Boards < General < Player Guides < Deviant Breeding Guide

Boards

« Prev | 1 2 3 | Next »

• Monues
  • User

Posted at 2016-06-24 22:37:49 — Link

A deviant is a rare color mutation that can happen in several species. This mutation alters the color or pattern, sometimes both, that the animal has. A white unicorn can become pink, a black dragon purple, a spotted puma turns cheetah, a bicolor roc can turn into a parrot, and so much more.

Currently the species that can produce these mutations are the unicorn, dragon, roc, gryphon, and puma. There is a deviant version of every color and pattern, and combination of both, for each of these species. You can see images for every possible outcome in the Help < List of Skins, scroll below the normal skins.

These mutations only show up in captive bred pets and do not occur in the wild.

When breeding two pets that have perfect deviant making genetics, the chances for their offpsing to be deviant is only 1/10. This means an average female will produce about two to three deviants before her breeding points run out, if lucky. This makes deviants very rare and valuable. They always fetch a high price in the auctions because of their rarity, and the rarer the color they mutated from the more valuable they are. Double deviants, which have a mutation for both their color and pattern, are the rarest of all deviants and are exceptionally beautiful.

Breeding a deviant is not an easy task, and you should not go into it expecting results right away. If you do not have the right pairing, that 1/10 chance suddenly becomes much less favorable. My guide will focus on starting out in the best possible way to have the greatest chances of getting a deviant. Unicorns will be the example, and gray color deviant will be the imaginary goal. The same steps/rules apply to any color or pattern deviant you are wanting to go for. Just switch out the words wherever you see gray.

After you have decided what you want to breed, in this case it will a gray color unicorn deviant, you need to find or breed the best female for the job. Many suitable males can be found in breeding offers, and isnt as high as a concern.

The best possible female for this job will look like this:

She has  homozygous Gray. This means both her dominant and recessive color is the same, which is exactly what you want. You can buy a female like this in the auctions, or breed your own. The more females you get like this, the better odds you have at getting a deviant because more offpsring are being produced.

So youve got your female. Now you need to find a male. Head off to the breeding offers first. Open the advanced search and check the bubble for homozygous, then select gray as the gene youre looking for.

Here's a male I found in there.

If you want a certain pattern to go along with the gray deviance, instead of any random pattern, you will want to find a pair that has that pattern dominant. It being homozygous doesnt matter as much. This will not give double deviant, those are bred in a differnt manner and will be explained below.

Now you have your pair/s, all you do now is breed them together and wait. Do some luck rituals, go find some four leaf clovers, or just pass the time with tv. Most likely you will not get a deviant on first try, or second, or third. You will instantly be able to tell if the baby is deviant or not when it is born. If there is a * next to its color, then you got a deviant.

Here's what it looks like on a white unicorn:

Uncovering its genes will reveal if it has become a color or pattern deviant. If you are low on vermillion but have premium membership you can use the pet search to find out what it is. All pets in the search show an adult image instead of a newborn's.

So now youve got a deviant, and your eyes are now on a shiny double deviant. A double deviant is extremely rare, as you need two deviants to get one and then it is a 1/100 chance for the offspring to carry both mutations. So let's say we want a gray zebra double deviant.

To get this, first youll need to get or breed a zebra deviant and a gray deviant. The zebra deviant must be gray, and the gray deviant must be a zebra. So like these two:

Zebra deviant thats gray       Gray deviant thats a zebra

Getting them, of course, is the hardest part. As once you have them you just breed them together and hope for the best. Your female will probably run out of breeding points before getting a double deviant. In this case you can level her to 50 will all food points in strength, feed her bamboo berries, use yellow fish eggs, or find the building in explore that restores a breeding point. Or simply replace her.

There are ways to increase your luck when breeding deviants. There are several items to increase the chances that the offpspring will be deviant. Of course the pairing must be able to produce a deviant naturally. Or, as explained by the item "This item doesn't alter the genetics of parents or baby. Parents still must be eligible for producing a deviant child for this item to have effect."

There are three items that can increase your odds, all of which are called Deviant Color Amplifier. Don't let the name fool you, it works on patterns and double deviants as well.

100% DCA 100% DCA
Obtained from a special gift bag during last winter. The gift bag can no longer be given, but the 100% DCA can be traded.

http://beastkeeper.com/resources/items/warlock_items/50-dca.png50% DCA
An item from the warlock exchange station that opens during special events.

http://beastkeeper.com/resources/items/warlock_items/20-dca.png 20% DCA
An item from the warlock exchange station that opens during special events.

Along with increasing your odds, there is also an item that will completly remove the deviance from the pet. Mutagen, if it happens to change the gene that is deviant, will remove the deviance from your pet. An event item called deviance extractor will also remove the deviance. Both are irreversable.

Deviant pets arrived to Beastkeeper in 2014. The very first species to get deviance was the unicorn, followed by dragons, rocs, then pumas. Below are the links to the news posts of their introductions.
Deviant Puma Introduction
Deviant Roc Introduction
Deviant Dragon Introduction
Deviant Unicorn Introduction

If you are still confused about how to breed a deviant, or if I accidently left something out, Timain's Deviant Guide explains how to breed deviants as well as will probably help you.

A [Signiture Box] Left Text Layer 2 SalePerfects by RavensMournB [Signiture Box] Middle by RavensMournC [Signiture Box] Right by RavensMourn

• Echo-
  • User

Posted at 2017-04-09 16:19:29 — Link

SO helpful! Thank you so much for posting this!

s h o o k e t h

• jazzyyazi
  • User

Posted at 2017-04-29 20:16:24 — Link

Me to i'm the 1% who would do bolth.

Yazmin

• Zestful0
  • User

Posted at 2017-12-03 18:18:35 — Link

Thanks! This was helpful!

• Bearski06
  • User

Posted at 2018-02-23 05:13:41 — Link

I would be the 1% that does both. In dire nned of rainbow jars

Bearski06

• Firehawk
  • User

Posted at 2020-05-17 04:07:09 — Link

I didnt know about the color genes part!! I NEED TO GET VERMILLION XD 

Im FireAuraDragon, I changed my name for personal reasons :)

Slayer of the Auras and Queen of the Land of Phoenix

Alexas Writing Contest! (Giving Out Prizes)

Also a Deviant and GP3 Breeder!

The Fire Market- Custom Deviant Breeding!

On To The Pet Shows!

The Current Show Is A Deviant Gryphon Show!

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2020-05-18 22:41:25 — Link

You can get between 5 and 9 or so vermillion per Lava Crystal guardian that you defeat in the Volcano biome.

Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Random acts of senseless kindness.

• Gemerator2
  • User

Posted at 2021-03-26 16:46:17 — Link

Wow TYSM!!!

• _S_U_G_A_R_
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-05 19:05:46 — Link

me: tries to breed a dev
me:failes
me: accidentllay breeds unicorn*
me: gets a dev*

• _S_U_G_A_R_
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-05 19:06:58 — Link

lol it was random

• _S_U_G_A_R_
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-05 19:07:35 — Link

i named it OMG I DIDNT MEAN TO GET A DEV

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-05 23:31:11 — Link

Haha congrats.

• _S_U_G_A_R_
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-06 16:27:31 — Link

• _S_U_G_A_R_
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-06 16:29:28 — Link

• arete
  • User

Posted at 2021-04-08 00:29:24 — Link

Your messages are empty?

« Prev | 1 2 3 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla