Boards < General < General Chat < Color name goofs - unicorns

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• deebeth89
  • User

Posted at 2013-04-15 11:59:13 — Link

Was just looking at the unicorn skin library & noticed a term mistake, the buckskin pinto isn't a piebald, piebalds are exclusively black & white pintos of any pattern, skewbalds are any color other than black pintos. The American terminology is much more detailed than the English ones which just label the base color. The unicorns on here are a bay tobiano or tovero, chestnut overo which uses that label, black tovero & buckskin overo. Also blue roans are black plus roan so they have a black head & points. I'm a bit of an equine color genetics nut.

• Indiana
  • User

Posted at 2013-04-15 12:55:00 — Link

Being British I also found it strange, to see the many different shades of "piebald" and I agree.... we do have a much more simplified terminology,  but I have not found BK's version a problem.

What confused me more  is the genetics used here, but even so I am learning to put aside all thoughts of RL genetics and slowly learning the gene structure on BK

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-04-15 17:58:49 — Link

It's a fantasy game, and the genetics here follows only the general rules but do not represent the real patterns and pigments. There are no real animals whose color and pattern can be described with only 2 genes with several alleles each. In general we follow the rules of gene dominance in the multiallelic environment, and some basic gene interaction like supression and codominance, but nothing more as it will make the genetic system excessively and unreasonably complicated. For example, our gryphon genes do not represent the real genetics at all but used to bind the color to the ancestor real avian and feline species which were taken as a base when gryphons were constructed in the genetic libraries. Can you just imagine how the real genetics of such chimera will look like? The whole genetic chart willl be too small to describe only their colors :) Unicorns are not more real than gryphons, and their genetics too. Just don't take it so serious :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piebald

Piebald in general does not refer to the main coat color, be it black or some other one. It describes only the presence of the unpigmented patches. It's not a horse-only term and used for all animals.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla