Posted at 2019-07-19 17:50:16 — Link

Hi all,

Ive had alot of people ask me, including family members, why I dont I make money breeding, or why Im always in debt. And people thinking they will make a living breeding  :eek:ut: :lol:

So I wrote this for them, do you think its OK and gets the point across? Have I missed anything? 

Why do I want to breed? Have I the time, patience and understanding? Can I afford it? 

Have I researched the subject thoroughly? Have I discussed this with the experts (other breeders)? How will my human family feel about the idea, will they agree? 

Will I be able to sell my kittens? (Perhaps there are already many established breeders in the area). Do I just fancy a litter? Do I just want a bit of my cat forever/mini version of the cat? Want the family to experience birth with a cat, to show them how life starts? Think its nature/do not believe in neutering? Want to make money? 

Breeding takes time, money, hard work, yes breeding is classed s a 'hobby' hobbies cost money, you certainly do NOT make money breeding, well, not when its done properly!! 

Costs of breeding. * = extra but mostly not covered by budget, as people don’t seem to think of is as extra… it is! 

Before breeding 

Researching lines, breed standard, making friends with breeders, visiting shows, *buying a show neuter to get a feel for breed/standard *books about breeding/showing/genetics, petrol (gets in everywhere that one!) *spending time knowing how to help mum give birth, revive a kitten etc *animal care courses Plus normal everyday care for cats owned, they don’t live on air! 

Thanks
Amanda

Reference: