Boards < General < General Chat < Offspring has gene neither parent carries....

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Roheryn
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-28 05:30:19 — Link

Hi,

I bought this pet today - https://beastkeeper.com/pet/1534366

He has dominate Slow-minded, but his father was homozygous Normal wits and his mother was dominant Normal wits and recessive Quickmind... so how does he end up with Slow-Mind?
He is Degen, one star... but even so, I didn't think the game would just 'create' a bad gene to attribute to a Degen pet.....

This is the second time something like this has happened. The first time I just thought it was some sort of gliche and I didn't worry about it. Now I'm starting to wonder.

Thank you for your time.

• Nightswan
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-28 06:06:27 — Link

Degen, no matter what degree, will give the pet some random mutation to a bad gene. The more degen stars, the more mutations and the more serious they will be. Sometimes you can get away with a lucky degen and no mutations.

I used to own a Symurgh with 3GP and 1DG and it gave her poor hearing despite her parents having Sense of Direction and Normal senses.

Here is an example of a lucky degen: https://beastkeeper.com/pet/1495811

"Violence for violence is the rule of beasts." -obama in some guy's dream

DA: https://www.deviantart.com/rawrzskythrone

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-28 18:55:56 — Link

Degeneration will give bad genes most of the time. It's my bete noire, because most of my cockatrices are all related to two main sires. I have to be very careful when I breed, and most of the time I still get degen. Ugh.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Roheryn
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-29 00:11:23 — Link

So the game doesn't follow basic genetic rules, that's good to know.
I thought a Degen would still have the genes of it's parents, but it would just have bad stats associated with it.

Can it work the other way too then? If I bred two unrelated Degens with one star... the offspring wouldn't be Degen at all, but can some of the bad genes from the parents just disappear for the offspring and it gets some good ones instead?

That is a very lucky Degen Nightswan, congrats!
and I know what you mean Arete, I seem to have the same problem with most of my dragons :(

• Necros
  • User

Posted at 2019-12-29 09:09:49 — Link

Degeneration's meant to discourage players from breeding together related pets, hence the mutations. But if you breed two grade 1 degens together that are not related, the baby shouldn't have any degen.

Breed a degen with a related pet and the grade will increase, and also the chance of passing on a bad gene. Unrelated and it will decrease but have the possibility of still passing on thst undesired gene. So yeah, you'd wanna avoid degen at all costs unless you're specifically breeding for it.

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla