Boards < General < News & Announcements < Skin Base Coloring Tutorial

Boards

« Prev | 1 | Next »

• Angel
  • Game Developer

Posted at 2013-03-07 05:17:50 — Link

We had a lot of questions about coloring the single-layer bases. We offer all interesed players to read this short tutorial :)

Read the tutorial

• Red
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 08:44:39 — Link

omg, why isn't this an official skin? ; D ; It's so pretty!

I use the same technique on Paint Tool Sai, just that in SAI, you don't press alt, but there's an option you can tick on the top of the layers on the layer panel. It's one of the Preserve Opacity, Clipping Group and Selection Source.

1. Select your base layer
  2. Make a new layer
  3. Select new layer
  4. Tick Clipping Group option.
  5. If you see a pink line on the layer, it means it's clipped on to the layer below it

It'll give the same effect as ALTing between two layers on Photoshop. You can also clip on Folders on SAI so you can organize it easier. :D I use PS CS5 and I can't clip folders. IDK if it's possible on the newer versions.

• SpaceShipRat
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 12:36:50 — Link

Great tutorial!

I always have problems finding the multiply option and such on Gimp :(

• Phasian
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 13:59:57 — Link

Very cool to see how you create these pet colorations. Thanks!

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 14:04:03 — Link

I was wondering how the colours always came out so clean. Very helpful!

* Winter is coming *

• Nightingale

Posted at 2013-03-07 18:11:29 — Link

This is fantastic! Thank you. :)

I love this skin! It should be one of the official ones it is that awesome!

Always looking for Expand Stable Scrolls

Chan eil aon chànan gu leòr

• RedRarebit
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 19:31:22 — Link

One thing I've noticed - the greyscale images that we have to work with have a background. Is there any way to get versions without? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm hopeless at going around the edges to remove one.

My mistake, no they don't.

* Winter is coming *

• Shadow
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-07 20:10:10 — Link

For those of you in GIMP, there isn't any mask thing. So what you do is you right click the layer with the stuff on it and you select "Alpha to selection"

It should select only the image, so you can't color outside the lines.

Also, how to select Multiply in GIMP is to go to the toolbar where your layers are, go to near the top, and there should be a dropdown bar that says "Normal" click on that and multiply should be one of your options.

If anyone needs any help, just ask me. I've got GIMP, SAI, and Fire Alpaca knowledge. :3

(Alternately, if you want, you can use one of the PSDs for the pets found in the creative section, as a sticky thread. They are set up specifically to make things easier. Mine in particular have the shading, highlights, lineart, and base all on different layers.  That means you can draw directly on the base, and not need to worry about messing up the shading or anything. And if you want, you can color the shading and the lineart :3)

Hello there! My name is Shadow, and I specialize in the collecting and breeding of gryphons. If you'd like to breed with one of my males, or purchase any of my non-gryphons, just shoot me a message!

• Mouse
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-08 00:56:07 — Link

Thank you so much! This guide is a life-saver.

I call Vermillion "Vermi"

I occasionally use an IPad- please excuse spellcheck.

• Dr_Starchild
  • User

Posted at 2013-03-12 02:17:10 — Link

oh COME ON! :( How is making stats invisible during taming any use? we can't even sort in tabs which pets we'll want to sell, or start sales threads for them!

« Prev | 1 | Next »

Xsolla is an authorized global distributor of BeastKeeper
Xsolla