Boards < General < Help < How to read genetics?

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-21 12:20:37 — Link

So, I'm trying to figure out how to read the genetics. If something is green does that mean your pet has that gene? What's the signifigance of right vs left? Is it like left = dominant and right = recessive? Are the grey italicized genes ones your pet doesn't have?

• Fya
  • Nɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇs Sʟᴀʏᴇʀ

Posted at 2013-02-21 13:23:59 — Link

Green means it's a good gene, while red is quite bad. Black is neutral.

10.14.2013 ~ 02.13.2014

I love you more than the world, from the beginning to the end that'll never come.

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-21 14:34:54 — Link

What about Grey?

And sooo... How do I tell which genes my pets have? x.x Do the pets have every single gene discovered on that chart thingy, including both left side and right side stuff? Because like my pet has genes that contradict each other if so. Like my pet Inara would have Normal Senses but also be Deaf if that is so? Normal Senses is on the left and Deaf is on the right.

And also I don't think it's green is good grey is normal, because I have some cases of two of the same traits only one is green and one is grey (i.e.  Normal Organs + Normal Organs; left one is green, right one is grey, and Normal Paws + Normal Pats with the opposite color scheme)

• Mars
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-21 15:20:09 — Link

I believe that Green is dominant, while Gray is recessive. In the case that some Genetics are blank, it doesn't mean that they don't have them-- it just means that you have yet to unlock {or research} that specific Genetic. From what I've seen so far, only green genetics actually make a difference on my Diablo.

For instance: Diablo's Light Bones genetic is green-- the description on Light Bones states: "Constitution is decreased by 25%, agility is increased by 25%."

When I check Diablo's Characteristics, his Constitution is in the red-- meaning his Light Bones genetic {and maybe others I've yet to unlock} have decreased it, while his Agility is in the green and has been increased just as the Light Bones genetic stated. If Gray had been the dominant gene {Normal Bones},  neither his constitution or agility would have been effected by it.

That's just my reasoning && notes on the whole genetics thing. xD

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-02-21 18:29:36 — Link

Mars, thanks for your reply, your description is completely right :)

In addition I can only say that you can determine some genes even without researching the whole pet's genome. Almost all dominant genes are expressed directly. Blue striped dragon definitely has Blue and Striped as dominant color and pattern genes. If you see that your pet's witness is colored as red, you can suppose that this pet has Slow-minded or Silly gene, but if it's green, this pet has Smart or Quickmind among dominant genes. This can be helpful when you try to breed a child with certain genes but genectics of parents isn't fully researched.

• lililira
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-21 22:24:04 — Link

It might help to add this information to the FAQ.

And if I understand you correctly, I can infer that my puma Requiem's dominant coat color gene is Gray because he is a silver puma and his recessive coat color gene is Brown, and in the Genetics listing Brown has a lower Gene Power than Gray?

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-02-22 06:09:36 — Link

lililira, you're right :) The dominance of the gene depends on its genetic power, so the same gene can be play dominant or recessive role depending on the other gene in pair.

• seph
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-22 14:25:07 — Link

So which is the way you read those genes? An add for that in the faqs would be nice or under the list of genes there could be an introduction on how to read those too.

Going by the stats which are green or red my Unicorn has a strength boost and nothing that decreases or affects her other stats in any way.

Does that make the things written in green dominant or those on the left side or?

I'm slightly confused. ^^'

Pet Sales

Item Sales

Need a pet for building?

Then visit the Builders Help to get an assistant.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-02-22 16:49:52 — Link

seph, you're right, it needs to be in FAQ. I'm reforming it now, adding sections and a bunch of new items there.

Most likely your Unicorn has a Strength boost because of the positive dominant Muscles gene which is still not researched. From the other hand, you can tell that there's no negative genes among her unresearched dominant genes since you don't see decreased red stats.

Dominant gene can be either on the left or right, but you can definitely tell the dominance by green color.

• seph
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-22 19:07:04 — Link

Okay thanks that solves it then. ^^

Pet Sales

Item Sales

Need a pet for building?

Then visit the Builders Help to get an assistant.

• Fluffy_Horror
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-22 20:12:07 — Link

Thanks so much for the info, this explains everything! :D

• SpaceShipRat
  • User

Posted at 2013-02-23 18:14:24 — Link

Does the left or right position pay any role in inheritance? As in can a baby inherit, say, the mom's right had gene and the dad's right hand gene with the same probability as the other combinations?

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-02-23 18:34:35 — Link

The probability of inheritance is equal for both right and left position. The left column of genes are the ones which baby gets from its mother, the right are from father. It's a visual division only.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla