Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Bugs Archive < failure to search

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• koben
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 04:21:19 — Link

i was bored the other day and curious so i pulled up the search

put in Degeneration : 1
 the page sits there for 3+ minutes and then stops at a completly white screen i can refresh all i want. but nothing even comes up to say there is nothing that meets your search.

also while its searching it lags every other beastkeeper tab i may have open.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/liger-aero/degrade1_zpsc6b2b08e.png - search

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/liger-aero/whiteofdoom_zps57b60139.png - white screen of doom

• irrimn
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 07:14:26 — Link

I want to say this is because of how I think degeneration search works

Since no one wants degeneration (at least there is no reason you would want a pet with it specifically to purchase, and mating to it with a non-relative would be just like a regular breeding) -- the search actually uses that number as a "maximum acceptable amount of degeneration" and not a whole valid search query by itself. So essentially the rest of your query is BLANK. Couple this with the fact that there is probably not any pets with degeneration up for sale means that the search is finding nothing, or is infinately looping trying to search for the rest of your query.

At least, this is what I'm thinking is probably happening. If that is what is happening, this isn't a bug so much as a intended consequence that needs to have an error message produced or the search query discarded.

What I can suggest for you to fix this bug is: don't do this anymore. If it is running an infinite loop (which is what the lag would suggest) seraching for your null query (which the rest of the search script is programmed to ignore) then it's probably taxing your connection to the server and possibly the server itself.

What else you can do is enter more of a search than just degeneration, such as breed, gender, genetics, etc. which will return a result -- though as I said, not neccessarily a pet with degeneration.

• koben
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 07:21:57 — Link

gets the same result form grade 2/3

this is also the SIte search not the pet trade search. using the trade search seems to do like what your saying that anything Over that set grade wont show as when i clicked up the degrade box up to one i got more on the trade search

• Haberdasher
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-15 07:34:58 — Link

I checked this, and entering more specific traits (in my test, a male Gryphon with Degeneration 1) did indeed pull up ALL male gryphons, presumably excluding those with Degeneration 2 and 3, but I didn't bother combing through all 40 pages. There was a bit of lag, but the page did load. This confirms that irrimn is correct about how the search functions in that regard.

However, given that that is the case, I think the phrasing is a bit deceiving. I don't think it's necessarily true that there's no reason to go searching for a pet with Degeneration specifically- you might simply be interested in Degeneration pets, like koben and I apparently both are. I think either the search should clarify that it isn't searching for Degeneration pets specifically- I certainly thought it was!- but instead excluding pets of higher degeneration statuses, OR it should just be changed so that it DOES search for pets of a certain degeneration status, with a "No Degeneration" option to more or less preserve its original function.

#33507 on Aywas

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-16 02:33:10 — Link

Thanks for reporting. It should be fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• krahe
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-26 22:35:16 — Link

This seems like it fits here, I went to the pet trade search and typed in specifics but when I went to select genes only half of the selection shows up for me. I was trying to put in an acid gland but it only shows a partial selection to choose from. I use internet explorer and google chrome. I'm sorry Idon't know how to do a screenshot. 

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-27 03:40:48 — Link

krahe, please try to make a screenshot, otherwise it will be almost impossible to undertand where the bug is.

How to make a screenshot

You can upload a screenshot right into your post through the answer form.

• krahe
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-27 07:53:47 — Link

• krahe
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-27 07:58:46 — Link

Trying again, sorry about this.

• krahe
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-27 23:39:39 — Link

I tried the search this afternoon it's working now. :) Thank you.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-28 02:30:43 — Link

krahe, thanks!

Can you try now please with clearing browser cache first?

How to clear browser cache

I'm not sure why exactly this is happening and I don't see it myself in any of the browsers, but if I guessed the cause of this bug right, it will be fixed now. If not, then I'll search for the solution further.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla