Boards < Bugs & Suggestions < Suggestions < New Beast Idea- Water (Makara) *NEW COLORED IMAGE*

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 ... 5 6 | Next »

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-08-13 22:21:03 — Link

So I've been trying to think of a proper water beast for awhile since we do not have one. I feel like it could help round out the elements we have.

I was playing around with an idea of the Hippocampus- but figured it was too "horselike" since we already have the unicorn. I thought of sea serpents, but catergorized them as dragons for the time being. After doing some research I stumbled upon the Makara, which is a creature from Hindu Mythology.

The Makara is depicted in many many different forms but is ultimatly a chimera of different animals. Most notably elephant, crocadile, stag or horse with hind quarters of an aquatic creature such as a dolphin or fish (and perhaps some bird parts). Essentially half mammal, half fish in nature. Through time depictions have changed with the arrival of different eras.

I have been trying to capture what I felt fit this description. I haven't come across it just yet. But I really like the idea of half deer half dolphin. I would add in some "flair" with some fins, gills, and peacock like ornamental feathers sprouting from the tail. I drew a really quick sketch on the back of a menu at a resteraunt... Don't judge o.0 I'm trying to redraw it... but if anyone has a better idea please, feel free to post. I don't have much originality sometimes. I also took it with a bad quality camera.. Hopefully I will have some time to re-do this image, once I think of some cool poses and ways to make this creature more "showy".

Another possible concept:

Colored version (I have no idea how to do fins, or underwater highlighting/shading so please offer suggestions!) 

I had a little bit of time today, so I made some minor updates:

Amnaa, who is more talented in anatomy than I, submitted the following coloration (with better body structure!). Meet the Coral Snake!

Koi coloration I made using Amnaa's lines

GriffinRider proposed another version. I like the fins and nose much better. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ucfMzfp6Tyc/VJnoTMJOjtI/AAAAAAAABjE/Pe2pw4SIks0/w525-h553-no/seaserpentcoloured%2Bsignedwbg.png

Possible Genes:

Water Spout (Combo gene) of spitting muscle and water glands. Would work similar to fire breath, lightning strike and acid attack. This would score three points in the arena.

Deflection- Scales on this creature are smooth and shiny and able to repel most basic attacks at equal (or maybe half) strength back to the attacker.

-OR- Slippery scales (this would qualify as a movement perhaps making them more agile as they easily slip from the attackers grasp).

Regeneration

Fertility (similar to Symurgh) these creatures are symbols of fertility so this fits.

Sharp Horns- would increase blow damage by xx%

Now, as for ways the creature would be introduced... I'm not sure exactly what is or is not feasible with the game structure. I think it would be fantastic if this creature could be aquired vie explore. Perhaps fighting in a new building called a "water temple" that can be found in a special map, or on the edges of water bodies. Defeating the gaurdien and making the Makara swear fealty to you would not be easy, but certainly possible.

-or- the creature could be found in the "catch a pet" page and we could introduce a new explorer (diver? boatman?) to capture the pet in the watery areas.

-or- the creature could be won by holding a new building on the arena called the water temple (similar to symurgh or throdama). Or perhaps you have to bring an offering of items instead of holding the temple.

Please please please post suggestions, thoughts ideas. Even if it is a sugestion for a whole new water creature! I just think one would be a very neat addition to the game.

Support List: 

Indiana
emmie1977
Nightbanewolf
Timain
Lytala
Gryphonfire
Capture-the-Night
Monues
PortysPride
GriffinRider
Awolfpaw
Wonja

Suggestions: 

Longer tail (so it meets size requirements, perhaps curled up)
Hooves look strange on second concept drawing
Fins

Fish colorations (lionfish, danios, parrotfish, etc). 

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2014-08-18 11:21:43 — Link

I love the thought you put into this! I agree, a water creature would be great and this one sounds quite cool! I also love your sketch =D

I think a creature that you capture through Explore would be the best thing to do. After all, we have creatures from Battlefield already and while another pet from the catch pet page would be ok too, it would make explore interesting (again). So yes, the option of a special Hero-building where you battle and if you win, the pet comes with you, seems to me like an ideal way of attaining this species. 

Another way could be to make this a (normal) monster that's sitting in waterspots next to land, like Laminaria or Shell for example, and when you battle it there is a small chance that it will come with you, provided you have room in your stable for it.

Colours for this creature would be wonderful. A start could be the colour genetable of the Dragon or the Cockatrice. However, since this is truly a fantastic creature (unlike the Otso or the Unicorn, which is still based on a real animal) and since it's based on fish, which come in all colours imaginable, you could go completely wild with them xD 

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-08-19 18:38:58 — Link

Thank you! I plan on drawing something a bit more "dynamic" in pose when I've got the time. 

I agree, so many possible color options! I was thinking of a "Pices" catergory that showcases different fish patterns: Lionfish for example would be a fantastic pattern. There could be tropical and freshwater like catergories or something... Hmm... I need to start drawing this :D

If deviant applies to the Makara as well then even more possibilities are opened! 

• Gryphonfire
  • User

Posted at 2014-08-23 05:58:26 — Link

This sounds awesome! While i have little to no interest in oceans/water, i think we do need an aquatic animal. Deer/fish sounds good to me! SO MANY COLOR OPTIONS. Gimme 10 mins and i could sprout at least 20 different ideas. Fish come in so many colors.

Personally, i am fond of the explore option, especially the water edge battle/chance of coming with you. Explore doesn't have much going for it once you get things built, and all the water surrounding you is completely pointless, it needs something to it.

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-08-23 15:54:01 — Link

<p>Thanks! I drew a few more quick sketches... But nothing amazing... My anatomy knowledge is really only cats, horses and canids o.o</p>

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-08-24 22:02:04 — Link

New concept drawing: Suggestions? It's still a bit rough...

• Lytala
  • User

Posted at 2014-08-25 15:51:12 — Link

Oooh! I like that.

Breeder of trash deviants

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-08-27 06:25:32 — Link

<p>Thanks! I feel like the tail is too small though... An easy fix though!</p> <p>Sorry, I think I may have accidentally moved this most when I edited the title o.o</p>

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-09-06 05:14:10 — Link

New colored image based off the fish known as a Danio. Not really colored/done... but you get the idea of what is possible with fish colorations :D I realize I have no idea how to do fins or water... so yeah... gonna leave it here for now.

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-06 14:12:06 — Link

I can't help you with the colouring bit at all, but I really like this :D Although I somehow liked the original sketch better, the colours on this one are really great!

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-09-06 17:01:04 — Link

<p>Thanks! What did you like about the original? I chose mot to stick with it because of the size limitations on pet images. The tail on that one simply took up too much space. This one fit nicely into a smaller box (obviously for now it is enhanced for detail).</p> <p>Thank you! I'm trying to come up with more variations! If I were better with fins I feel like it could look so much better.</p>

• Timain
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-06 18:10:59 — Link

Hm, I can't really put my finger on why I liked the first one better.. One thing might be the nose on the original. I think the horn looks nicer than the round snout. Otherwise, there's something about the legs.. The hoof on the bent leg looks kinda off to me, but I'm no (good) artist myself, so I'm terrible at spotting these things.

I did like the original pose more, that's for sure, but I realize that this isn't possible with the image sizes and the new one is nice too, just not quite as fluent (if that makes sense..)

I'm sorry I'm not more of a help there >_<

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-09 10:36:19 — Link

cool art.

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

• Nightingale

Posted at 2014-09-11 20:02:33 — Link

Thanks. Do you have suggestions for other colors?

• NightbaneWolf
  • User

Posted at 2014-09-12 17:32:40 — Link

Umm..colors like Bubbly Blue? SeaFoam White? Coral Red? Pearly White? Swampy Green? Seaweed Green? Misty gray? Rocky Dune? Lichen Green? Iridescent Shine? Ocean Glow? Midnight Luminescence? 

http://beastkeeper.com/thread/7942

Psst hey, i'm hosting an art contest where you can win a Premium Membership from

« Prev | 1 2 ... 5 6 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla