Boards < General < Help < Breeding.

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Kayla-La
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 22:38:55 — Link

So I thought I understood it. You have two columns, and according to the FAQ, there's an equal chance when you breed for a gene to be pulled from either column from either parent.

But now I'm hearing about genetic power on genes, and that the one with the higher power will ALWAYS be what's pulled. What is this? When I hover over a gene, all I see is whether it's common or not. The FAQ doesn't really seem to go into this.

Can someone explain this to me and how you can tell what a gene's genetic power is? How exactly does it effect breeding? I feel this needs to be made more clear, as the FAQ gives the impression that it's randomized between the parents' genes.

• Aelisk
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:13:08 — Link

Genetic power just determines how dominant a gene is, not whether it gets pulled or not.

Say you have music beak and normal beak, theres a 50% chance for either to be pulled into the baby. But if the other parent has Massive/Massive beak, then you have 50% chance for Music/Massive and 50% chance for Normal/Massive in the baby.

Look at the gene power table: Normal (70)  > Massive (50) > Music (40)

This means you well never get a Music beak dominant from this pairing, the Music/Massive will make a Massive beak bird, and the Normal/Massive will make a Normal beak bird.

Rocs: Garuda: Wing and Strike
Cockatrices: Hydralisk
Throdamas: Swarm

Lykos: Fenrir
Symurghs: Primavera
Dragons: Python

Recent progress: Project Perfect

• Kayla-La
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:28:09 — Link

Look at the gene power table: Normal (70)  > Massive (50) > Music (40)

This is part of my problem. Where exactly are you getting these numbers from?

• Aelisk
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:39:17 — Link

Help > List of genes. 
Here's a link too http://beastkeeper.com/gen-lib/364

Its one of the columns.

Rocs: Garuda: Wing and Strike
Cockatrices: Hydralisk
Throdamas: Swarm

Lykos: Fenrir
Symurghs: Primavera
Dragons: Python

Recent progress: Project Perfect

• Kayla-La
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-21 23:42:26 — Link

Huh. Well thank you. I knew there was a gene list, but I had no idea anything on there mattered for breeding. This should really be clarified in the FAQ. :/

It feels like breeding just got a bit more complicated..

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-22 17:25:35 — Link

Gene Power affects only gene dominance like Aelisk said. It doesn't affect the chance of inheritance which is always 50% for any gene. I'm not sure what else should be added to the FAQ because the chances, link to Gene List and the idea of genetic power is already there.

• shilar
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-30 21:30:52 — Link

I just want to be clear on this ... it is ALWAY one from each parent there is never a chance you can get both genes from one parent right?

For instance if you have a dragon that is black/black being bred to a red/red you will ALWAYS get black/red correct? There is no chance of getting a black black or red red correct?

(hope that question is clear hehe)

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-30 22:32:17 — Link

shilar, everything is correct. There's always one gene from father and one from mother, so all the offsprings from your example will be black dragons with red recessive color.

• shilar
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-30 23:17:22 — Link

Thanks Angel :)

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla