Link

Thank you for suggestion. It's a really great idea with random uniheritable mutations to our mind too, you have excellently analyzed the demand and breeding dynamics. It needs to be worked out to details and will require quite a lot efforts to implement, that's why I can't promise that it will be introduced soon. But we will consider adding something like this.

• mosaic
  • User

Posted at 2014-02-08 02:15:43 — Link

Thanks for the feedback!

*~*Combat Unicorns*~*Deviant Rocs*~*Silver&Gold Cockatrices*~*

• Raikachu
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-17 02:15:18 — Link

I love this idea! but as for (lack of better word) looks, I like the glow idea, but it would make sense if the glow color matched skin color...like say an orange puma glow could be DUH orange (or red). 

so again, love the idea! 

I am NOT easily distrac-oohhh butterfly!

• Vulpine
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-17 03:22:31 — Link

I really like this idea! 

With the idea of Shiny Pokemon in mind, I was imagining some kind of "golden" variation? Like when breeding certain colors together, certain mutations could be discoverered? 

In example, common colored Symurgh's normally have blue and green wings, but when they're bred together, they could have an extremely slim chance of producing say, a Sapphire colored Symurgh. Or two Fiery Symurghs could produce a Ruby. 

• abcde
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-17 17:57:48 — Link

Hi,  I'm still fairly new here but not new to other breeding games.  Mosaics ideas in general sound nice but I'd really like to add to it if I may?  

1) How dificult or easy do we want breeding to be for members new and old?  Too easy it loses is appeal. Too dificult and it will be hard to attract new members.

2) Mutuations are nice, but honestly would rather keep and mainain rare items and genes rare.  Otherwise, they lose their appeal as supply ups.   Some members remain interested when there is a goal to be had.  

3) Additionally, mutations in nature are by default extremely rare and present only when conditions warrant it (like extreme environmental changes or as a species overbreeds or underbreeds. and then those genes *are* inheritable but not directly available as "normal" genes.  I for one  would rather not see an abundance of non inheritable mutating genes - especially if there's a type of animal I'm tryin to breed.

I arrived post Kami so I can't really comment on Kami, except that new species are always great if they're not introduced too often enough.  NOt only is it a game burden but it becomes overwhelmin to new and current members.  the end game will result with people just breeding to breed and apply some shotgun approach to the pairing of animals.   I'd honestly rather see rare as just that, rare.  With a platform of "rares" such as rare, very rare, rarely in existence .... much like the "ancient berzerk" dragon gene with muations inherited but only showin up as statistical anomalies and extremely rare across the population.

It would be nice to see more physical gene  aspects in the animals....like maybe physical changes in the tail or ears.   That could become another gene change aspect aside from mutations...another phsyical change breeders could try to breed for.  The color aspect is nice, but really.... a purple gryphon would just not do it for me.

It woul also be wonderful to see studs with actual genes studied.   I think the above rares combined with more serious genes studied for the stud market woul really peak more interest  in this game.  This would then attract both pet adoption oriented members as well as the gene breeder types and the 'high level arena' type breeders.

My two cents and hope I have not been a wet blanket or the group, not my intention at all :)

• Poe
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-18 11:04:33 — Link

Since value is in the eye of beholder, one cannot be quiet certain what could increase or decrease in value over time, and a single thing may not always hold value for everyone.

Also, since some will breed for the genes, yet others for the looks, the genetic makeup will not always be a warrant for interest on part of breeders.

Having a non-inheritable genetic mutation due to environmental changes ("from island to desert or tundra" as the news thread has it) is justifiable, but there are already heritable mutations, induced by mutagen usage, practicality of which is, I think, a matter of point of view.

Easier or more difficult breeding does not neccessarily mean lack of interest in it. Rather it would mean that different types of players would be attracted to the game.

• bunnydoec20
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-22 03:46:34 — Link

I have a idea how about having alicorns = winged unicorns and some other animal that is really cool and powerful for senoir players you could do this every year but you can give me some things to add in so i hope you like the idea because i love alicorns well bye

• nonafenon
  • User

Posted at 2014-03-23 17:24:25 — Link

Pegasus-Hippogryph-Phoenix  those r good to see her :P

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla