Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Bugs Archive < Forest Alchemist

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Sunset
  • User

Posted at 2020-03-10 06:15:31 — Link

Something seems to be preventing the Forest Alchemist from changing the color and pattern genes randomly. Instead, the change seems to be determined by the rarity of the gene that the alchemist is replacing for.

It clearly states that the change is supposed to be random, but I'm conducting a test that currently shows otherwise. Here are my results this far:

Silver(r) to Red x1
Red(d) to Green x2
Red(d) to Blue x3
Blue(d) to Red x1
Green(d) ro Red x1
Piebald(d) to Normal x2
Piebald(r) to Normal x2
Striped(r) to Normal x2
Striped(r) to Piebald x2

(r) stands for recessive and (d) stands for dominant.

As shown, I have used the alchemist sixteen times. All visits concerning this test was done with dragons.

The rarity of these genes are as such (No idea what the numbers signify):

Red: Common 50
Blue: Common 80
Green: Common 70
Silver: Very Rare 40
Normal: Common 80
Striped: Very Rare 90
Piebald: Common 70

If the alchemist was truly random, like it claims to be, there would be a wider array of changes. Instead, this test shows that genes are replaced with the most common genes that it can use.

If this is intentional and not a bug, I would like to suggest rewording the alchemist to clearly state that the change is not actually random. Another suggestion would be to make the alchemist actually do what it states it already does.

• Sunset
  • User

Posted at 2020-03-12 18:19:52 — Link

Small update:

Didn't get a screenshot, but the Alchemist just changed Normal to Spotted on one of the dragons and it didn't actually change to Spotted. Instead, the gene became Piebald.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2020-03-15 04:55:34 — Link

This is exactly what gene rarity does :) It works each time when you're rolling for a random gene, not only when visiting the Forest Alchemist. The only item that ignores gene rarity is Mutagen. You may find the exact chances for each gene in the List of Genes

Sunset (#1897) wrote:

Small update:

Didn't get a screenshot, but the Alchemist just changed Normal to Spotted on one of the dragons and it didn't actually change to Spotted. Instead, the gene became Piebald.

Could you please provide a link to this pet?

• Sunset
  • User

Posted at 2020-03-15 05:55:45 — Link

Angel (#3) wrote:

This is exactly what gene rarity does :) It works each time when you're rolling for a random gene, not only when visiting the Forest Alchemist. The only item that ignores gene rarity is Mutagen. You may find the exact chances for each gene in the List of Genes.

That is not what "random" means. Random is when something is selected with no predetermined statistics. The number values and rarities of the genes should not be considered, at all, when randomly getting a new one. If the alchemist is not supposed to roll genes randomly, it needs to be reworded to reflect such.

Encountering a pet, capturing in the case of this site, is when gene rarity comes into play. It is known without being said that rarity is a factor with that sort of thing. A captured pet will have random genes according to rarity. The very wording of the Alchemist, on the other hand, states that rarity is not a factor due to clearly stating that the change is random; Just random, nothing else.

Sunset (#1897) wrote:

Small update:

Could you please provide a link to this pet?

The affected pet is this one - The dominant gene is the one that was affected, or I wouldn't have even known that the Alchemist did not properly change it.

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2020-03-15 09:24:38 — Link

Sunset (#1897) wrote:

That is not what "random" means. Random is when something is selected with no predetermined statistics. The number values and rarities of the genes should not be considered, at all, when randomly getting a new one. If the alchemist is not supposed to roll genes randomly, it needs to be reworded to reflect such.

You have an opaque box with 100 balls. 50 balls are red, 30 are green, 15 are blue, 5 are black. You pick one ball without seeing it. What color would it be? The chances are 50% red, 30% green, 15% blue, and 5% black. It is still true randomness. Having 25 balls of each color is just a single case out of a multitude of possibilities. Could you please tell where did you get the information that "random" means exactly this single case for BeastKeeper? I'm dead sure we never posted anything like this, and it never was a part of the game. The genetic lib page was up with the launch of the game, and it hasn't changed since then.

Encountering a pet, capturing in the case of this site, is when gene rarity comes into play.

Could you please provide a link where you read that gene rarity is limited to capturing wild pets? Taking into accounts a few previous threads, I'm under a strong impression that you have some third-party information source about the game mechanics, which provides false data.  

Sunset (#1897) wrote:

The affected pet is this one - The dominant gene is the one that was affected, or I wouldn't have even known that the Alchemist did not properly change it.

The mutation indeed turned Normal into Spotted on this pet. Try researching the genetics of this pet :) 

• Sunset
  • User

Posted at 2020-03-15 10:20:38 — Link

Angel (#3) wrote:
Sunset (#1897) wrote:

You have an opaque box with 100 balls. 50 balls are red, 30 are green, 15 are blue, 5 are black. You pick one ball without seeing it. What color would it be? The chances are 50% red, 30% green, 15% blue, and 5% black. It is still true randomness. Having 25 balls of each color is just a single case out of a multitude of possibilities. Could you please tell where did you get the information that "random" means exactly this single case for BeastKeeper? I'm dead sure we never posted anything like this, and it never was a part of the game. The genetic lib page was up with the launch of the game, and it hasn't changed since then.

Wording is everything. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean it isn't a thing.

There is no limited amount of each color to pick from with a random change. There are six colors and five patterns. This means that there is a one in eleven chance for each of them being swapped in.

The alchemist states that the change is random. It does not state that the change is random and affected by the rarity of the genes.

Either learn the meanings of words or make a section on the forum describing your flawed definitions so that people are aware of what you consider words to mean.

Encountering a pet, capturing in the case of this site, is when gene rarity comes into play.

Could you please provide a link where you read that gene rarity is limited to capturing wild pets? Taking into accounts a few previous threads, I'm under a strong impression that you have some third-party information source about the game mechanics, which provides false data. 

The information I have is called common sense, which I am beginning to think that you are lacking in. I'm sorry if you think that's rude, but it's seeming more and more like how it is. Since you want to include other threads into this, I'll point out that you don't know the difference between colors and patterns. You don't understand that if you don't state the genre of a game and only give a few details, no one will know what genre the game is. You also don't know the difference between strategy and luck.

You also fail to listen to anything that is said when you don't like it.

Rather than assuming I'm using some sort of third party, you should take a good long look at your lack of understanding.

Angel (#3) wrote:
Sunset (#1897) wrote:

The affected pet is this one - The dominant gene is the one that was affected, or I wouldn't have even known that the Alchemist did not properly change it.

The mutation indeed turned Normal into Spotted on this pet. Try researching the genetics of this pet :) 

As I clearly stated. The dominant gene is the one that changed, not the recessive one. I don't need to research genes in order to see the dominant color and pattern.

The pattern was Normal. The Alchemist changed it to Spotted. Now it is Piebald.

If the Recessive gene changed to Spotted, that means that the recessive gene used to be Piebald. This would also mean that the Alchemist not only changed Normal to Spotted, but also changed which gene was dominant.

The Alchemist should not be capable of changing which gene is dominant, which means this is wrong.

Pay attention.

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla