Boards < General < Help < Colour

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• nalotel
  • User

Posted at 2013-07-10 20:50:11 — Link

I was wondering if colour was passed on as a genetic thing or if it was random, or if the colour was just picked from the parents. Thank you!

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-07-10 23:23:41 — Link

Color/Skin has genes that determine the phenotype, just like other traits that your pet has. This information is located at the very bottom of the table that contains your pets genetic traits.

Your pet will inherent genes from both parents (likely the parents dominant, or green genes, will be passed). Random genes do not occur (unless through mutation potion). Depending on which genes appear for the phenotype shown use the table. Your pet will have two different genes that determine it's phenotype (what is shown, green genes (dominant)), its genotype is that is not shown (gray genes(recessive)).

If I have a gryphon that has both Himalayan and Cat green (dominant) then she is a Siamese.

The table for the different skins is listed here with pictures: http://beastkeeper.com/skin-lib/67

There are also pets with a custom designed image that use an item called a "Rainbow jar" which can be bought through the premium shop for 20 gold. This allows you to use your own art or a publicly available skin. This is not passed on.

I hope that made sense. :)

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• nalotel
  • User

Posted at 2013-07-10 23:45:46 — Link

Thank you! I'm still trying to get this idea of genes (it seem so simple...but then it just gets more complicated) and have only been here for a couple of days anyway (loving it so far) so still a newbie.

Thanks!

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-07-11 01:19:06 — Link

It's okay. Genes are confusing whether you are on a pet site or in real life. Understanding them is what the "Help" forum is for! Good luck :)

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Kisara
  • User

Posted at 2013-07-12 17:01:18 — Link

Just a little more information to add on.

What can also help is going on the pet profile page (clicking on your pet name), and clicking on the tab,
 "Genetics".

Genes can be researched through the Laboratory.

Notice it states:

"The research of 1 gene costs (showing pictures)

Vermillion

vermillion (Vermillion can be obtained through the site tab... notice the ones at the very top of this webpage..."Explore"[The islands also give other goodies besides vermillion!], or through the "Trading" tab.)

and 100 silver."

Notice the paintbrushes at the bottom of the Pet Profile, those will be your indicators as to which skins you will have.

The Green genetics are the dominants, the grey are the recessives.

(The greens are usually most likely the ones the offspring/ newborns will have, although every now and then they may get a gray gene!)

Unless you specifically want 1 or 2 genes, you need to have both parents with matching dominant (green) genes.

You can also hover your mouse over the site "Help" tab for "List of Genes" (Or just click here)

Notice the 3 important things.

Green Genes, Gene Name, and Gene Group.

Side note: The Black genes are normal, the Red genes are weak, and the Green genes are a plus to have (especially when they can give attack combo bonuses(read their description) if you put 2 of the correct ones they state together!)

Now since that is explained, now you just need to worry about how characteristics (Strenght, etc.) work, and how some genes effect them! Phew!

“Obstacles are only obstacles if you see them as obstacles. They can also be called opportunities.”
-Tucker Max

• nalotel
  • User

Posted at 2013-07-12 23:36:44 — Link

Thanks, I understand the genes (sort of) but I still need to work out the characteristics but I only joined the other day so I have plenty of time to do it:).

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla