Boards < General < Help < Help, degeneration grade 2

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2013-06-07 10:09:12 — Link

http://beastkeeper.com/pet/83411

Just realized this girl, she has the skin I've always wanted, but only just realized she has degeneration.

is that bad? I've named her and everything, I can't get rid of her, she has, like I said, the skin I've always wanted.

but how could she have such good stats and genes then? I thought degeneration was bad on the pets....

will the degeneration grow if I keep breeding her? I don't want her to, but unfortunately, she's my chance on eating silver striped cockatrice...

any advice?

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-06-07 16:52:39 — Link

Degeneration just means that she was bred to close relatives. I believ it lasts three generations? I'm not sure... I know it is in the FAQ or the question mark near the degeneration stat. I'd get the link but I'm on my phone :( the degeneration can be bred out by needing her to non-related pets.

There can be a strategic value to inbreeding. Ironically it is being discussed currently: http://beastkeeper.com/thread/2191

Degeneration will affect the less adaptive stats of the pet and make them more visible. But if your two related pets had mostly green stats and few maladaptive genes then these genes will appear because there aren't bad traits to show. Genes can't appear- mutations only come from mutagens- they have to be in a pets line.

If you want to read about people's experiences or share your own on the thread do so! We're all learning about this still and trying to find the value of it. :)

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2013-06-07 17:07:47 — Link

well, you seem knowledgable, can you have a glance at her pedigree  and genes and tell me if it will cause me a disadvantage or not? thanks

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2013-06-08 00:21:41 — Link

Hm, I have no personal experience with degeneration, but from what I know degen can in fact create new genes that did not exist before, and after re-reading the thread Nightingale linked, I see that Aelisk says so too: 

"Each degen grade gives 10% to the chance of getting new negative genes that didn't exist in the parents for each category "

My thoughts on the matter though: If you like her, keep her and breed her. If you breed her to a non-relative, her child will be Degen grade1 and their child will be degen free. Degen1 just means the child will have a chance at bad genes. And possibly those bad genes won't even be that terrible (Light Bones for instance, or Poor Hearing, etc) and can be bred out of the line with a bit of care and time. I would definitely go for it if I was you. But ultimately, only you can decide if you want to put the effort into this :)

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-06-08 03:09:16 — Link

Dang! My experience with degeneration hasn't shown anything new. I guess its such a small percentage I haven't run into it. <p> Thanks for clearing that up for me to! Its so small I don't think it would bother me that much. <p> But as Timain said... Its your choice. If your breeding degeneration pets and they usually have poor genes or a bad match then it would not be wise to flood the system with them. Find out what users want. If you breed a good degeneration pet for the purpose of breeding it with non,degeneration pets I think that the past inbreeding would not matter that much for a buyer. But some people may not want a degeneration pet unless they are looking for specific genes.

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2013-06-08 08:02:42 — Link

But their parents, an the degeneration has really good genes and no red stats for a degeneration, and it's different than what I have seen, the other degeneration s I see had horrid genes, or had a red in one of them.

whcih well, this one doesn't, but she has genes i never had in other cockatrice before.

...so should I take it as a good sign that I have a degeneration two with excellent stats and genes?

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2013-06-08 10:18:07 — Link

Just give it a try. 

I personally would only sell her grandchildren (degen-free), but as Nightingale says, you can always try and see what users want.

Anyway, try it out. Breed her, see what happens. As Nightingale says, it's only a chance that anything bad will happen. Degeneration 1 is not all that terrible., so her children may turn out just fine. Just make extra sure you don't breed her to any close relatives. Degen 3 might be a bit overdoing it ;)

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla